Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

glad to help- i think you'll be extremely pleased with this change, especially if you also get rid of the stock dunlop tires for the Pirelli Diablo's mentioned in my DIY thread. those stock tires really suck. bad. they don't do anything good, they don't turn well, the rear tire does not stick, and the tire faces are too flat. the front tire is way too wide at 130. this is the #1 reason everyone complains about the bad turn-in behavior on the Breakout especially at low speeds. massive difference with the Diablo tires. massive. not exaggerating in the least. Freeway guys may not care since it's all straight line stuff anyway, but anyone riding this as a town bike or in an aggressive manner will notice the difference straight away.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
glad to help- i think you'll be extremely pleased with this change, especially if you also get rid of the stock dunlop tires for the Pirelli Diablo's mentioned in my DIY thread. those stock tires really suck. bad. they don't do anything good, they don't turn well, the rear tire does not stick, and the tire faces are too flat. the front tire is way too wide at 130. this is the #1 reason everyone complains about the bad turn-in behavior on the Breakout especially at low speeds. massive difference with the Diablo tires. massive. not exaggerating in the least. Freeway guys may not care since it's all straight line stuff anyway, but anyone riding this as a town bike or in an aggressive manner will notice the difference straight away.
My only experience with Pirellis was on a car decades ago. The darn things were street magnets, so I have no doubt whatsoever about your assessment of these. That said, last season I purchased F&R tires for the BO and they were both E3's; a 250 rear and 120 front. Only the 250 rear has been installed and the improvement in handling over the OEM rear has made for naturally more aggressive riding with no loss of confidence. This is what has brought me to the realization that the dippy front end had to go. At my age I don't push it at all. This is just an evolutionary thing with me. I've got some riding to do on these E3's for now but I hear your endorsement of the Diablos loud and clear.

Thanx again.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
My only experience with Pirellis was on a car decades ago. The darn things were street magnets, so I have no doubt whatsoever about your assessment of these. That said, last season I purchased F&R tires for the BO and they were both E3's; a 250 rear and 120 front. Only the 250 rear has been installed and the improvement in handling over the OEM rear has made for naturally more aggressive riding with no loss of confidence. This is what has brought me to the realization that the dippy front end had to go. At my age I don't push it at all. This is just an evolutionary thing with me. I've got some riding to do on these E3's for now but I hear your endorsement of the Diablos loud and clear.

Thanx again.
Cool- glad you got rid of those stock tires. yup going with the 120/70 front (which is actually correct for the rim size) makes a big diff. another thing I liked about the Diablos is they are very lightweight- and perfectly balanced. I am not running any weights front or rear, or dyna beads, and both wheels ran perfectly true on the roadforce balancer. the PM wheels are perfectly balanced by design, so any imbalance would be tire related. pretty impressive, I did not expect that side benefit.

Good luck with the remainder of mods- those HH+ front brake pads work excellent too (also in my DIY thread)- you'll notice the added bite cold or hot.