Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting down a deposit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 AM
IronHorse66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting down a deposit

I am getting antsy to put down a deposit for a new bike. I have been talking with an AAFES sales rep. (The guys who sell to the military) He says that $300 will secure an order of an '08 and that I will be able to change my order if, once the '08 changes are announced, I see something I like better. My first question involves whether there is any advantage in putting down a deposit now. I know that in the past Harley's were back-ordered for months or years. Will my "order" even have any effect on where I am in line for a new bike?
The second question involves the quote this rep is giving me. He is quoting $18,125 for a '08 FXSTC. This is including the "price uplift" which he informed me is the estimated increase in price that happens every year. Is this a decent price? As far as I know, this is with all the extra charges, but before financing and tax/registration. The military sales is supposed to be cheaper, but I am not so sure. I would like to avoid paying sales tax on it. I am a Montana resident but I am active duty military and so I am torn between buying the bike in Montana and registering it there (This would avoid the taxes and registration, but would require a trip up there in the winter topick up the bike - A costly trip on its own.)and buying it in Kansas, where I am stationed, and sucking up the taxes. The only benefit I could see to that would be local pickup and to make the dealer that will be servicing my bike happy because I bought from him.
I appeal to your sage advice for help on these questions. I am, understandably, frothing at the mouth to get the ball rolling on this but I want to proceed with caution.

Thanks,

John

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM
flst06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Putting down a deposit

Where are you stationed?

I compared prices between overseas Mil. sales and the dealer in the states where I was last stationed and AAFES had the better deal However, I got European delivery so what you're really saving (at least overseas) arethe taxes.

I still got my leftover (still in the crate) 06 Heritage for 15,200 delivered with the 5 yr. warranty in FEB.

Order now? I don't know. I've been disappointed with every vehicle I've ever ordered. Either it's not exactly what I thought I was getting and/or I don't get it when I'm suppose to. I'm an immediate satisfaction kind of guy. If I ordered that far in advance I'd talk myself out of it 100 times before it got here. When I ordered mine, it was already in Germany and on it's way to Italy 3 days later.

The dealer should work on it regardless of where you bought it, though you may get better service if purchased locally

Don.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I had an AAFES bike delivered in Japan. I did put down a deposit about 4 mo. advance because they don't get many US spec bikes delivered here and I wanted to make sure my deal was locked up and nobody would buy it out from under me.

But, you are getting stateside delivery and I don't think there is a shortage of Harleys in the states. So, I don't know what advantage you get for putting down a deposit for an 08 bike now.

I'd guess (hope)most Harley dealers wouldn't treat somebody wrong because their bike was bought through military sales. But, I've know a few people who bought cars through military sales and the stateside dealer treated them like crap when they went to pick up the car.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:26 AM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 06 FXST through AAFES after it arrived in Korea. Price was good, just check the HD website for MSRP and you'll see how good a price you're getting since you won't have to pay all of the dealer markup. You're still going to have to pay taxes when you register the bike in the states.I purchased a car through AAFES for pickup in the states and I was treated badly by the dealer. After we left we found several problems with the car (that weren't obvious until you got going on the highway). Also they refused to clean the car as they should have and I had to fill the tank with gas. The representative at the dealer was a jerk and was trying to get out of there for the weekend. AAFES made it right though and sent me a check for the gas and a car wash.

I don't really see a reason to put down a deposit on the bike though. Once they release the 08s you can look on their website and see most of what they have and find the bike you want. To me, you are better off in case you see something else you want or a different color. AAFES can be a pain with their contracts and may or may not let you change it later. Don't believe everything they tell you, but do read everything they want you to sign. Just my opinion. Good Luck

Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
apes
5th Gear

The longest year of your life is the 6 months it takes for your bike to be delivered. I did the shuffle with my bikes so as to avoid the sales tax...( bought in Boise and lived in Calif) I saved $600 on the first one but it didn't come free...in the end it cost me about the same with travel and all that...the second one ( private party ) I bought in Detroit and when I rode through Billings onthe way back to Calif. I regisered it in MT so as to avoid the Calif tax and registration..This move saved me about $1500 AND MT registration is $89/year Forever... as for the deposit..when I went I to the local HD Dealer when the 07 came out, the show room was flooded with new bikes,I recon I could have made a chioce and changed it a couple of times and then still had a choice of colors, I guess it depends on how large of a store the dealer has and how much inventory ...big store will have alot....as for service where you buy it...I don't know about that as I do my own work, and I haven't had any warrenty stuff done because I have been sort of lucky in that the only thing that needed replacement were the tires and once I pulled them off the bike bought my tires on line I took them to the Honda dealer to mount ( cheaper ) But you are in the Military and GIs tend to move about so often how is the local dealer to know that you bought elsewhere to save a buck and didn't transfer just to Kansas.......

richmac64 gave good advice " Don't believe everything they tell you, but do read everything they want you to sign." ( Military/AAFES )...must had a run inwith a recruter...

Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 AM
IronHorse66
Cruiser

I think I am going to go with a dealer in Kansas where I live. The price that AAFES quoted me just doesn't seem like the steal I thought it would be and I would still pay taxes when I pick it up in Kansas. I agree with you on the cost of getting it delivered to Montana. I would end up spending the difference in travel expenses. On top of it all, I would miss out on the goodwill of a dealer who, after all, will be helping me get through break-in and early services. (Unlike some grease monkeys on here, I don't necessarily trust myself to do these things.) They might even be pursuaded to throw in some accessories to sweeten the deal. I know how some people feel about dealers, but they are just trying to make a buck. I have never felt like "a number" at a Harley dealership, even at some of the more high falutin' ones in SoCal, where I just came from. I am willing to support their local interest if it gets me a pleasant buying experience. I value anyone's opinion on this line of thinking.

John

Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 AM
reggie1668
Intermediate

I just bought mine in Balad. MSRP on my 2007 Fatboy was $17,420 plus $325 for security system, and $299 freight for a total of of $18,044. I was charged $16,994 with all the above included. SoI saved $1050 under MSRP. I would recommed though looking at a dealer first to decide which bike and whatcolor you want. I discovered that the web site does no justice for the colors available. As for the taxes I know how you feel I live in Kansas as well and taxes will run meabout $1200 bucks, thenwill have mycounty charges for personal property tax and tag fees.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at buying one from AAFES when I was in Haiti. For me it wasn't going to be much of a savings or so it seemed so I passed. Later in Iraq I thought about it again. I got the impression that AAFES vehicle purchases weren't necessarily the same deal everywhere. Depending on where you are stationed when you buy and where you are trying to take delivery.....prices vary. After factoring in delivery and other costs it seemed that I wasn't saving anything so I passed.

Don't worry about a deposit. The days of paying way over MSRP and having to wait for your bike are long gone. Dealers always have a steady stream of bikes coming in. They also have a solid network and can either transfer a bike from a nearby dealer to you or at least direct you to the dealer that has the exact bike you want.

I was stationed in NC when I bought. I bought from the local dealer and based on my experience I would recommend doing the same. Dealers can haggle and in some cases might consider adjustments to the taxes and prep or maybe offer other incentives like service coupons or parts discounts.

I know there are a few dealers out there that don't give a warm fuzzy to people or make them feel like part of the family. I lucked out and the NC dealership was awesome. Ended up buying one for me and one for the wife.

My vote: local dealer.