Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TerminalAddict
I've just gone through this install myself on my FXDF.

I chose the Race Tech option (progressives weren't an option here)
Same part numbers.
I put a 0.9 Kg/mm spring in the left, and a 1.0 Kg/mm spring in the right, to achieve a combined effort of 0.95 Kg/mm.

I also put in Ohlins HD022 shocks on the back.
some pics here:
http://terminaladdict.com/2015/03/23...nsion-upgrade/

I'm an ex-sports biker. My previous bike had Ohlilns/RaceTech combo, so this was an easy decision for me.

The stock shock is 300mm, whilst the Ohlins is 336mm. This has resulted in added ride height of about 15mm, even still my cornering speed has immediately increased, and now I back to scraping floor boards.
Did you just do the springs up front or also do emulators? If you only did springs, go check out the Ricors - no modding required to your stock damper / they just drop in and you refill with 5w. I think you'll appreciate the added damping control, whether it's Race Tech's gold emulators or the Ricors. plus they are not an expensive part.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-25-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 PM
TerminalAddict
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Did you just do the springs up front or also do emulators? If you only did springs, go check out the Ricors - no modding required to your stock damper / they just drop in and you refill with 5w. I think you'll appreciate the added damping control, whether it's Race Tech's gold emulators or the Ricors. plus they are not an expensive part.
Springs + gold emulators (FEGV-S4901).
drilled the fork tubes to equal diameter of the internal fork tubes to allow free flowing oil, then emulators in

Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

I shoulda figured that, and obviously they're working well for ya-

Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Completed the Breakout upgrade and just got back from an aggressive test ride- Race Tech 1.0kg springs, Ricor Intiminators, Pirelli Night Dragon Tires, EBC HH+ front pads. Seriously, no exaggerating, night and day difference. Rear tire sticks, no more nose dive, no more floppy turns. Now it rides how it ought to, IMO probably one of the most significant beneficial changes that can be done to this bike.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-07-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Updated and consolidated all of my Breakout front fork / tire / brake upgrades into one sticky in the Softail forum- Part numbers, install tips, tools required etc:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ools-tips.html

Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 PM
TerminalAddict
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool man!
I just spent the weekend testing my suspension
amazing !!!

video here if you're interested
http://nznet.info/yPxCQL
Completed the Breakout upgrade and just got back from an aggressive test ride- Race Tech 1.0kg springs, Ricor Intiminators, Pirelli Night Dragon Tires, EBC HH+ front pads. Seriously, no exaggerating, night and day difference. Rear tire sticks, no more nose dive, no more floppy turns. Now it rides how it ought to, IMO probably one of the most significant beneficial changes that can be done to this bike.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:13 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

That's cool- I suppose I should get a video up sometime too. Seriously amazing difference on how the bike rides / handles / brakes eh? night and fraking day.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

well I guess this was the wrong place to post this- mods you can close this thread or move if needed.

Ordered new front suspension for the Breakout -

I spoke with Ricor (Brian) and Race Tech, and Progressive, and Works about front fork upgrade options for the Breakout. Both Ricor and Race Tech were helpful - Brain at Ricor was by far the most knowledgeable on the FXSB and proper setups, and recommended the Race Tech springs to go with their 49mm Ricor Intiminators.

Progressive was not helpful and not very interested in offering up tech information, Works was downright insulting.

I just ordered the following:
49mm Ricor Iniminators for 06+ Dyna / VRod - P/N 049-20-1001 ($179)
Race Tech linear springs, 1.0kg, for 2013 FXDB - P/N FRSP S4430100 ($129, hd forum members get 10% discount)

Lucas 5wt Fork Oil, 2qt, ($13 shipped total for both on Amazon)

The above parts were recommended by Brian at Ricor, based on my rider weight of 195 w/ gear and riding style (agressive). You could go with a .95kg spring if you want slightly less stiffness.

Install:
Drain fork oil, remove stock prelaod spacer and springs. Drop-in the Ricor and new springs, then modify the preload spacer. You want 1" of preload on the spacer, so you will need to cut the stock spacer.

With the shock top bolts off, Ricors and Race Tech springs installed and preload spacer sticking out of top, mark the preload spacer right at the top line of shock tube - cut the preload spacers (or make new ones) so the spacer is sitting level with top of fork tube uncompressed. Then the put on the fork tube bolt, it is about 7/8" long so it will give you about 1" of preload on the spacer.

Fork oil- 1.6 qt total, that's .8qt per fork. Brian says the newer bikes after 09 should use 5wt oil, and bikes from 06-09 should use 10wt. this applies to all 49mm fork tubes.

So a benefit from going this route is you do not need to remove your fork tubes from bike, and you do not need to remove or drill out the stock damper. Seems like it should be relatively easy to do and the cost is not bad.

I'll let everyone know how it went after I've installed and tested, in the "Everything Breakout" thread.

For the Rear shock, Brian recommended the Works softail shock as a good match to the front. Although talking to Works really pissed me off, I guess I'll have to suck it up and order one of their rears.
Hi Bro:

To clarify, were those 49mm Iniminators or 41mm ?

You went with the 1.0 Kg springs. If you had a redo would you go to the 1.1 ?

I weigh in at 225 lb and I'm going to do your fork upgrade.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Hi Bro:

To clarify, were those 49mm Iniminators or 41mm ?

You went with the 1.0 Kg springs. If you had a redo would you go to the 1.1 ?

I weigh in at 225 lb and I'm going to do your fork upgrade.
49mm - if you call and order from Ricor they won't sell you the wrong ones- all of the new softails / dynas use the same fork tube diameter, 49mm .

1.0kg should be fine for you- i would not do it over differently and for me, the 1.0kg is more on the stiff side which is where I like it. If you want a tad more stiff just make the preload spacer a bit thicker. but I honestly think the 1.0kg will be fine, that is a pretty strong spring and it is single rate, not the mushy dual rate progressives like your stock springs.

Go here for the complete and "de facto" information and full DIY:

PS you do need to remove the fork tubes from the bike, that is the safest / easiest way to do it- and I outlined every bit of the process including tips.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 12-20-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

49mm - if you call and order from Ricor they won't sell you the wrong ones- all of the new softails / dynas use the same fork tube diameter, 49mm .

1.0kg should be fine for you- i would not do it over differently and for me, the 1.0kg is more on the stiff side which is where I like it. If you want a tad more stiff just make the preload spacer a bit thicker. but I honestly think the 1.0kg will be fine, that is a pretty strong spring and it is single rate, not the mushy dual rate progressives like your stock springs.

Go here for the complete and "de facto" information and full DIY:
Thanx Bro, much appreciated. I won't go all "more is better" on the spring set then so keep with the 1.0. They do have a selection chart on their site which infers the 1.0 would be a good choice too.

Quick Reply: Front fork experts, I need a sanity check on planned FXSB spring upgrade