Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts
Lightbulb Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade

So I've been working on trying to put together a "drop in" list of upgrade performance parts for the Breakout front forks, ideally the Progressive Monotube since it is a dual design and externally adjustable, and does not require drilling out the stock dampers.

Please have a look over my findings and let me know if it seems like what I'm coming up with might work.

Unfortunately, none of the typical aftermarket shock companies make or list anything specific for FXSB. I called Progressive and the response was lukewarm at best, they are completely not interested in making any monotubes for the Breakout, and "maybe" will have springs at some point. I tried to dig a bit to see if some of the existing monotubes for 49mm FXDB, FXDWG or general FXD would work, but again, they are really not interested in helping out much.

Race Tech was extremely helpful and very nice to talk with. Their Gold Valves and linear rate springs would be my "plan b" if the Progressive Monotubes to dot work out. I will list the parts that Race Tech told me to order for FXSB, which of course anyone here can order and have a better setup than stock for a pretty low cost. I think the Race Tech setup would be fine, but I would prefer an externally adjustable set without having to drop way over a grand on a set of Ohlins or Traxxion. Also the Race Tech's require drilling out the stock dampers, which is a bit more work, but not overall too bad.

That said, this is what I have found.
Progressive makes a monotube for all current FXD's from 06 to current.

REF: http://www.progressivesuspension.com...r-hd-2006-dyna
P/N 31-2519 is for 06-14 FXDs (Street Bob ok) except for Wide Glides & Fat Bob
P/N 31-2521 is for 2010-2014 FXDWG

>>The Breakout fork tubes are 25.5" 49mm
>>The FXD Street / Fat Bob fork tubes are the same 25.5" and 49mm
>>The FXDWG fork tubes are 27" and 49mm

These fork tubes are interchangeable with the Breakout- Several folks with Breakouts and Street / Fat Bob's have swapped their 25.5 tubes for the longer 27 FXDWG tubes, to get a bit more height on the front end. All that is required is a bit longer preload spacer and the WG tubes, it's direct swap and retains existing springs and dampers.
REF: http://breakoutowners.forumotion.com...on-upgrade#145

Given this- would it not make sense that the Progressive Monotube for FXD, FXDB would drop right in to the Breakout? Same length and diameter fork tubes. Sound logic or am I missing something here mechanically?

RACE TECH:

Here are the parts listing for the Race Tech gold valves and linear rate springs. All parts on their site are listed under FXDB, and will work fine for the FXSB. They suggested I go with a 1.1kg spring, given my weight of 180 and more aggressive riding style. You need to call them before ordering to make sure you choose the correct rate spring for your need. Most of you will want a 1.1 spring for a Dyna / Softail non-bagger.

FXDB springs & emulator http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...%20Bob/2008-13

Race Tech FEGV S4901 Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulator For Harley-Davidson 49mm Forks - About $150 depending where you purchase.

Race Tech Linear Rate Springs: FRSP 4430 Series, about $129 depending where you buy. The 4430 comes in different spring rates, for example, the 1.1 spring is P/N SP4430110 - the last three numbers is the spring rate. - see link above there is a spring rate selector.

COMPLETE RACE TECH FORK SPRING / EMULATOR KIT 49MM FORK FXDB - Part# FLEK S49

- Kit comes with emulators and both a regular height spring and a lowering spring - $284.99 - Call to order this kit (it is not online), and select your spring rate. Heavier riders or wheelie kings can go with a 1.2, 1.3,1.4 or 1.5 spring. But 1.1 is pretty darn stiff so don't overdo it.

Tech notes - Use 15wt oil - fill to 160mm from top of collapsed fork tube

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

well I guess this was the wrong place to post this- mods you can close this thread or move if needed.

Ordered new front suspension for the Breakout -

I spoke with Ricor (Brian) and Race Tech, and Progressive, and Works about front fork upgrade options for the Breakout. Both Ricor and Race Tech were helpful - Brain at Ricor was by far the most knowledgeable on the FXSB and proper setups, and recommended the Race Tech springs to go with their 49mm Ricor Intiminators.

Progressive was not helpful and not very interested in offering up tech information, Works was downright insulting.

I just ordered the following:
49mm Ricor Iniminators for 06+ Dyna / VRod - P/N 049-20-1001 ($179)
Race Tech linear springs, 1.0kg, for 2013 FXDB - P/N FRSP S4430100 ($129, hd forum members get 10% discount)
Lucas 5wt Fork Oil, 2qt, ($13 shipped total for both on Amazon)

The above parts were recommended by Brian at Ricor, based on my rider weight of 195 w/ gear and riding style (agressive). You could go with a .95kg spring if you want slightly less stiffness.

Install:
Drain fork oil, remove stock prelaod spacer and springs. Drop-in the Ricor and new springs, then modify the preload spacer. You want 1" of preload on the spacer, so you will need to cut the stock spacer.

