Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoked wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015 | 08:13 PM
DaveB65
|
Stage IV
Default Spoked wheels question

I'll be trading in my '14 Low Rider for a '15 Heritage Softail once the snow melts.

As I'm "building" my new bike, I have the option of spoked vs. cast wheels.

I love the look of the spoked wheels...its just classic. However, I wonder how well they hold up as far as remaining true. Some of the roads that I ride can be a bit rough and I wonder if going with the cast wheels would be a better option than having to worry about out of true wheels.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-03-2015 | 08:49 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

57,000 miles on my wheels, haven't had to re-true yet. They aren't as delicate as you might think.

Old 01-03-2015 | 09:02 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I put a lot of miles on spoke wheels between my heritage and my former 09 road king Classic and never had a problem with any of the spokes coming loose; however, cleaning can be a choir especially if you have white wall tires. I don't mind the extra work because of love the classic look.

Old 01-03-2015 | 11:21 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been riding with laced wheels since '88. I have not had a problem with out of true wheels. But, it is important to periodically check spoke tightness. I'm in the habit of doing it every oil change (5000 miles) which may be more frequent than necessary. It may be strange, but I use a reflex hammer (I'm a doctor) to "listen to the sound" of the spokes.

Cleaning is a bit more tedious, but, that's the price for that classic look. I say go with the spokes.

Old 01-03-2015 | 11:27 PM
tommyglide
Tourer

Spokes on my 09 Heritage, they get cleaned and checked for tight frequently, a small price to pay to have a good lookin wheel if that's what a rider wants. Oh yeah, and so far no flats travelling near or far.

Old 01-03-2015 | 11:47 PM
John_K
Road Captain

I like my spokes... except when I get a flat then you are pretty much SOL. With a cast wheel (tubeless) you plug the hole, pump up the tire and continue on.

Breaking and popping a tire bead on a Harley spoke rim is difficult enough when you have the right tools.

Old 01-03-2015 | 11:57 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by John_K
I like my spokes... except when I get a flat then you are pretty much SOL. With a cast wheel (tubeless) you plug the hole, pump up the tire and continue on.

Breaking and popping a tire bead on a Harley spoke rim is difficult enough when you have the right tools.
My spoked wheels are tubeless. Regardless, I use a tube as an added measure.

Old 01-04-2015 | 12:04 AM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
My spoked wheels are tubeless. Regardless, I use a tube as an added measure.
A tube precludes an easy roadside repair... I would love to run tubeless on my spoked wheels.

I think BMW offers a tubeless spoke, but I'm not aware of other choices... please elaborate.

Old 01-04-2015 | 12:27 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

For the 2014 model year and up all HD spoke wheels are tubeless.

Dumb to put a tube in them. Generates more heat thus faster tire wear. Requires more energy to spin the tire or stop it from spinning.

Old 01-04-2015 | 12:36 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by John_K
A tube precludes an easy roadside repair... I would love to run tubeless on my spoked wheels.

I think BMW offers a tubeless spoke, but I'm not aware of other choices... please elaborate.
A tube shouldn't preclude an easy roadside repair if the tire itself is tubeless.

My chrome, tubeless profile laced aluminum wheels were available as an option when I purchased the bike. They are factory HD rims. I searched the online store, 2015 P&A catalog and Google and couldn't find them. I don't know what sizes they are available in. I would speak to a parts person at the dealership. There are also aftermarket wheels available as well.

Quick Reply: Spoked wheels question