Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bel-Ray transmission goop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015 | 08:38 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

THNX Tony!

Old 02-03-2015 | 02:00 PM
beary
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Because an oil is thick and tacky, it's viscosity, does not mean it doesn't flow and lubricate well. Synthetics do both of these much better and why gear lube is so much better and called "gear lube". It's ability to stand up to "shear" is far greater and can maintain "viscosity" yet flow far more freely than engine oil.

Does this mean "engine oil" will not work in your tranny? Of course not BUT you wont get the level of protection that a Syn gear lube will give you. It's "flow rate" is what one will see when it seeps or leaks around gaskets. SYNTHETIC OILS DO NOT cause an engine to leak oil. If you put syn in your engine and it leaks the problem was already there and what you are seeing is superior flow rate verse inferior dino oil or gear lube.

That is a prime example of using dino all the time verse Syn. The dino oil all the time works on gaskets while synthetic doesn't. Use syn from the get go and assuming everything is tight, will never attack your gaskets and leak or seep. Syn flow rates are far superior, that's why it finds lose or defective gaskets. It flows far better cold yet maintains viscosity while maintaining its flow rate and sheer when cold or hot.
Good post thanks. As an engineer and aircraft mechanic (long time ago), I like to use the best oils for the job. I like dino oil only for breaking-in and old gaskets. Other than that, I use synthetic in just about all my engines including my new 4stroke sears weed wacker. Plus, 100 plus temps are not uncommon in Oklahoma and I can feel the advantage of syn for the heat.

I do understand why old gaskets leak with syn oil, but the balance depends on how I intend to use the bike. I bought this evo softail as my local hop-to-the-store-for-milk bike. It will get rode all year long, but it won't get rode hard in the cold or heat, although some of my trips to get milk have taken several hours. Not that I wouldn't use a good quality oil, but I think the Bel-ray is way overkill for my need on this bike. Now my SG on the other hand....

Three days is too long to drain out the Bel-ray, so it is staying for the next 5000 miles.

Fun discussion guys, thanks.

Beary

Old 02-03-2015 | 04:44 PM
swifty
Road Captain

Not that I trying to keep this discussion going, but 3 days to drain the tranny??????? Are you removing the dipstick? Bel-ray was drained out of my old bike in 1 hour and that was with a tranny that had a side port drain hole! If it takes 3 days I would make sure nothing is blocking the drain. Are you sure its not red line????? Belray is dark red , red line is pink like pepto bismol...

Old 02-03-2015 | 05:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

This will make a Harley transmission as smooth as the manual steering boxes back in the 50 and 60s. After a few years, they would no longer keep 90wt gear lube in them and we used this...sure would not run out.
http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-waterproof-grease

Old 02-03-2015 | 07:42 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

The oil topic? #1) Yes, everyone has their beliefs. #2) Everyone is right! I had my 1st Harley in 1975 and back then di it was all I new and has access too. If my remembering is right, I only ran Castrol in it that bike a 75 Super glide. After that is when I started my carer in the chemical industry. I was privey to a ton of material, tests and data. After so much ex poser to all of that I tended to start to go with science.

Also, it sounds like you are wanting to change but don't want to fool with that "honey" oil you have in there. There is a product out there called "Rislone". It is an oil treatment and cleaner. I use a quart every oil change on my cars and I have for the last 20 years and the few times I wanted to try another oil in the bike, I used it to flush the system out then warm it up and drain, your good to go.

You can also leave it alone and change at the next scheduled interval. I also know nothing about that product in he picture that said, I think, Bell Ray grease? Grease in the tranny, just grease? Yep, that's a new one to me so I can't really comment on that at all.

EDIT: I think I have one of the best wrenches around for my bike, the guy is just really good. I have even set a few people up with him in probably a 100 mile radius, they bring it that far for him to work on. He SWEARS by Bel-Ray! He didn;t even stock anything else but Bel-ray until I came along. He now carries Amsoil because that's all I will use!!! I never studied on Bel-ray but if it's all he uses it has to be one of the better oils out there.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.