Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know about the Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: What do I need to know about the Deluxe?

It's just like any FL softail. A real sweetheart. I tossed the awful stock seat the first week I had mine, which will be two years this weekend. I have a Mustang solo on it now, and It's pretty good. Just bought new tins for mine so I can change the look.
Yer gonna love it. Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: WouldBeHD

Thanks for the info all! Any taller riders (I'm 6'3") have any troubles with the low seating position and footboards? Everything seems well sitting on the bike and I'm not sure how much a test ride will reveal, but have any taller riders donesomething like aniron butt ride in the saddle?

I plan on sticking with the retro theme, but want to get the V&H BSS, PCIII, and stage 1 air cleaner right away. Will be adding a crash bar as well, but I'm not too hot on the H-D part. Anyone know the manufacturer of the bar setup that integrates highway pegs into the bends? I've seen it on a couple of Deluxes, but never caught the brand.
I'm 6'02" I had the seat modified by a local upholstery shop. $120 and they put me farther back and down. No problems whatsoever. I am adding extended brake pedals and shifter arms (after almost 18 months and a pile of miles) to give me a little more foot room.

The guards with the pegs are either the mustache by hd, mustache by kuryakyn, or linbar/twinbar by lindby.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:19 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I'm 6'02" I had the seat modified by a local upholstery shop. $120 and they put me farther back and down. No problems whatsoever. I am adding extended brake pedals and shifter arms (after almost 18 months and a pile of miles) to give me a little more foot room.

The guards with the pegs are either the mustache by hd, mustache by kuryakyn, or linbar/twinbar by lindby.

Thanks Rhubarb! You are correct, the part I am thinking of is H-D's mustache engine guard (49140-05). I'll have to keep the seat adjustment in mind.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 AM
JoeVFR
Tourer

It's a great bike. The only thing I have noticed is a fogging fuel indicator (but I wash it often). Mine's an '05, I just put the V&H BSS and PCIII and air filter on this past winter, HUGE difference.
The only thing you may hear caution about is the cam shoe tenioners on the TC88B's (I am assuming the TC96B has them as well, but it is just an assumption) I haven't heard much about these lately, but you can do a search on them. There is an option to make them cam driven instead of chain. I will probably take a look at them, but not until the end of this riding season.

Enjoy it, its a great ride.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Deluxe? Retro with thick White walls...lots of flare

Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JoeVFR

It's a great bike. The only thing I have noticed is a fogging fuel indicator (but I wash it often). Mine's an '05, I just put the V&H BSS and PCIII and air filter on this past winter, HUGE difference.
The only thing you may hear caution about is the cam shoe tenioners on the TC88B's (I am assuming the TC96B has them as well, but it is just an assumption) I haven't heard much about these lately, but you can do a search on them. There is an option to make them cam driven instead of chain. I will probably take a look at them, but not until the end of this riding season.

Enjoy it, its a great ride.
Thanks Joe. Do you have a part number for the air cleaner kit? I'm sure it's in the wish book, but I can't find a simple listing. I'll have to take a look at those tensioners in the future. Will do a search on the 88B in the meantime.

vertigo - Thanks for the help man! [8D] Nice bike, BTW!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Part numbers so far:

H-D Mustache engine guard: 49140-05
Dynojet PCIII: 813-511EX
V&H BSS: 17921

Anything else a newb should look at right out of the box?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks will want to talk to you almost everytime you go out for a ride. They will want to tell you how beautiful your bike is, how much they love the look, blah, blah, blah.

It gets so darn predictable...

Absolutely no issues with mine. Get the engine guards. Avoid the "matching" HD bags.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 AM
vonzipper
Cruiser

i'm 6 ft and this is 10 times more fun to ride than the road king classic i just sold. cheers, von

Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

Congrats, and Hold on to your wallet!!!

Quick Reply: What do I need to know about the Deluxe?