Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Custom Paint- QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015 | 06:07 PM
Reelman472
Novice

My tank cost around $900.00 but $200.00 of that was mounting backing plates and tank badges.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank Custom Paint- QUESTIONS-image.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015 | 06:56 PM
brasher
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
Thanks for getting back to me on it. Wish he was here in the states. At that price for that quality of work it would be a done deal for me.

Damn
I would seriously consider shipping it over! The guys work is world class and the prices are very reasonable compared to the other big name guys.

http://instagram.com/smithconcepts

Old 02-15-2015 | 01:00 PM
Reelman472
Novice

My paint job cost $900.00, but a couple hundred of that was for mounting backing plates and Tank badges.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank Custom Paint- QUESTIONS-img_0243.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015 | 07:11 PM
Dutch101st
|
Road Captain

How hard is it to disassemble the tank? What parts should I purchase to have on hand? Gaskets? Screws?

Old 02-15-2015 | 07:59 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

There's a rubber gasket directly underneath the fuel pump that should definitely be replaced.

You should replace the fuel filter since you have it out. Everything else is re-usable. The bolts that attach the fuel pump backing plate to the tank have these little rubber plugs on them (it's hard to explain). You'll see when you take them off.

I'm gonna replace those but unless you tear them up removing the bolts I would think you can re use them.

And it's not hard at all to take it apart. Having small hands to reach the internals while disassembling would make your life easy.

Old 02-16-2015 | 12:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alain
There's a rubber gasket directly underneath the fuel pump that should definitely be replaced.

You should replace the fuel filter since you have it out. Everything else is re-usable. The bolts that attach the fuel pump backing plate to the tank have these little rubber plugs on them (it's hard to explain). You'll see when you take them off.

I'm gonna replace those but unless you tear them up removing the bolts I would think you can re use them.

And it's not hard at all to take it apart. Having small hands to reach the internals while disassembling would make your life easy.
plus it might be a good time to replace the o-ring in the fuel quick connect.

Man, you guys are paying big bucks for your paint...no doubt, they all look great.

I had these 3 tins prepped & painted for a bit less than $1200, and that included the decals AND shipping.

On the bike-

I had these 5 tins prepped, painted and delivered for $1000.

Already posted a pic of them on the bike above.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-16-2015 | 04:45 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
plus it might be a good time to replace the o-ring in the fuel quick connect.

Man, you guys are paying big bucks for your paint...no doubt, they all look great.

I had these 5 tins prepped, painted and delivered for $1000.

Already posted a pic of them on the bike above.
How is the paint holding up on that bike? Chips, fade??? What paint did he use? (it looks gorgeous but that guy is giving away his work if it's quality materials)

I went down the custom paint route back in 2006 and found you pretty much get what you pay for. This paint job was about $3400 IIRC. QUALITY work! The pictures shown are when the paint job was 6 years old and 30k miles. It looked at good as it did when it was new. Scott at Attitude Custom Painting has the best customer service I've ever seen.

Old 02-16-2015 | 05:34 PM
Dutch101st
|
Road Captain

Well I picked up 2 gas tanks off of eBay, both clean, dent free, just some dings in the paint...which doesn't matter as I am going to get one done. One is off of a '14 denim and silver Slim ( same model and year as mine). The one I got for $93 shipped and the Slim tank for $127 shipped...I will withhold final judgment till I receive them at the end of the week however based on what I saw in the pictures they both look like a hell of a good deal. more to follow

Old 02-16-2015 | 11:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigMike
How is the paint holding up on that bike? Chips, fade??? What paint did he use? (it looks gorgeous but that guy is giving away his work if it's quality materials)

I went down the custom paint route back in 2006 and found you pretty much get what you pay for. This paint job was about $3400 IIRC. QUALITY work! The pictures shown are when the paint job was 6 years old and 30k miles. It looked at good as it did when it was new. Scott at Attitude Custom Painting has the best customer service I've ever seen.

WOW! Looks fantastic!

No chips or fade in mine, it's a bit less than 3 years old and looks like when I first got it. I do not know what paint was used. I might have been told, but don't recall.

I'm happy with it, but it was the first time, in the dozens of bikes I've owned over the last 40+ years, that I've ever spent $ on aftermarket paint for a personal bike.

I've always focused more on cutting, welding, fabbing, wrenching. So I may be more easily satisfied.

Old 02-17-2015 | 10:26 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
WOW! Looks fantastic!

No chips or fade in mine, it's a bit less than 3 years old and looks like when I first got it. I do not know what paint was used. I might have been told, but don't recall.

I'm happy with it, but it was the first time, in the dozens of bikes I've owned over the last 40+ years, that I've ever spent $ on aftermarket paint for a personal bike.

I've always focused more on cutting, welding, fabbing, wrenching. So I may be more easily satisfied.
I need your painter's number if I ever do another custom paint job. I purposely went with the FBL to get away from it though. But who knows what the future holds for another bike. Right now I'm trying to keep the FBL very basic and understated.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Custom Paint- QUESTIONS