Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?

I am probably in the minority on this, but I went ahead and ordered an HD engine guard, aka crash guard - a black one similar to the nostalgic guard - for my CrossBones. It's true - adding parts such as this to a Bobber-style cycle is contradictory to its original styling; and engine guards in general can look fuddy-duddy. Since they offer some protection in slow to medium speed crashes, and they protect the gas tank in spills, I decided to get it. I am waiting for it to arrive. The black guard I ordered is similar in shape to the HD nostalgic guard, just doesn't have as pronounced curvature.

When I saw pictures of the original 1936 EL Knucklehead, with factory installed engine guard, that did it for me. They looked great on the iconic model. HD Motor company was smart at that time.

If anyone else has installed an engine guard on the Bones or other similar HD, please share pictures. Misery loves company.

Last edited by Grizzwood; 02-06-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

When I bought my 99 Softail Custom 5 years ago it already had one on it. I dropped mine one time on a hill in gravel while backing up. The engine guard kept it from even the slightest scratch and kept it from going over so far this old guy could not pick it up. Was not easy but I got it upright even though it was laying to the down hill side where my foot slipped in the gravel. Besides the protection factor in case of dropping the bike, I use the highway pegs almost all the time on the highway. Very comfortable for me. These are not very good pictures but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?-hd-softail-custom-3.jpg   Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?-hd-softail-custom-2.jpg   Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?-hd-softail-custom.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the nostalgic one and had it powder coated black before installing it. I liked the curved better but not the fact that it only came in chrome. Also, I changed up the look of my Bones quite a bit so it fell in with the look far better than when stock.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:35 PM
mkenkel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bar looks good on a bones. put some highway pegs on there and you will really like it.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Slim Rich
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the look Skeez. Been considering putting one on my Slim as well. Getting close to pulling the trigger...

Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I doesn't look good... it looks freakin' awesome!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
When I bought my 99 Softail Custom 5 years ago it already had one on it. I dropped mine one time on a hill in gravel while backing up. The engine guard kept it from even the slightest scratch and kept it from going over so far this old guy could not pick it up. Was not easy but I got it upright even though it was laying to the down hill side where my foot slipped in the gravel. Besides the protection factor in case of dropping the bike, I use the highway pegs almost all the time on the highway. Very comfortable for me. These are not very good pictures but you get the idea.
I had a similar crash last summer. After the spill the bike ended up laying cross-wise on the pavement - facing downhill and laying flat as a dead horse. It was hard to get leverage and factoring in the slope made it impossible to get footing. I don't know if the engine guard would have helped much on that slope, but I think it would have saved the gas tank from getting dented.

Thanks all for the pictures.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I put one on my Fatboy LO. Besides the extra protection it makes for a nice place to put some highway pegs.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I know it kinda fits with the theme of my deluxe, but the ones I have now is my first bars of any bike I have ever owned and I really like them and the way they look. I think you will be fine, especially if they are going to be black.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer

I like the pictures. Crash bars, as they were once known as, are looking better and better to me. I really was hooked when I saw that engine guards were standard equipment on the 1936 EL model.

I watched the history of HD show recently and they showed the Army Flatheads during a training exercise during WWII and those guys were having too much fun; they raced across the field, laying down their bikes (with engine guards) and took cover behind them. Righted them up, raced some more, and ditched them again. Sprung seats must have really helped on off-road conditions - those guys were bouncing.

Quick Reply: Anyone put an engine guard on their CrossBones or other bike?