Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know about the Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to know about the Deluxe?

As with cars, computers, etc, there are always gotchas or things that should be looked at/looked after, and I would imagine that the Deluxe is no different. I've got my endorsement, my down payment, and my accesories list, so it's only a matter of time before another 07 White Gold Pearl/Vivid Black Deluxe finds its way into service. The question is, what do I need to know. Are there quirks in the bike's handling? Certains parts or pieces that come loose, take excessive wear, etc? Any questions I should be asking the dealer?

Any and all information would be appreciated. Can't wait to join the ranks of proud owners of Harley's most beautiful time machine (opinions vary, of course).

Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What do I need to know about the Deluxe?

Know the seat gets softer with mileage.
Don't toss it around like a sport bike, you will hit hard parts, and while the boards are no biggie and can be fun, the frame isn't.
Don't buy the hd saddlebags for it.

Open the deluxe pictures thread at the top of the softail forum before you buy any parts.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 PM
billvaughn
Tourer

I can't speek for the 96 and the 6 speed...But the Deluxe is a great softail with the nostalgic look and that's what I was looking for....I have about 12000 on my 05and have had no problems with it what so ever....The only thing I have to decide on is what mod to do next...And I think it will be the Nacelle...Enjoy it and make it your own.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2670/E46D2F9B8539464DA0262FB50EDB00DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most find the seat very uncomfortable and replace them otherwise,the bugs stuck to you teeth from grinning will brush right out and the erection will go down by your first 1000 mile service.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you should know its a great bike and it will take all your money when you start to add mods

Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

What Nikon said--this bike keeps looking better and better with the more crap you dress her with. I love my '05.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
overthehill
Cruiser

The fit is great for us folks under 5' 5". Easy to handle and smooth ride. I like the retro look and even added parts to make it look late 50's early 60's.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
defenderp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what they said! Beautiful, smooth handling bike. Enjoy!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As all have said on here, it's a great bike. Take your time and learn your bike. We bought the wife an 07 Deluxe back in September. We made a lot of mods. The main reason we got it at that time, is we got a limited edition paint set for it. That made it easy to go with the flame theme. I would suggest
riding it for the first 1,000 miles to really get a feel for it. Check out how other bikes are dressed out. Then you will be able to settle in on a direction. I’ve be called ****, because I’ll dig through the accessories catalog for hours and hours. I’ll make a spreadsheet of all of the accessories I want to eventually put on it. Then, as money becomes available, or there’s a good sale, I’ll add something to it. Check out a post by Ultrapassenger, and you will be able to see how we have been working on the wife’s ride. Good luck… welcome aboard!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Thanks for the info all! Any taller riders (I'm 6'3") have any troubles with the low seating position and footboards? Everything seems well sitting on the bike and I'm not sure how much a test ride will reveal, but have any taller riders donesomething like aniron butt ride in the saddle?

I plan on sticking with the retro theme, but want to get the V&H BSS, PCIII, and stage 1 air cleaner right away. Will be adding a crash bar as well, but I'm not too hot on the H-D part. Anyone know the manufacturer of the bar setup that integrates highway pegs into the bends? I've seen it on a couple of Deluxes, but never caught the brand.

Quick Reply: What do I need to know about the Deluxe?