Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer cable kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Suffergauge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer cable kit?

Got a 08 Crossbones to install 16 inch apes on. Can't find a "kit" for cables etc. Anyone know of manufacturer that does this or the proper way to measure for length? Why would a regular softail kit not work? Too short? Thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffergauge
Got a 08 Crossbones to install 16 inch apes on. Can't find a "kit" for cables etc. Anyone know of manufacturer that does this or the proper way to measure for length? Why would a regular softail kit not work? Too short? Thanks
Hard to give you an answer given how little information you've provided concerning which "kits" you've looked at that won't fit...

As far as what length you need; the maker of the handlebars tends to be the best source for this information. Most people expect the cable manufacturers to provide this info but they usually won't they just make the lines. They don't usually make the bars or risers or any combinations that people could install so it would be impossible for them to form some sort of database for fitment.

I know that Burly states their kits won't work for Springers but the reason they give is that the caliper on a Springer in on the opposite side of the wheel as any other FL Softail and thus the break line would not be long enough. Which of course is NOT true! Your Crossbones has the caliper on the same side of the wheel as any other Softail of similar years. Where there is a difference is that your caliper is mounted FORWARD of the forks...sort of towards the top of the wheel. Other non-Springer Softails have it mounted BEHIND the forks... What this means as far as your break line goes is that the angle of the fitting on the caliper ends bends in the opposite direction relative the the fitting on the reservoir end. Since Burly's break lines don't have an adjustable fitting then their break line will not fit exactly as your stock one does. You'd have to try and TWIST the line in order to get both fitting to line up as they should which is very impractical given that these lines are that flexible and twisting them could cause issues down the line. It's not to say it won't work at all. It will most likely reach but you'll have to route it a bit different and you may have clearance issues with the bleeder in the caliper which is right next to the banjo bolt.

Another concern they may have is that Springer handlebars are going to be wider than non-Springer bars. The reason being is that the risers on your Crossbones and other Springers are about 5 inches apart from center to center where as non-Springer risers are closer to 3 inches. So even if you install the same height bars with the same height of risers on your Bones as apposed to say...a Heritage Softail or Deluxe...you have to account for the extra width. So even thought the height of your controls may be the same...they will be a couple of inches further OUT from the bike. The exception to this rule is if you go with bars that have a narrower design such as Z bars or the like which don't need wide bends at the bottom near the risers but rather have 90 degree angles which makes them narrower.

Best bet is to get the length from whoever you are buying your bars from. Then contact different makers of lines and cables and let them know what length you need and specify that it's for an FL Springer.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 01-28-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM
2009FLSTSB
Intermediate

I did the same install on my '09 Crossbones. I went from the stock height bars which I'm pretty sure were 12" mini apes to 16" apes. I also kept the original risers. If you change the height on your risers, that will affect your cable length as well. I used the Magnum Cables website to figure out what I needed.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/inde...0&color_id=any

Clutch Cable: 70 11/16"
Throttle Cable: 38 1/2"
Idle Cable: 38 3/4"
Brake Line: 50"

The brake line length is also gonna depend on what banjo fittings you use, and if the are integral to the brake line. I used a brake line that had the banjo fittings as part of the brake line with a 45 degree on the master cylinder and a 90 degree on the caliper.

You're also gonna need to extend the handlebar control wires somehow, be it plug and play wire extensions or what I did was I order a handlebar wire kit from ebay and ran the wires inside my bars. I cut the stock wires leaving enough on either end to work with and soldered in an extension then heat shrinked everything.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Suffergauge
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'm just doing the labor for a buddy of mine. The last set of apes I installed was on my bike, fxst, and after talking to several folks just ordered a 15-17" kit from burley and everything fit perfect. I called burley and the guy I talked to told me their kit wouldn't work on a springer but didn't know why. I looked at the bike yesterday and had a few things catch my attention. The stock routing of cables and wires go under the front end because the top of the springer gets so close to the neck at a full turn. I did notice the positioning of the front caliper. I'll look into what kind of bars he's buying at ask the manufacturer too. Thanks again.