Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam's....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam's....

Okay, I have a question. I need some convincing, some help and some enlightment on cam's as I am treading in unfamiliar territory. I do intend to create a post in the engine area but I thought I would ask here first... You read and post with a certain group for a while and learn who knows what and such it's just more comfortable this way.

I have been thinking about changing the cam's in my '07 Standard. Now, I will admit this. I don't intend to put a big bore on the bike for a long time.... much further down the road anyway and the only real reason I want to do this is to get that lope sound.

But, I have to justify this. My main concern's.

1. In changing cams... do you have to have your PCIII re-dyno'd? I am thinking timing is effected.

2. Can changing cams be just that? Can you just change the cams without having to do anything else besides possibly what I asked above in number 1?

3. Will it do anything for me along with giving me what I want? Performance wise on an otherwise stock 96 with just the stage 1 and pipes and PCIII? Is it worth it for me to even think about this for any reason at all outside of trying to fill my simple little void of "the lope"?

So basically I am wondering if I can just swap out cams to get what I want.

Also. As stated I am in unfamiliar areas. Has anyone here changed the cams in the 96? Hard or easy to do? I have a manual (haven't looked at the process yet) and am mechanically able. How tuff a job is it in an experienced person's eye?

Also. Given the information I have supplied above. What cam's are recommended by anyone for what I want? Or am I limited since I am not doing anything with compression to say the HD 203's or 255's? Will they do me any good?

I am sure there is a post somewhere about cam's. I intend to research. Before I do that though I want to know if it's really worth looking into for my reasons of wanting it. Thought maybe here would be a good place to start.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 PM
purple haze
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam's....

HI , I will try to give you what little I know on cam's, I own a 06 scremin eagle fat boy 103 and the cam is SE-253 and I have 2 in 1 pipe, K&N, and DYNO-TUNED at 1000 mile service right at 100H.P& 100 TOURQE but this cam came with the bike, I'M not sure what size cam you are running now it may be a SE-204 not sure thou.!! I was told I could put a different cam and rod's but it would have to be re-tuned with my SERT, sorry I did not mention I run the SERT but I was told just by going up in cam I would make 10 or 15 H.P or more in TORUQE but I am not a wrench so would have to have done by dealer or a HARLEY mech. Go to your closet dealer and they have 2007 scremin eagle pro part's catalog and there is 10 different cam's for our bike's, I was told this would give me the most H.P for not to much money or motor work but you said you are a wrench so you may be able to do the job but I'M pretty sure you will need a DYNO-TUNE after ward's sorry this is all I can tell you, you may try the tech. section and get better information I let dealer do the big stuff because I still have year on warrenty and was told if they did work they would honor warrenty. GOOD LUCK! PURPLE HAZE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/79231A88538C48F4AB3DC4A037B20CD1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I can gather, you may need adjustable pushrods, depending on lift. Not sure if the lifters need replacement. I'm sure someone will be along soon that has done this.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Dinger
Road Master

He's only changing cams to get the "EVO Engine" Idle sound.

Before you really get into this kind of engine modification,go to repair shops, the parts/service department at your dealerand even this forum and ask ifthis cam change will giveyou the Idle soundyou're looking for? Maybe you can meet up with someone that's done the cam change and hearhis bike idling.

Please post your information when youget some information.

I'm alsonot thrilled will the EFI Twin Cam idle.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

U are right Dinger. That is my primary purpose... but if I can also gain 10 hp just changing cams... well to me that makes it worth it to do so. That's just gravy for me. That's why I said I need to justify any cost factored into this.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't have the low idle lope of an Evo or older because you need to run 900+rpms at idle to keep oiling up.
It will get a little more erratic with the right cam, but will never sound like an older motor.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Dinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: lionsqrne

U are right Dinger. That is my primary purpose... but if I can also gain 10 hp just changing cams... well to me that makes it worth it to do so. That's just gravy for me. That's why I said I need to justify any cost factored into this.
Changing cams would bring you an increase in horsepower however, you'll need to determine what your riding requirements are as thechange in valve timing affects wherethe point of peak horsepower and torque occur in your engine's powerband. In other words,your power bandcould shift from bottom end/midrange to midrange/top end.You might not be so happy with the resultswhile riding in normal daily traffic.

Just my 2cents. I'm not a mechanic, so please consult with one before spending your cash and time.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Garett
Cruiser

i have a se 203 cam in my bike , just to add a lil bit power and sound, i do not intend on a bbk until about 20 or 30 k on my bike, then ill tear it down , and go crazy , i wanted nice reliability and sound so i went with a 203 , some of my buds have alot bigger cams and they are great , if you intend on doing heads and other work, the other thing that you need to know is the bigger the cam, the louder it is , some bikes sound like they are gonna blow up , espessialy when they are setting at a light , when its hot out , very noisy, but they are bad ****....... all in what ya want to do

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

Talked with a friend of mine at my dealer and he also confirmed this. While the 203's would give it a little better sound and a little more HP the cost of it cannot be justified in my mind nor would it give me the sound I was seeking. He said the only way to achieve that would be thru a big bore kit and even then it won't be exact in what I want. So by the time I spend the money to have the cams installed I could spend 5 or 6 hundred more and have the big bore done.

The 203's don't require new rods.... but if your gonna tear that much down you may as well get the adjustable push rods and put in for future change and then your gonna end up with the 203's sitting around because you would be using different cams anyway.

So, it stays the way it is until it get as many miles on it as Garett had said.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had that slow idle chug n draw n chug in my 01 dyna but it was a carbed bike .. dual 88 cam.. stock.. cept a thunder-slide carb rebuild and V&H straight shots staggered. I sure miss that sound.. Not sure what I'd have to do to an EFI 96 motor to get that sound.. or even if I can with EFI.. heh

Quick Reply: Cam's....