Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, you wouldn't believe how many times I had to read that before it made sense to me lol.

So I'm taking the wheel off (which I didn't think of doing). Then using the axle as reference I'm going to figure out how far back the mounting holes on the sliders are offset.

Then I'll figure out the width on the fender's mounting area and then from that the half way point of the mounting surface on the fender.

Then using the known offset measurement of the sliders I'll know how far back off center the mounting holes need to be on the fender.

Then all I gotta do is figure out how high (off the tire) to make the fender.

Did I get that right?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:37 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alain
Dude, you wouldn't believe how many times I had to read that before it made sense to me lol.

So I'm taking the wheel off (which I didn't think of doing). Then using the axle as reference I'm going to figure out how far back the mounting holes on the sliders are offset.

Then I'll figure out the width on the fender's mounting area and then from that the half way point of the mounting surface on the fender.

Then using the known offset measurement of the sliders I'll know how far back off center the mounting holes need to be on the fender.

Then all I gotta do is figure out how high (off the tire) to make the fender.

Did I get that right?

lol....yes ! the center of the axle ( hole / mount ) so if you draw a parallel line from the center of the axle hole straight up the fork slider .....that is your slider center . keep in mind that the gap between the fender and tire should be at least .500" to allow for tire expansion at high speed .....and differences in tire manufacturers profiles .

the total height ( diameter )of your wheel including the tire divided by 2 will give you the axle center to wheel O.D dimension (radius) . Add the .500" clearance gap to that wheel/tire O.D measurement ..... so now you have the center of your axle to the inside radius of your fender dimension . follow ?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Aaaahhh. I love having a light bulb moment. Lolol

A 1/2 inch thick piece of rubber tubbing would give me enough clearance for tire expansion right ?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
Aaaahhh. I love having a light bulb moment. Lolol

A 1/2 inch thick piece of rubber tubbing would give me enough clearance for tire expansion right ?

in a nutshell....yes. I know this all may sound a bit on the extreme but it will ensure a proper centered fender install . next is to set the height for the final hole measurements .

( remember.....use a center punch , drill small guide holes first and then your proper size ) .

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Thanks professor. I appreciate the knowledge. I'm gonna tackle this at the end of the week. I'll keep you guys posted.

My head is spinning right now Lolol. Gonna let this marinate for a day or two before I dive in.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Alright, alright, alright.

Got mounting holes drilled and fender bolted on.

I was definitely over thinking the drilling of the mounting holes.
Here's what I did. Got the pieces of rubber tubbing on the tire to get the proper height from the tire. I did two rows of rubber tubbing (one on each crown of the tire) in Order to keep the fender from tittering while I was marking it to drill the holes.

I screwed the bolts on the fork sliders and mocked the fender on the tire. I then backed out the bolts from the fork sliders until they touched the fender and just simply traced the heads of the bolts on to the fender.

Took the fender off and drilled mounting holes as close as I could in the center of te tracing of the bolts.

That was it. Super simple man thanks professor for the suggestions on how to do it Lolol. Here is a picture of the tracing before I driled the holes.

Attached Thumbnails Front fender-image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Here's what it looks like after I mounted it.

Sits perfectly height wise off the tire. I made the holes a bit bigger than the bolts so that I have some play for adjusting it so I can have the front half be even with the back half once it's mounted.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Here's how low it's sitting from the ground though. It's a little less than an inch and a half, which I think is way too low.

Gonna have to cut it down there. Not looking forward to that at all. But what the hell, it's only metal I can grind on it till I get it how I want it.

Now I gotta find me a place where I can get spacers. I need 3/4 on the primary side and 1/2 on the exhaust side.

Do you guys know if there is a place I can order fender spacers with custom measurements ? I'm thinking finding 3/4 and 1/2 spacers is gonna be hard since this set up I have is sort of like a Frankestine with a bigger fender and a wide glide front end on a Rocker lolol

Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

yup....that is sitting pretty low . as for your spacers .....try a local machine shop , they can spin some out in no time using some 3/4 round stock . worse case scenario I can turn some on the lathe and send em to ya . I only have ally round stock so if you're wanting the stainless .....sol .

Old 02-05-2015, 04:37 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

if you want to keep the same radius shape as the upper front portion of your fender when you cut it ......make a cardboard template ( cereal box work great) trace the shape of the front part of your fender ( from the inside outwards ) cut with scissors , them transfer the shape onto the lower portion to be cut . mark the line and make your cut on the outside of the line ....this way you can slowly grind your way to the finished radius .

Quick Reply: Front fender