With the shock top bolts off, Ricors and Race Tech springs installed and preload spacer sticking out of top, mark the preload spacer right at the top line of shock tube - cut the preload spacers (or make new ones) so the spacer is sitting level with top of fork tube uncompressed. Then the put on the fork tube bolt, it is about 7/8" long so it will give you about 1" of preload on the spacer.

Fork oil- 1.6 qt total, that's .8qt per fork. Brian says the newer bikes after 09 should use 5wt oil, and bikes from 06-09 should use 10wt. this applies to all 49mm fork tubes.

So a benefit from going this route is you do not need to remove your fork tubes from bike, and you do not need to remove or drill out the stock damper. Seems like it should be relatively easy to do and the cost is not bad.

I'll let everyone know how it went after I've installed and tested, in the "Everything Breakout" thread.

For the Rear shock, Brian recommended the Works softail shock as a good match to the front. Although talking to Works really pissed me off, I guess I'll have to suck it up and order one of their rears.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
well I guess this was the wrong place to post this- mods you can close this thread or move if needed...

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out. Get it together yet?

What about the tires?

You doing the front and rear suspension upgrades and the new tires all at once?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:25 AM
TerminalAddict
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gone through this install myself on my FXDF.

I chose the Race Tech option (progressives weren't an option here)
Same part numbers.
I put a 0.9 Kg/mm spring in the left, and a 1.0 Kg/mm spring in the right, to achieve a combined effort of 0.95 Kg/mm.

I also put in Ohlins HD022 shocks on the back.
some pics here:
http://terminaladdict.com/2015/03/23...nsion-upgrade/

I'm an ex-sports biker. My previous bike had Ohlilns/RaceTech combo, so this was an easy decision for me.

The stock shock is 300mm, whilst the Ohlins is 336mm. This has resulted in added ride height of about 15mm, even still my cornering speed has immediately increased, and now I back to scraping floor boards.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSR
Well, I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out. Get it together yet?

What about the tires?

You doing the front and rear suspension upgrades and the new tires all at once?
Thanks- I'm waiting on parts to arrive this week, time permitting I should have it on by next week. Been spending weekends out at the desert house riding the YZ426F through the trails. Excellent weather right now before it gets too hot. Anyway got maintenance to do on the dirt bikes as well.. just too many toys..

I'm swapping out the tires for Pirelli Night Dragons, and changing the front to a 120/70/21. That 130, flat faced front has no business being on there, and the OE dunlop compounds are not confidence inspiring at all. The Pirelli's are lighter, stickier, and have a better apex profile. I run Avon Cobras on my Big Dog FXR style custom and it rides on rails. same 120/70/21 up front on the same size wheel as the BO. the 240 Avon is really heavy though so kicked them out for the BO in favor of the Pirelli's

I will leave the front brakes alone for now and toss in some EBC HH pads up front, see how she goes after the suspension / tires, and go from there.

Still have to do the rear, either Works or something else linear with good damping. that will be next either before or after front brake changes. probably before.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TerminalAddict
I've just gone through this install myself on my FXDF.

I chose the Race Tech option (progressives weren't an option here)
Same part numbers.
I put a 0.9 Kg/mm spring in the left, and a 1.0 Kg/mm spring in the right, to achieve a combined effort of 0.95 Kg/mm.

I also put in Ohlins HD022 shocks on the back.
some pics here:
http://terminaladdict.com/2015/03/23...nsion-upgrade/

I'm an ex-sports biker. My previous bike had Ohlilns/RaceTech combo, so this was an easy decision for me.

The stock shock is 300mm, whilst the Ohlins is 336mm. This has resulted in added ride height of about 15mm, even still my cornering speed has immediately increased, and now I back to scraping floor boards.
Right on brother, I appreciate your info - I'll check out the Ohlins, but I'm somewhat limited with rear choices due to the softail style of shock mountings. Works seems to be the best bet. I'll get it to the best it can be, at least.. SAFE to ride. I've got the Big Dog for getting crazy on in the canyons, it's an FXR style frame with outboard rear shocks like your Dyna, and inverted forks (which rock!).

I was looking at the Ohlins drop in cartridges for the Breakout front, but that's way overkill. The Breakout will never be able to use them to full potential so it's a lot of coin wasted.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 PM
TerminalAddict
Intermediate

Right on brother, I appreciate your info - I'll check out the Ohlins, but I'm somewhat limited with rear choices due to the softail style of shock mountings. Works seems to be the best bet. I'll get it to the best it can be, at least.. SAFE to ride. I've got the Big Dog for getting crazy on in the canyons, it's an FXR style frame with outboard rear shocks like your Dyna, and inverted forks (which rock!).

