Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so torn on what front end for my bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015 | 03:35 AM
stal94gt
|
Road Master
Default so torn on what front end for my bike

i have just got a change of heart for what front end i want to put on my bike. i thought i had made up my mind about going with a blacked out FL front end with a freight train headlight setup. seen some cool looking bikes with that setup that are similar to the build i am doing. i was going to go with a 21x3.5 inch DNA fat spoked wheel combo with that setup. i have already ordered the trees and the lower legs for that swap.

it would look kind of like this when it was done

but now i am thinking about sticking with a wideglide 5 degree rake HHI tree setup with bullet headlight and a 23" wheel setup. not sure anymore.

Old 03-02-2015 | 04:49 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Well, I must first say that I am probably biased.. My first softail build (2004 Night Train) I wanted to go with something different - and a Night Train vicla was born... And I loved what I came up with (as did many who saw it). The only thing I had left to do that I wanted was an FL front end. Check out the build thread here of that bike:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ld-begins.html

After looking at expenses (and essentially what I would have invested in a FL front end), I got out of the bike while I was still "ahead" and told myself I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Deluxe with a minimum of the 96" motor and 6 speed.... So... Here comes the next build....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ld-begins.html

In my opinion (and remember, I am biased).... I think that the bike you showed was AWESOME... I love the blacked out FL with Train nacelle. That wide tire kit makes it look fat from front to back - from the Train nacelle to the wide rear, everything is pulled together real nice... Again, just my opinion.. I'm not huge on raked fronts, though.

Old 03-02-2015 | 04:54 AM
stal94gt
|
Road Master

my bike is not entirely the same, i have a spring seat and fender mounted fender and the stock 200mm tire. i would be going with the DNA 21x3.5 front tire and 18x5.5 rear tire. i have d&d low cat exhaust. i was really liking the FL front and freight train headlight. i will probably keep going with it cause i have most of the hard parts for it.

Old 03-02-2015 | 05:02 AM
stal94gt
|
Road Master

here is a few bike i was looking at when i made my decision.

Old 03-02-2015 | 05:38 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Well, it is jut my opinion, but I think you are headed in the right direction. Get some pics up of your bike, and we can see what you are working with... In the end though - it is YOUR bike, and you should do what you want. The fact that you already have gotten a few parts together would further sway me in that direction.. I remember what my teachers always said with multiple choice test questions.. If you don't know, go with your gut - usually the first answer you chose is most likely the correct answer.

I struggled with my Deluxe front end - whether to go black or chrome... I went black because you don't see a whole lot of Viclas (especially in my parts), let alone BLACK Viclas.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Old 03-02-2015 | 05:52 AM
stal94gt
|
Road Master

my bike is going to go under more changes. and i am starting with the front. i think the FL front end with a set of 12-14 inch bars. new seat and fender struts along with wheels. personally i love the clean lines of the freight train headlight. i think it really cleans up the front end and the FL front end will allow me to black it out completely. i just dont know if the bulky front end will go with the lines of what i am going for with the bike

Last edited by stal94gt; 03-02-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2015 | 11:31 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Maybe one of the guys are here that are gifted with photoshop could help you out?

Photoshop a blacked out FL front end on a side view photo of your bike. To me though - it already sounds like you have made up your mind.. Maybe you are just second guessing yourself. I think it will look like the cats @$$, but again, that's just me.

The way I look at it - if you don't decide you like the FL front end, you can always sell it and put your FX front end back on.

Old 03-04-2015 | 06:06 AM
stal94gt
|
Road Master

i think i will finish the FL front end and see how it comes out. i really like the smooth lines of the headlight. i also really like the ability to have an all black front end. i worry it will be too bulky looking but i think that with the right front fender it should come out looking just right for my bike.

Old 03-04-2015 | 07:24 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Stick with the FL front end. These freight train headlight setups are cool.
I think if you loose that springer seat the back of the bike will be proportional to the front.

I don't think the bikes in the pictures you posted have a much bigger rear tire than yours. That will also work in your favor.

Old 07-08-2017 | 05:40 PM
gnarlyfox001
Tourer

What hard parts for the conversion is needed? Can I get just the trees and lower legs? Did you ever complete the swap? I am looking into this swap on my 04 train.

Originally Posted by stal94gt
my bike is not entirely the same, i have a spring seat and fender mounted fender and the stock 200mm tire. i would be going with the DNA 21x3.5 front tire and 18x5.5 rear tire. i have d&d low cat exhaust. i was really liking the FL front and freight train headlight. i will probably keep going with it cause i have most of the hard parts for it.

Quick Reply: so torn on what front end for my bike