Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for a soft tail slim

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Slimgirl14
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for a soft tail slim

I am in the market for an exhaust and have no idea where to start? There are so many choices. Without hearing it, how do you decide?

Also, any thoughts on a 2-1 pipe? And the pro's and cons? Other an the look....

Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Reelman472
Novice

Slimgirl

For starters, you can go to the Vance and Hines web page where you can see and hear all of the pipes they carry. I'm sure that if google motorcycle exhaust you'll get all the info you need.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 PM
IrIeSpringer420
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant go wrong with vance & hines pipes. they sound great and easy to install. they have 2 into 1 pipes also. ya try there site and see what you like. you like it loud? welcome to the forums

Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Slimgirl14
2nd Gear

Thank you both! I will check out their site.

I wouldn't say I like it loud, but definitely need more than the stock pipes. My sportster had aftermarket pipes (which I loved the sound of), but I never bothered to see what they were?

I appreciate the feedback!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimgirl14
I am in the market for an exhaust and have no idea where to start? There are so many choices. Without hearing it, how do you decide?

Also, any thoughts on a 2-1 pipe? And the pro's and cons? Other an the look....
You could always go to your local bike night. Hearing the different sounds of exhaust will definitely give you a idea of what exhaust you would like to go with

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 03-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Kelsey from DK just gave the best answer. All to often you read a post where someone shelled out the bucks for an exhaust that they did not like once they installed it. Save your self some grief and check out some bikes in person. Would you really rely on an internet sound clip to give you a accurate reproduction of sound? Vance & Hines makes good pipes and so do many other manufactures like Rush,Basani,Rinehart the list goes on and on.

A two into one will generally give you a bit more torque. Most people can't really feel much of a difference. Unless I was building a fire breathing full out race bike I would buy what ever I felt looked and sounded the best for my bike.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Slimgirl14
2nd Gear

GREAT IDEA KELSEY! thanks and thank you Misbehavin

Old 03-12-2015, 03:08 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

If you just change the mufflers you can get away without having to buy a tuner. The ECM can adjust for it. But I would still put on a set of Xied's even with just a muffler change. They are about $100 and will make the bike run slightly richer. In my opinion the best compromise between quiet and loud is the Rush mufflers with the 1 3/4 inch baffles. If you change the entire exhaust system factor in buying a tuner to the cost. Slip on mufflers offer the best bang for the buck. Better performance and the cheapest solution at less than $400. A good 2 into 1 and a decent tuner will give you better performance but will be in the $1300 range. The quality of mufflers and full exhaust systems varies a lot, regardless of the price, so do your homework.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimgirl14
GREAT IDEA KELSEY! thanks and thank you Misbehavin
Let me know how it goes

Kelsey

Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Yankee in Texas
Advanced

Kelsey's advice was sound. A Saturday trip to to your local dealer will give you a chance to hear different 2-1 exhausts. Many 2-1 owners install SE stage 1 kits & tune with their new exhaust. The kit is recommended and will enhance your bikes sound and give you the best "bang for the buck" of any modification. My last 3 Harley's had V&H pipes, (2 Pro Pipes/1 Short Shot) Loved the sound and performance! Went with the Bassani Road Road Rage for "Project Slim" on the
advice of the shop who's building the motor. You Tube is another option. I'll post pictures and a sound clip when the bike arrives...

Good luck with your new Slim...

Quick Reply: Exhaust for a soft tail slim