Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoked wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015 | 12:53 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
For the 2014 model year and up all HD spoke wheels are tubeless.

Dumb to put a tube in them. Generates more heat thus faster tire wear. Requires more energy to spin the tire or stop it from spinning.
I appreciate the comments, but... how much heat? How much faster will the tire wear? Too many variables involved in how long a tire will last.

Every day there is a new thread about which brand tire to use and which one ran the most miles. Same with how long batteries last, how often to change oil and which oil to use.

I look at it this way. I'll replace the tires when they need replacing. Whether that's after 5k miles or 15k miles. I'll replace the battery when it needs replacing whether that's after 6 months or 6 years. I'll replace the engine when it needs replacing. It's more simple that way than worrying that tubes will generate more heat and wear my tires faster.

Old 01-04-2015 | 01:13 AM
John_K
Road Captain

Did not realize tubeless spokes were an option now. Curious how they're sealed. Gonna have to check this out.

Old 01-04-2015 | 06:36 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

My 2013 has them. Its written on the rim and discussed in the owners manual. They have a special rubber liner around the rim to help hold the air, (somehow). When you replace the tire you also replace the liner. I guess its about the same as replacing the tube on a tube type tire when it gets replaced.

Old 01-04-2015 | 08:54 AM
swifty
Road Captain

They are not all tubeless, the standard rim on the heritage has a tube. If I remember correctly I was going to upgrade to the tubeless smooth profile rim but the dealer told me that HD started to put tubes in them now because of to many people loosing air. The smooth profile rim does look nice.

Old 01-04-2015 | 09:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
My spoked wheels are tubeless. Regardless, I use a tube as an added measure.
So ... you've got suspenders and a belt?

Old 01-04-2015 | 10:14 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I have tubes in my Heritage. I was looking at getting CVO Softail wheels, but they are a bit spendy for me. I would like the dependability of tubeless tires.

Old 01-04-2015 | 10:58 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have tubes in my Heritage. I was looking at getting CVO Softail wheels, but they are a bit spendy for me. I would like the dependability of tubeless tires.
I'm not sure why folks think tubeless are more dependable, one doesn't go flat more often than the other, tubes are just harder to do roadside repairs and more costly once they do go flat.

Also one must consider their style of riding, most softails get less than 2000 miles of local riding each year. It's not like they risk being stranded hours from a repair shop or towing service.

Beary

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:12 AM
DaveB65
|
Stage IV

Thanks for the input folks. I appreciate it.

Old 01-04-2015 | 01:45 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
most softails get less than 2000 miles of local riding each year. It's not like they risk being stranded hours from a repair shop or towing service.

Beary
The most ridiculous thing I've read in days.

Old 01-04-2015 | 03:38 PM
Softail HA
Cruiser

I put the Cvo Softail wheels on mine last year, I was stranded twice in a month with a flat tire, when I had the spoked wheels. Now I carry slime already loaded in a compressor ready to go. I know the slime is only a temporary fix but at 12 o'clock at night 200 miles from nowhere I just want to get home.

Quick Reply: Spoked wheels question