Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015 | 11:38 AM
01fxst
|
Intermediate
Default transmission troubles

I have an 01 FXST with less than 10k miles on it and it has a howl in the transmission. It seems to have started after I changed fluid and went all synthetic. only has a couple of hundred miles on the change. Don't really see how the fluid is the trouble so I am wondering if there is/was an issue with the 2001 era of transmissions.
Sure sux looking at a $2000 plus repair on a bike that is essentially brand new.
I've had no trouble with my 95 heritage, 80 K miles or the 08 FXSTC, 35 K miles

If I have to spend the money I was thinking about changing the tranny entirely and going 6 speed. This little bike always seems like it needs to upshift one more time.

Opinions or advice.

It's the silver one...

Attached Thumbnails transmission troubles-harem.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015 | 05:11 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

Changing to synthetic should not have any negative effect on the tranny. You could however perform a test and change back to your original type transmission fluid. If the Howl is still present, you'll know that the problem is mechanical. This would cost a couple bucks but worth the money as an experiment.

Try to identify the location of the noise. Possible causes could be: Clutch Bearing, Inner Primary Bearing, or Throwout Bearing on the clutch cable side.

I do agree that if you end up spending big money on a transmission rebuild, might as well install a 6 speed.

Old 03-18-2015 | 09:22 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

While it's possible you have a trans issue, not likely at 10K without some severe neglect or abuse.

Since the issue showed up right after a fluid change, I suspect that had something to do with it. I'm assuming you checked to make sure it's at the proper level. Wouldn't be the first time someone forgot to put fluid in after draining the old fluid.......

While I can't call it a howl, I switched to synthetic (syn3) in my '03 Heritage tranny way back when, and it got noticeably louder.

It was loud enough that I switched to a syn gear oil (75W90), long before the next tranny service was due.

Been using syn gear oil ever since and haven't had a noise issue...

FWIW

Good luck...

Old 03-18-2015 | 09:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Put it up on a stand running in gear and use a 2 ear stethoscope. If you can hear it above that exhaust, it must be loud. It's not the oil. Since you have other bikes, I am sure you knew what you were doing. However, under a cruiser, people have drained the transmission and not realized it, thinking it was the engine. My friend could not find his transmission drain on his Fatboy. You positive it only has 10K. Is an 01 an EVO?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-18-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2015 | 09:42 AM
01fxst
|
Intermediate

Thanks all.
I verified that the tranny was full and the fluid still looks good. I am going to change back to dino gear oil before I have it torn into.
I did put the bike on a jack and spin the tire up. I killed the engine and let it coast down in neutral and with the bike still in gear but the clutch pulled. The sound doesn't change and it sounds like it is coming from the front pulley area.

The bike has been definitely been ridden but not abused or flat out hot rodded. Ya got to get on it every once in awhile ya know. I ride it no different than I ride the others. I got the bike with less than 3K on it so I don't know it's life before I got it.

A fella built the bike for his wife, it was originally blue. it's been lowered, given different bars and lots of chrome and a seat put on it for her and as far as I know, that was all that was done to the bike.
She couldn't handle it so he traded his softail and this bike for a Electra Glide and she just rode with him.
That is the story I was told of the bike.

Oh and it is a twin cam 88 inch carburated.

Old 03-19-2015 | 09:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Drive it couple miles to mix the primary and with it level, drain the oil in a clear jar. Look for aluminum or metal on magnet. If the noise is really what you describe, the compensator nut may be loose and rubbing the housing. Mine seared the spline off the alternator rotor (from high reviving and sudded stop) and appeared loose since it wears and the sprocket moves over and the chain will nip the sprockets

Old 03-19-2015 | 11:43 AM
01fxst
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Drive it couple miles to mix the primary and with it level, drain the oil in a clear jar. Look for aluminum or metal on magnet. If the noise is really what you describe, the compensator nut may be loose and rubbing the housing. Mine seared the spline off the alternator rotor (from high reviving and sudded stop) and appeared loose since it wears and the sprocket moves over and the chain will nip the sprockets
But it makes the noise with the engine dead and just the rear tire coasting down.

Old 03-19-2015 | 01:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxst
But it makes the noise with the engine dead and just the rear tire coasting down.
Sorry, I jumped over killed the engine in your "I did put the bike on a jack and spin the tire up. I killed the engine and let it coast down in neutral and with the bike still in gear but the clutch pulled.

In neutral, motor off with the rear tire as a flywheel, the primary chain would not be turning. However, the main shaft and counter shaft both would be spinning. For sure, you would be hearing (if there was a problem) rear wheel bearings, drive belt, output and input shaft of transmission. Guess you did not try to isolate noise with stethoscope. Noises can be on one side of bike and sound like they are on other since the sound can migrate through the aluminum. With a stethoscope, it will isolate pretty close. Just trying to help you pin point them. Transmissions are pretty durable. Could be something as simple as a throw out-bearing if the clutch was out of adjustment and has been spinning a long time. Not sure if you would hear it running. If it was the main drive gear bearing or the inner shaft double row of needle bearings, think you could stethoscope them. Sorry.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2015 | 03:39 PM
01fxst
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Sorry, I jumped over killed the engine in your "I did put the bike on a jack and spin the tire up. I killed the engine and let it coast down in neutral and with the bike still in gear but the clutch pulled.

In neutral, motor off with the rear tire as a flywheel, the primary chain would not be turning. However, the main shaft and counter shaft both would be spinning. For sure, you would be hearing (if there was a problem) rear wheel bearings, drive belt, output and input shaft of transmission. Guess you did not try to isolate noise with stethoscope. Noises can be on one side of bike and sound like they are on other since the sound can migrate through the aluminum. With a stethoscope, it will isolate pretty close. Just trying to help you pin point them. Transmissions are pretty durable. Could be something as simple as a throw out-bearing if the clutch was out of adjustment and has been spinning a long time. Not sure if you would hear it running. If it was the main drive gear bearing or the inner shaft double row of needle bearings, think you could stethoscope them. Sorry.
I just happen to have a few buddies in the medical field. I bet I can get a stethoscope pretty easy. I'll see them tonight and put in a request.

Old 03-19-2015 | 04:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxst
I just happen to have a few buddies in the medical field. I bet I can get a stethoscope pretty easy. I'll see them tonight and put in a request.
Need one from Harbour with a probe (cheap). Screw driver in one ear sucks. I made mine from the real thing that came with a manual BP reader. Took a 18" piece of 3/16 steel brake line and hammered it flat on the end and replace the diaphragm head. You can probe around and hear ever bearing. A bad bearing will sound like a hammer banging on a steel table. A good one sounds like a well oiled Singer (from a distance). Sleeve bearing engines unlike Harley's are smooth as silk.

Quick Reply: transmission troubles