I was looking at the Ohlins drop in cartridges for the Breakout front, but that's way overkill. The Breakout will never be able to use them to full potential so it's a lot of coin wasted.
Oh yeah, softails .. could be tricky sorting the back end, but gas on from the apex to exit is well worth the rear end re-shock so much more compliant!

I agree, the Ohlins cartridge is overkill. If this was Duc 675 on a track, then sure, but my concern was road compliance; The bike takes care of me doing anything silly just by not being able to lean over any further.
I reckon the emulators, and linear springs are f@#Ken' epic.
Trail breaking on the front into a corner I get no crazy bouncing in the forks.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I've put 1000kms on, in the last week, on new suspension, and the difference is night and day! (but I reckon the stock FXDF suspension was pretty average at best)

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM
TerminalAddict
Intermediate

....I'm swapping out the tires for Pirelli Night Dragons, and changing the front to a 120/70/21. That 130, flat faced front has no business being on there, and the OE dunlop compounds are not confidence inspiring at all. The Pirelli's are lighter, stickier, and have a better apex profile. I run Avon Cobras on my Big Dog FXR style custom and it rides on rails. same 120/70/21 up front on the same size wheel as the BO. the 240 Avon is really heavy though so kicked them out for the BO in favor of the Pirelli's.....
Just read this !
D427's feels like knobblies .. but I haven't had any issues with them yet (I'm surprised ! ). They are 3 times the price of Avon's or Metzelers, so when they wear out, I won't be getting Dunlops! will probably go the Metzeler ME888/880 route (experience with Metzeler's).

I've never ridden Avon's before so good hear encouraging comments about them, will be tough decision come tyre replacement time

Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Just read this !
D427's feels like knobblies .. but I haven't had any issues with them yet (I'm surprised ! ). They are 3 times the price of Avon's or Metzelers, so when they wear out, I won't be getting Dunlops! will probably go the Metzeler ME888/880 route (experience with Metzeler's).

I've never ridden Avon's before so good hear encouraging comments about them, will be tough decision come tyre replacement time
What size are your wheels brother- I'd steer you away from the Metzlers, they are made by Pirelli, I was just talking with Pirelli techs yesterday. Metzlers are a higher mileage tire like the dunlops, not sticky like the Avon Cobra, or Pirelli Night Dragon. The Night Dragon is made for heavy bikes but with sport compound, good apex geometry, less mileage out of the tire but you're gonna stick to the road without having to heat up the sucker first. Same with the Avon Cobras. Now, I have not yet installed or tested the Night Dragons- they should be here by Friday - so I reserve final judgment until after that, but the specs look good and the Pirelli techs were quite knowledgeable. They didn't even bad mouth the Avons.

I know the Avons well, and ****-to-sure you'll be pleased as hell riding on them in any sort of sporty manner. The ones on my Big Dog are 160/80/16 rear and 120/70/21 front. Only reason I did not get the Avons for the Breakout is the Avon 240 tire is freaking heavy, and I'm trying to reduce rotational mass - the Pirelli's are several pounds lighter on their 240. Their Diablo is the lightest, but unfortunately they don't make a matching 21" front.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh yeah, softails .. could be tricky sorting the back end, but gas on from the apex to exit is well worth the rear end re-shock so much more compliant!

I agree, the Ohlins cartridge is overkill. If this was Duc 675 on a track, then sure, but my concern was road compliance; The bike takes care of me doing anything silly just by not being able to lean over any further.
I reckon the emulators, and linear springs are f@#Ken' epic.
Trail breaking on the front into a corner I get no crazy bouncing in the forks.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I've put 1000kms on, in the last week, on new suspension, and the difference is night and day! (but I reckon the stock FXDF suspension was pretty average at best)
yup- im all about the Ohlins for sport / track bikes, where you actually use the damn thing and then some.

I've been on two wheels since before I got a license (first bike, a Yamaha DT90 enduro cost me $50. damn thing had a leaky engine seal and I'd have to pull over and clean the plug every 45 mins). my first "real" street bike was a Kawasaki KZ550, black, almost new. Paid $1200 for it at the dealer. that bike scared the **** out of me.

not too long before I was modding the intake / exhaust etc and hitting 120+ as often as I could. I have the tickets to prove it.. lol - From there, after a couple (knucklehead) low sides in the mountains on sharp turns, went to Riverside Raceway riding school, got some learnin' and got into the track circuit- 600cc class, raced for awhile- nothing serious just having fun. Have had sport bikes of all types ever since, and I was usually the guy you saw riding wheelies on the freeway at 70mph, ditching CHP, or doing gratuitous rolling stoppies for the ladies. But now that I'm a lot older and realized "hey- i actually LIVED through all of that", I swapped out to some American Iron and slowed it down a bit. But, I still ride with a certain level of expectation on machine performance, e.g. I'm not used to a runway-long braking distance on a bike.

Quick Reply: Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade