Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fender

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

when you put it that way professor it's a breeze. That's why I love this place. You just made the light bulb go off in my head.

I'm coming up to Montreal to pick your brain a little more lol.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alain
when you put it that way professor it's a breeze. That's why I love this place. You just made the light bulb go off in my head.

I'm coming up to Montreal to pick your brain a little more lol.

lol....it's all good . to even simplify your fender fitment.....you can use some 1/2 fuel hose (rubber) ....wrap it around the tire in 2 places (front / rear) ....drop the fender on....self centering .....measure your gaps....spacers ....done !

Old 01-04-2015, 02:56 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

....Alain....I could not send a pic in the pm .....here's what I meant about the spacers ....

Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Aaahhhh now I see why you wanted to see the caliper side. By the way I replied to your pm before I saw this.

I'll make sure I got enough room on the caliper side to space the fender. Especially being that's the side HD put the offset (I still have now explanation for that offset)

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

I found these spacers professor. They seem to be the "L" shape that I would need for the mounting points on my fork legs. The only problem is that those holes seem to only be open on one side so I don't know how to attach them to the fork leg. Am I missing something ?

https://www.customcycleengineering.c...nderSpacers-36

Attached Thumbnails Front fender-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Alain
I found these spacers professor. They seem to be the "L" shape that I would need for the mounting points on my fork legs. The only problem is that those holes seem to only be open on one side so I don't know how to attach them to the fork leg. Am I missing something ?

https://www.customcycleengineering.c...nderSpacers-36

keep it simple......individual round spacers . (1) Your fork legs have vertical mounts .....copy the hole centers from your OEM fender onto the new fender ....drill .... you can trim off the excess material with a jig saw....file/sand smooth . when I get home tonight I will send you a sketch of what I mean to help clarify .

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

You're a good man !

Old 01-05-2015, 05:19 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

don't mind the cheesy sketch......it's just for a point of view regardless if it is a 23" . since it is so hard to find a "bolt on " wrap fender for the Rocker.....the typical bolt patern for most fenders is horizontal .....you can use the center portion of the fender to drill your vertical style mounting holes and trim off the excess ..... clean up all the radius portions ..... use 2 single round spacers per side to attach the fender to the fork slider. since your set up originally had one side offset.....the 2 spacers for that side will be slightly longer . hopefully the fender mounting portion of your rocker fork sliders have "flats" so the spacers will be stable when tightened . if you opt for not trimming the fender and keeping the horizontal mounts....then you will need those " T " style fender brackets ( with blind holes where the fender will bolt to the brackets ).....the vertical holes in the bracket should be countersunk so the socket cap bolt heads will not contact the fender .....bolt the brackets to the fork sliders first....then the fender to the brackets .

Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer

T style brackets with vertical fork mount / horizontal fender mount

Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Got it professor. I'm glad you drew that sketch man. I was wrecking my brain trying to figure out which way I was going to cut the mounting area. For some reason I was complicating it when picturing it in my head.

Good call on using those mounting tabs if I dont wanna cut the fender. I'll see what it looks like when I mock it up. The mounting holes on the fork legs are not centered on the fork legs, they are offset towards the back so gotta see how those "T" style mounting tabs are gonna work, they might seat the fender too far back.

The fender mounting portions on the fork legs are flat (at least they did that right) lol so spacing the fender shouldn't be too much of a pain. I'll space it with a bunch of washers first to get it right were I want it and then I'll make my spacers from whatever that measurement ends up being.

I'll deal with that when the fender gets here.

I went with klock Werks tire hugger series "wrapper".

Should be here late this week or early next week.

Thanks again for going through all the trouble to help bro. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Quick Reply: Front fender