Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siren on Softail

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
overthehill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Siren on Softail

My understanding is that the disabler, disables the ignition and a thief can't start the engine. The key will do the same thing. Apparently, the thinking is that you sometimes want to run into a store without using the key to lock the ignition and just press the button to lock the ignition. My bike already had this device on it. I think it is a TOTAL waste of money without the alarm.There is always a gimmick to get more money. Buy a saddlebag and you got to purchase a docking kit. Same thing with a windshield and tool box.But hey. That's the American Way these day. Stick you for profit man.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Is it my imagination or did they change the terminology of what a security system is. When we bought my bike (2002), we installed a "security system" (disabler and audio alarm), when hubby purchased his Deuce (2003), it came from the factory with a "security system" (disabler and audio alarm); When we bought his street glide this year (2007), we asked to have a "security system" installed (didn't come with it from factory) and they only installed the disabler.

Boyhowdy! I can tell he was a little hot under the collar when we had to pay more for the audio alarm. I just can't understand why the audio alarm isn't part of the "security system" now. It certainly used to be. What the heck good is just a disabler? If you can't hear an alarm, how the heck would you know someone is messin with your scoot?

Exactly - All the disabler does is keep people from starting it up and riding off. It doesn't help if somebody wants to throw it in a truck or push it down the street. The lights flash when the alarm goes off - Worthless! What I don't like is that is isn't really made clear to the customer that their "security system" they are ordering with the bike is really only 75% of a security system.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deadeye....... Well, if you bought the bike in Japan, it's got a siren. All the international models come with the siren. It's clearly stated in the manual you got.

When they send it off they unplug it. The siren is directly under your seat in front of the inner back fender. There is a cable that goes down to it, it is unplugged, ...... plug it in.

It's a little tricky, you might want to get a friend with another screwdriver on the other side to help with it. If you both push the cable into the slot at the same time it goes in easy.

I had the exact same problem with mine, I phoned up my dealership and they explained it, ....they just forget to plug it back in again before giving you the bike.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Demkay,

My bike is US spec (49 state)bought through Military Sales. Its security system does not include a siren. Its sort of a hassle having a US spec bike here but if I bought a Japan spec bike itmight be a hassle to take it to the states.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 AM
L3ft2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Demkay

deadeye....... Well, if you bought the bike in Japan, it's got a siren. All the international models come with the siren. It's clearly stated in the manual you got.

When they send it off they unplug it. The siren is directly under your seat in front of the inner back fender. There is a cable that goes down to it, it is unplugged, ...... plug it in.

It's a little tricky, you might want to get a friend with another screwdriver on the other side to help with it. If you both push the cable into the slot at the same time it goes in easy.

I had the exact same problem with mine, I phoned up my dealership and they explained it, ....they just forget to plug it back in again before giving you the bike.
I purchased a new '06 RKC in March in S. Korea and it only came with the disabler. It comes with this unit by default, and you have to purchase the smart siren seperately. We are receiving stateside models, not international models if you are US military and buying through the NEX or PX new car sales program.

I purchased an RPG-650 upgrade kit from airtronix (thunderpage) on E-bay for around $40 that plugs right into the disabler add-on plug and it adds the enhanced security module, siren (125db) and pager.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe adding the HD paging capability is an additional cost above putting on the Smart siren II.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, ok, didn't realize they were US models. I think it's kind of silly having an alarm without a siren though.

I'm thinking of replacing the Smart siren for a smart siren 2 and putting a pager on it. Not really for theft but because I've come back 3 times now; and when I've turned the ignition; the bike has "beeped", meaning that the alarm has gone off.

I'm getting kind of bored of coming back to see some girl posing on it, or some guy on it twisting the throttle. Also the other day someone told me that a women had scratched the pillion with a high heel whilst demounting. She actually did not but there was a small mark that i had to get off.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Just got the siren popped in and works great. Didn't need a lift. Thanks for all advise!