Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Backoff XP install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Help with Backoff XP install

Hey guys and gals...

I picked up a Backoff XP brakelight modulator, and am getting ready to install it. I've looked around online, but can't find any really in-depth videos or walkthroughs that point out specific wires/splice points, and I'd rather know what I'm doing before making a hash of my rear lighting wiring harness.

From looking at the module's install instructions, it appears to need to get spliced into the switched power to the brake light, and also tied into ground. I took a look at the rear lighting wiring diagram in my shop manual (electrical stuff is definitely not my strongest suit, but I really want to do this myself - gotta start learning somewhere) and it appears that what I need to tie into is the red and yellow wire on the rear harness for brakelight switched power. It also appears I could splice into black on that harness for ground. Or would I be better off getting the ground connection elsewhere?

Can anyone either confirm, or correct me if I'm wrong, on the wire choices here?

Is it reasonable to just unhook the rear harness from the main harness at the connector to keep it 'cold' while I work on it, or should I still disconnect the battery from the whole harness?

As for connections, I was thinking of using insulated spade connectors (as was done in a youtube vid I saw) to allow for easy later removal of the module if desired. Am I asking for trouble doing this, rather than using either a more permanent mechanical connection or soldering the module in?

Thanks for the input guys...

Dan