Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your "Fangs"...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015 | 12:33 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Jetfever
I mounted fangs as if I DID have a light bar, the way the HD instructions say to.

I have ordered these HD fangs and I am going to have them powdered black, but there is no possible way to mount them the way the HD online instructions describe how to do it with the light bar.
The windshield has to fit between the fangs and the light bar. The directions show to mount the windshield between the light bar and forks with the fangs on the outside.
Just in case you decide to add a light bar later on.

Old 09-28-2015 | 12:54 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default forward or backward mounting...

Originally Posted by Gommee
I have ordered these HD fangs and I am going to have them powdered black, but there is no possible way to mount them the way the HD online instructions describe how to do it with the light bar.
The windshield has to fit between the fangs and the light bar. The directions show to mount the windshield between the light bar and forks with the fangs on the outside.
Just in case you decide to add a light bar later on.
Thanks Gommee. I am talking about the PRINTED directions that came in the box with my fangs and post #22 and #25 on this thread where some riders posted photos with the Fangs mounted "backwards" or leading edge forward because they thought the fangs "looked better".

I thought about test riding with the fangs reversed from the PRINTED directions since I don't have a light bar, I might some day.

No Plans for a light bar, but I like how the light bar looks with the saddlebags, far more balanced.

It does sound like some have had trouble mounting with the light bar so thanks for the heads up.

I think BOTH our bikes would look better with black fangs. Look forward to seeing yours.

Steve

Old 01-19-2016 | 12:10 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

Threads getting old but I had to relate this to others. Installed crash bars on my new 2016 Heritage today. Decided to install the fork wind deflectors (fangs) to see if I like the look. Took 1.5 hours to get them to clear turn signals and crash bars....pain in the neck. Go to reinstall wind shield and it will not go back on because the back of the q/r mount now hits the upper edge of the fangs and if I tilt it forward the windshield hits the fog lamps. Pi**ed me off so much I beat one flat with a hammer. (old finish carpenter) I am very skilled in accurately measuring objects, it's my job. These will H-D #57400143

Old 01-19-2016 | 12:14 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

Sorry, forgot to finish sentence. These will not work with all three H-D #57400143

Old 01-20-2016 | 06:13 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Go to reinstall wind shield and it will not go back on because the back of the q/r mount now hits the upper edge of the fangs and if I tilt it forward the windshield hits the fog lamps.

WTF is a "q/r?"

Also, the fangs will not work with "all three" what? Windshield, engine guard and signal lights?

Last edited by Hey Man; 01-20-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2016 | 06:51 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
WTF is a "q/r?"

Also, the fangs will not work with "all three" what? Windshield, engine guard and signal lights?
I think it means Quick Release, I've seen a few other people call them
that but I believe the HD term is Quick Disconnect(QD).

I had to "massage" the bottom slotted mount of my HD QD windshield
to work with the fangs.

hope this helps,

T.

Old 01-20-2016 | 08:06 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

WKNDS, the windshield brackets measure 13.25 inches, center to center, the mounts measure 13.50, when you add the fangs it came to 13.71. There is only so much you can spread the windshield. Did you have to grind the lower fork back about .50 inch ? Did you have trouble spreading the brackets...... without scratching everything ? Thanks for any help

Old 01-20-2016 | 09:13 AM
Jake flstfb
Intermediate

There is a note on the install instructions to put the fangs outside of the windshield mounts on 2000 and newer. I did this, didn't seem quite right, but it works fine.

Old 01-20-2016 | 12:57 PM
I Corps
Cruiser
Default Fangs on my FLSTC

Old 01-20-2016 | 04:53 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cobalt07
WKNDS, the windshield brackets measure 13.25 inches, center to center, the mounts measure 13.50, when you add the fangs it came to 13.71. There is only so much you can spread the windshield. Did you have to grind the lower fork back about .50 inch ? Did you have trouble spreading the brackets...... without scratching everything ? Thanks for any help
I just measured grommet to grommet & got 13.5". My QD "king size" windshield
for use with Aux-lights slips on just fine (with the aforementioned lower leg grinding).
Grommets are installed on the outside of the "fangs".

Here's a few pics;

hope this helps,

T.

Quick Reply: Show me your "Fangs"...