Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape riders wanted. Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM
bl66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape riders wanted. Pictures

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about installing apes to my Breakout. I'm just not sure wich height. I know I maybe should go with 18'' or 16'' because I'm 6-4, but I think such big apes might look a little weird on a Breakout. So I might go with 14''.

I've seen a ton of pictures with apes on. But very rare a pictures with apes and the riders on it. Especially the height of the ape and how tall the rider is would be interesting.

Anybody got an ape, a picture of him on it please post the picture and your height here. Maybe the 14'' look to small, when I'm on it

Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

The theme of the Breakout is long and low, sort of a pro-street or drag style bike. Apes would be a great way to ruin it.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want install an apes in the breakout, you must install an apes with agressive/radical look,also narrow in the base, to dont break the line of the motorcycle.

YES:

NO(classical ape is not compatible with a bike with agressive look):

Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Street Bob I had from 09 -11. 16" bars and I am 5'7".

Name:  0431c433_zpsea8fc8e8.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  89.5 KB

My 2011 Deluxe with 1.5" x 16" bars. I am sitting on it, you just can't see me.

Name:  IMG_1690.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  144.3 KB

Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 PM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to respectfuly disagree with the one saying apes will ruin the look of your breakout. I think a set of Caralini Evil Apes would look great on it. Check out a member with the screen name 24V. not sure if he is active anymore but his breakout is one of my favorites. He was a very active member in the past. I just pulled this picture off google(above). In the thread post that i got this picture from he said he is around 5' 10". Hope it helps

Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 AM
bl66
Novice

Originally Posted by brockND

I would have to respectfuly disagree with the one saying apes will ruin the look of your breakout. I think a set of Caralini Evil Apes would look great on it. Check out a member with the screen name 24V. not sure if he is active anymore but his breakout is one of my favorites. He was a very active member in the past. I just pulled this picture off google(above). In the thread post that i got this picture from he said he is around 5' 10". Hope it helps
Absolutely. Also saw his picture on Google weeks ago. I think if apes are aggressive, as said here before, it can look really good.

I also don't like the "normal" apes on the breakout. Carlini would look real badass in my opinion. But I really don't know if I should go with 14'' or 16''.

I think to long ones, could really ruin the line of the bike. I probably go with 14'' Carlini. Evil or Pist. (Have to find out the difference

Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 AM
bl66
Novice

I also got long arms. Does anyone of you if there is a major difference between those. I always can align the angle at the bar, that my arms are full extended.

I know 24V (the guy with the red breakout) have the pist apes on, but is shorter than me. Maybe the menace are better for long hands but I'm not sure if those can destroy the bike-line?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 AM
TattedUp
Tourer

Carlini tend to run a little taller than advertised. Something to remember.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget the comfort aspect of apes dude, it's not only about looks when it comes to apes. If you're torn on wether to go 14 or 16s here is an easy way to decide.

Sit on the bike, close your eyes and put your arms up to where you'll wanna be and have someone measure how high your wrists are from the top of the trees and boom there's your height.

If you are dead set on 14 and 16 inches high pick the one that's closer to whatever that measurement was that you took when your eyes were closed. Rememeber you can gain or loose a couple of inches by swapping risers. Keep in mind if you're gonna add some height by swapping risers you gotta worry about your wirring being long enough.

I'm 5,11 and you can see my apes on my signature. I don't rememeber exactly how tall they are, I can check for you if you'd like. They were in that 14-16 inch range.

Last edited by Alain; 01-31-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 AM
digthemlows
Cruiser

Not a Breakout, but the Deuce has the more low/aggressive lines. And traditional apes like the Wild1 Chubbies I installed don't go as well as those pictured above. I am however 6'7" and was looking for comfort as well as looks....so I went with 18" Pysco Chubbies..... I love em!

Deuce Apes 2003 Anniversary HD

Quick Reply: Ape riders wanted. Pictures