Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015 | 09:40 PM
01fxst
|
Intermediate
Default I found my problem

and it is deeply humiliating and embarrassing to tell on myself but I must. It is only right after everyone trying to help my stupid self.

The drive belt was too loose. It was rubbing on something, don't know what but I tightened it up and now it is quiet as can be. No more howl. And the fact that I let it get that loose is really stupid.
I think when I took the rear wheel out and had another tire mounted I forgot to re-tension the belt.

Oh well, I've done stupid stuff before and I'm sure I will do it again.

Darn, sure was looking forward to a new 6 speed.

Old 03-22-2015 | 10:16 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Haha glad you Found it.

Old 03-23-2015 | 06:26 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxst
a

Cool, glad you got it fixed.. Why didn't you just tell us that. Go ahead an tell the wife it's broken. Just put the bike right in front of the front door. Pour a quart of oil under and around. Set right down in it and roll around with a pile of tools on the ground. Look real sad faced when the wife comes home. Just keep saying it's broken..Works for me. RIP just shakes her head and buys me a brand new Harley ever time....

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-23-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2015 | 09:27 AM
01fxst
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Cool, glad you got it fixed.. Why didn't you just tell us that. Go ahead a tell the wife it's broken. Just put the bike right in front of the front door. Pour a quart of oil under and around. Set right down in it and roll around with a pile of tools on the ground. Look real sad faced when the wife comes home. Just keep saying it's broken..Works for me. RIP just shakes her head and buys me a brand new Harley ever time....

Yeah, that will probably work.

Old 03-23-2015 | 09:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxst
I think when I took the rear wheel out and had another tire mounted I forgot to re-tension the belt.

Oh well, I've done stupid stuff before and I'm sure I will do it again.

Glad you found the issue. Don't feel stupid, keep working on vehicles and you will eventually outdo yourself! I have several times....

In your original post, you didn't mention that you had removed the rear wheel...

Been working on bikes, cars, & boats for many years. I've found that in the majority of cases, if something "breaks" after I have done some wrenching on the vehicle, the problem is going to be related to what I last changed/fixed/wrenched...

And hey, just because it wasn't the tranny, you can still buy a new 6-speed...!!!

Old 03-23-2015 | 11:50 AM
01fxst
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
And hey, just because it wasn't the tranny, you can still buy a new 6-speed...!!!
Want to loan me a couple of thousand. That would be a good start for getting the 6 speed.

But don't think I haven't done this sort of thing before. A little fib to the wife never hurt...
much...
or for very long.