Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak around bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015 | 07:25 PM
Rollerbones
|
Stage III
Question Oil leak around bolt

I seem to have a slight leak around 1 bolt under the engine.
Not sure what I should try to do. Any suggestions?

Its a 2009 FatBoy

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak around bolt-img_0001.jpg   Oil leak around bolt-img_0002.jpg  

Last edited by Rollerbones; 03-24-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2015 | 08:43 PM
jm35ny
Tourer

Hard to tell by the picture but i`d bet it the leak is coming from higher up and running down

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-30-2017)
Old 03-24-2015 | 08:46 PM
Rollerbones
|
Stage III

I only see it around the bolt. I just cleaned it all up so il will keep an eye on it and see if it comes from above.

Old 03-24-2015 | 08:48 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

I had a slight leak around a rear cylinder head bolt. I tried tightning it some, did'nt have any idea what the torque value was. Still leaked a little after next ride so I tightned it a little more & it stopped.

Old 03-24-2015 | 08:52 PM
IrIeSpringer420
Tourer

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I had a slight leak around a rear cylinder head bolt. I tried tightning it some, did'nt have any idea what the torque value was. Still leaked a little after next ride so I tightned it a little more & it stopped.
ya thats what i would try fo sho. see if you can get a little turn on it

Old 05-30-2017 | 04:06 PM
adognharley
Intermediate
Default I have the same oil seepage from the same bolt :-0

Hey Rollerbones,

I know your post was a year ago, but I have the same very slow leak on that same bolt.

Did you just try to tighten it a little? Mine is too tight already for the small size wrench or socket drive that fits in that space.

I wold love to hear what you did.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 05-30-2017 | 07:28 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Alan,

I see you've been lurking for 4 years. Actually, Rollerbones last post was over two years ago. His last post on the forum was 20 April 2015 and the last time he logged on to the forum was 21 June 2015. It's unlikely he's active so there is a very small chance we'll know the solution to his problem.

First, what year and model bike do you have? It would help to post better pictures than Rollerbones did. If you are unsure how to do that, read this thread.

Old 05-31-2017 | 07:16 AM
adognharley
Intermediate
Default I have the same oil seepage from the same bolt :-0

Thanks Bone Doc (nice dogs, & bike, by the way).

I did not realize it's been 2 years since his last post. I also did not realize I have been "lurking" for 4 years ;-)

I have scoured the internet to see if anyone else describes this particular oil leak and Rollerbones is the only person who seems to be experiencing the same leak. I plan to go by my buddy's shop and see if he has a longer wrench giving me more leverage in the tight space between the bolt head and the frame so I can get a little more turn on it. But it is a very small drip.

The picture he took of the bolt is good. It's just not clear as to the bolt's location. He must have been laying down on the brake pedal side of the bike shooting up at the bottom of the motor. The bolt is located on the bottom of the engine about 3 inches behind the front motor mount(on a touring bike). There are only two bolts under the motor somewhat centered. And they look like they are keeping the engine cases together ??? The head of the bolts are on the kick stand side but are best looked at, and accessed from the brake pedal side if the bike is on the kick stand.

I appreciate your response. I added a better pic than Roller bones did, but his is good as long as it is clear where he took the pic from.
Oh, and as far as my bike, it is a 2000 Road King Classic with 95,000 miles. It was aggressively modified with 130 ft/lbs of torque at about 50,000 miles.

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited by adognharley; 05-31-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2017 | 07:44 AM
adognharley
Intermediate
Old 05-31-2017 | 07:54 AM
adognharley
Intermediate

close up, taken front to back of bike about 3 inches behind the motor mount.

taken just under the motor mount. It's the bolt in the middle. Not the one close and to the right.

Last edited by adognharley; 05-31-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak around bolt