Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your "Fangs"...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016 | 04:56 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake flstfb
There is a note on the install instructions to put the fangs outside of the windshield mounts on 2000 and newer. I did this, didn't seem quite right, but it works fine.
I assume this is for the "permanent" (not QD) style windshields right?
(I looked at the instructions for a few seconds, then threw 'em away)

T.

Old 01-20-2016 | 05:46 PM
Jake flstfb
Intermediate

No it is for QD, I have the quick detach with the aux lights.
Install instructions are on the Harley store website under the "more info" tab for all accessories.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...wind-deflector

Last edited by Jake flstfb; 01-20-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2016 | 06:38 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake flstfb
No it is for QD, I have the quick detach with the aux lights.
Install instructions are on the Harley store website under the "more info" tab for all accessories.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...wind-deflector

Ok, I think we're saying the same thing, but I thought you mean "literally"
mount them outside of the where the grommet is located - which would not work.

Even the HD picture on the website above shows them mounted the same as mine....

T.

Old 01-20-2016 | 08:00 PM
cobalt07
Road Master

Jake flstfb, I missed the note about 2000 and newer. But in your picture yours look different than WKNDS and mine, maybe the glare off so much chrome. Funny, but it's almost easier to change a flat tire than install some of these parts and I built my first chop in 1973. Guess everything is more difficult when you get old.

Old 01-20-2016 | 09:53 PM
ScottA320
Advanced

They work great but the bike runs much hotter with them installed.

Old 01-20-2016 | 10:18 PM
Jake flstfb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Jake flstfb, I missed the note about 2000 and newer. But in your picture yours look different than WKNDS and mine, maybe the glare off so much chrome. Funny, but it's almost easier to change a flat tire than install some of these parts and I built my first chop in 1973. Guess everything is more difficult when you get old.
I didn't have a pic up, but I pulled the cover off the bike and took this one. The windshield mount grommets are between the fangs and the light bar bracket. I couldn't get the windshield on with the grommets on the outside, the windshield bracket angle was all wrong when you spread them. Grommets had to go between.

Old 01-20-2016 | 10:29 PM
Cobra6
Cruiser

OK - I realize this is an old post resurrected -
I don't have great pics because they kinda get lost - when I try pics inside, the reflection makes them "disappear"
They were on the bike when I got it - what will I notice if I take them off - maybe a little cooler riding?

Attached Thumbnails Show me your "Fangs"...-865329-10-large.jpg   Show me your "Fangs"...-865329-22-large.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016 | 11:34 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

It is nice to see how everyone has mounted them. The instructions are only good for making paper airplanes.

I have not mounted mine yet, they have to go for powder first. Chrome would not look good on my Lo.

My QD windshield has different mounting bolts than every picture I have seen so far, the spring lock for my QD latches onto a post that is on the outside end of the mounting bolts. There is no room with the windshield bracket to make grommets wider and windshield won't lock into place if the fangs are mounted on the outside. May have to make some smaller spacers between the grommets and light bar mount.

Looks like I will have to figure out how to fit them before they get powdered. Wouldn't want to scratch them trying to figure out how to mount them.

Last edited by Gommee; 01-20-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2016 | 02:44 PM
gerardog661
6th Gear
Default Correct fit?

Maybe this will help. I know these aren't the Rounded Harley fangs but the mounting might be similar. I have a 2014 Heritage Softail

Attached Thumbnails Show me your "Fangs"...-image.jpeg  
Old 01-22-2016 | 09:08 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Your spring lock is on the inside of the bracket, my nostalgic has the spring lock on the outside.

Directions are not worth the paper they are printed on...

Quick Reply: Show me your "Fangs"...