Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your "Fangs"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015 | 10:29 PM
Number 6
Intermediate
Default Backwards/Forwards

Do they work better if mounted correctly the edges facing forward and look a little funny, or backward, the edges facing to the rear and the front rounded, but looks better?

Old 06-12-2015 | 06:41 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Preference thing, running a windshield you may as well go with them. Personally, when I do my handlebar swap the windshield will be history. Figure I'd throw that in there as food for thought.

Old 06-12-2015 | 08:20 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

This is a older picture of my Heritage. Many changes since this, but I have left the fangs on. They work at lowering the buffeting.

Old 09-15-2015 | 12:55 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default HD Fangs: Incredible improvement!!!

I found a Q/R Slim Windshield on Craigs. I fitted it on long highway rides, but the buffeting was unacceptable, so I stopped using it altogether. Then I found this thread.

I just installed some "New Style" HD fangs. I can't actually believe how well these work. It is truly unbelievable!

I am totally satisfied with the performance, and reduction in buffeting. Took the bike to 90mph with a head wind.

If you look at the gap between the top of the fangs and base of the Q/R windshield you can see the fangs direct wind up on the rider side (aft side) of the 'shield in a similar way very modern bikes have used to reduce the low pressure area directly behind the shield. I don't have a light bar/ turn signals in this area. Is it possible these perform better without the lights blocking the airflow?

I mounted fangs as if I DID have a light bar, the way the HD instructions say to. If you turn them around, as some riders have, I doubt they would work as well.

Again, I find it hard to believe how well these fangs work on my bike.

Not really happy how they look, I plan to slot them so I can remove easily, with the 'shield. I need a thinner washer on the lower mount, it will bring the lower tips in a bit closer.

I like how the 'shield and fangs balance the look with the bags from this angle.

Old 09-15-2015 | 06:34 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jetfever
....snip.....
Again, I find it hard to believe how well these fangs work on my bike.
Not really happy how they look, I plan to slot them so I can remove easily, with the 'shield. I need a thinner washer on the lower mount, it will bring the lower tips in a bit closer. .

Not sure if you've considered or looked into this, but what I would like is
the fangs welded (or otherwise connected) to the windshield so that
they both come off at the same time (still QD).

If you do that please take some pics & show us how you did it.

thanks!

T.

Old 09-15-2015 | 11:31 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

This may be a stupid question, but how would you describe buffeting? I rode about 100 miles today but I didn't have on my QR windshield. (some parts are going for powder coat) It was pretty windy. Face is wind burned. Would the fangs help? I am not 100% sure about the look yet. Thanks

Old 09-16-2015 | 09:12 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Not sure if you've considered or looked into this, but what I would like is
the fangs welded (or otherwise connected) to the windshield so that
they both come off at the same time (still QD).

If you do that please take some pics & show us how you did it.

thanks!

T.
Strongly agree: I want the fangs connected to the Q/R windshield. Both off at the same time. I have not really looked at bolting or welding them together. I might be concerned that the Fangs would push the Q/R windshield off of the mounts if this mod was done.

Old 09-16-2015 | 09:52 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Buffeting without the fangs

Originally Posted by FFeric
This may be a stupid question, but how would you describe buffeting? I rode about 100 miles today but I didn't have on my QR windshield. (some parts are going for powder coat) It was pretty windy. Face is wind burned. Would the fangs help? I am not 100% sure about the look yet. Thanks
Describe buffeting...difficult but ill try.

I always wear a Full Face helmet. I love riding WITHOUT the Q/R windshield around town and in the mountains which surround me.

When I have a long trip or 1/2 hour or more Freeway blast, I tried the Q/R windshield, but I was ALWAYS uncomfortable due to the turbulence/ buffeting/ helmet noise.

If I slouched and looked through the windshield the turbulence/ buffeting on my helmet would reduce a bit, and wind noise would quiet down some, but not nearly enough to be comfortable. Sitting with back straight and looking over the 'shield, noise and turbulence was almost unbearable, but saved my arms from getting tired. The turbulence was hitting my body from all sides of the 'shield. I heard about the fangs, and I noticed if I placed my legs/ feet straight out in front of me at the base of the shield the turbulence was reduced a bit. (Try it)!

I believe this is caused by the extreme low pressure area directly behind the 'shield. Look at some of the modern Bikes. They have a way to relieve the low pressure behind the 'shield usually some kind of opening at the base.

I think this is what the fangs do. Whatever the reason, I cannot believe the difference and comfort at freeway speeds with the fangs fitted:

I can sit up straight, move my eyes about 2-2.5 inches ABOVE the 'shield now with minimal turbulence/ buffeting. (If I stretch and move higher, the wind hits my helmet, but wind is "smoother"). I am beyond shocked at how well the fangs work. I would not believe the improvement if you told me. I don't have a light bar, so the fangs can direct the air right up the inside of the 'shield without impairment. Does this make them function better? I don't know but buffeting/ turbulence is less on my body, and my helmet much quieter. I pushed 90 mph with a headwind. The only negative so far is more wind on my legs, and of course, the looks.

YMMV.

Steve

Last edited by Jetfever; 09-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2015 | 07:45 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

Steve, thanks for the explanation. I have QR windshield so maybe some fangs will be in order.

Old 09-18-2015 | 09:35 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default F/F helmet visor can now be open or closed!!!

After riding another couple full tanks to empty, I have some more observations on the fangs:

Prior to the Fangs being fitted, It was mandatory to snap the Helmet visor full closed. The turbulence / buffeting from the Q/R 'shield would grab my visor and move it up and down a bit, and even force my head to move a bit as the air grabbed the visor. The noise was not acceptable and I wear ear plugs.

I can now ride at 50-80 MPH or more with my Full Face helmet visor in ANY position, from full open to closed. There are several detents for the visor. This is a HUGE improvement in riding comfort!

I made a note earlier I thought there was more wind on my legs. Now I think it is about the same, just more noticeable due to the "calm" air on the rest of my body.

If I place my gloved hand at the top of the fangs while riding, I can feel a fairly strong airflow directed up the aft side of the 'shield. (There is much less airflow behind the headlight). I wonder if enlarging this space would allow even more air to flow up the aft side of the 'shield.

These fangs are not perfect, there is still some mild turbulence, but I will never again fit the Q/R shield without fangs.

Steve

Last edited by Jetfever; 09-18-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Show me your "Fangs"...