Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Maitiu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust Checklist

So, I've got a 2014 Deluxe, and I'm wanting to get a dual exhaust with fishtails out the back. I'm open to any manufacturer, but what I have heard and need to do is if I do a new exhaust, then I need to remap the bike as well? And a new breather too? At least that's what the Harley dealership is telling me.

I want to make sure I have the full scoop on what I need to do besides get the exhaust. Also recommendations on what brands to use for mapping the bike. I'm a set it and forget it type of guy. I don't want to have to tune this thing every time I hop on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Generally speaking if you're just changing your exhaust you don't need to do a thing.
But once you change out and open up that restricted stock air cleaner, then you'll need a tuner.
You do NOT need to change your air cleaner just because you changed pipes.
That's just the dealer in SELL mode.

That being said, you'll get the most bang for your buck if you DO change the air cleaner as well, and get a PROPER (non-dealer) Stage 1 tune.
After not being happy with my setup (pipes, a/c, dealer "remap") I went with a Vance & Hines FuelPak 3.
It's a whole new bike...

Last edited by jam436; 03-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Maitiu
So, I've got a 2014 Deluxe, and I'm wanting to get a dual exhaust with fishtails out the back. I'm open to any manufacturer, but what I have heard and need to do is if I do a new exhaust, then I need to remap the bike as well? And a new breather too? At least that's what the Harley dealership is telling me.

I want to make sure I have the full scoop on what I need to do besides get the exhaust. Also recommendations on what brands to use for mapping the bike. I'm a set it and forget it type of guy. I don't want to have to tune this thing every time I hop on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have to get a new Air Cleaner if you change the exhaust. However, it would be a good idea to go with a Free Flowing Air Cleaner that vents externally, like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v. That way your not allowing all the hot dirty oily air back in. And if you don't want to change the Air Cleaner at all you can still route externally by using a Hose Style Set Up.

Before

After

As for the tuner. Devin and Kevin(DK) use the Power Vision and are very happy with it! One of the many good things about the Power Vision is it comes delivered to you with a Custom Map, for Your Bike, already installed in it. You can plug it in, load the new tune into your bike, unplug it, and be riding with the New Tune in 5 minutes.

Also, here is a overview of EFI options, this may help you out https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

As said, you do not need a tuner or have to add upgraded Air intake if you just change the exhaust.

Power vision is a good tuner, I have had it on two bikes so far. It allows you to do more changes to the bike like adding cams.

The V&H FP3 is a good set it and forget it tuner for what you are doing. I have installed it on a few bikes now with no issues. Easy install and easy set up.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Maitiu
Advanced

Thank you gentlemen! That brings my costs way down.

Now, do any of you have a brand preference? I've been eyeballing the V&H but open to anything really.

Thanks again for the guidance!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Now, do any of you have a brand preference? I've been eyeballing the V&H but open to anything really.

Everybody is partial to what THEY bought, so there's no right answer.
..make it your own...

Old 03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with V&H. I probably would have gone Sampson if I was going Long out back, but the length on the VH Duals was where I wanted the pipes. Tucked in nicely under the end of the bag. I also like them because the Fishtails are slightly wider.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Rafaelw
Advanced

I have seen both the V&H and the Samsons, hands down the Samsons longtails are better looking, I ordered Samson mini 36" longtails from Phat Performance last week Monday, they have the best priceless anywhere for these pipes. They will be delivered to my door tomorrow .

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

It all has to do with what your vision is for your look, sound and performance.
I spent a long time searching and looking at pictures and specs of different exhaust on my model.
I went with the Bassani Road Rage 2:1 as it was what I wanted for my Fat Boy Lo vision.

Good luck and post some pictures when you are done.

Last edited by Gommee; 03-09-2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-10-2015, 05:20 AM
smithrw
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust

I went with Powervision from Fuel Moto. My 2013 deluxe runs way better than before and the people at Fuel Moto are the best there is.