Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Auxiliary Light Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Auxiliary Light Options

I just bought the HD LED Daymaker for my 2014 Slim. I also have auxiliary lights on my bike but with the standard incandescent bulbs.

I think when I install the LED headlight, I am not going to like the mix of LED and incandescent lights with the auxiliary lights.

What have others gone with that is not the HD Daymaker LED auxiliary lights? I like the HD lights but the price is insane $400

I have seen the Kuryakyn lights and the Truck-Lite but only on the web. Anybody have this combo, HD Daymaker and other brand auxiliary?

I also noticed the HD auxiliary lights say 4" as where the K and TL say 4-1/2". Are the measuring differently and all will fit the same HD light bar part # 68000026?

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently installed the Truck-Lite headlight. Amazing difference during night time driving however I discovered a strange phenomenon. The LED headlight is difficult to see during daylight hours by oncoming traffic. For safety purposes, I am retaining the halogen bulbs in my auxiliary lights and run with the Aux lights "On" during daytime riding.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1
I recently installed the Truck-Lite headlight. Amazing difference during night time driving however I discovered a strange phenomenon. The LED headlight is difficult to see during daylight hours by oncoming traffic. For safety purposes, I am retaining the halogen bulbs in my auxiliary lights and run with the Aux lights "On" during daytime riding.
It's a common problem, the Trucklite is great for the rider but in the day you can't see it from an angle, not good for a motorcycle. I think the HD Daymaker LED is better for daytime visibility (not the one that is a rebranded Truckllte)

I wired my passing lights to the Aux fuse, so that they stay on with the high beam, and I run the high beam most of the time in the day. Nobody ever flashes the brights at me. I also installed amber passing light bulbs, I like them.

I've seen the Trucklite passing lights, they are similarly dim from a side view.

Here's my thread with pics.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ulbs-pics.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The Trucklight LED light is awesome for lighting the road...but it's nearly invisible to other cars unless you are right in front of it. No good for riding on FL roads during the daytime. And while I'd like the LED passing lights too for the matching looks, I'm afraid their side visibility would be just as bad.

I have seen a few amber passing lights so decided to install the 55w 2500K H3 lights below. $17 and free shipping on Amazon. One of my cheaper mods.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013J...&robot_redir=1

I think I like it. The camera does not do it justice but I can really see these bright yellow lights in the daytime. Here are some pics.

One yellow and one original bulb. The camera doesn't pick up the difference like your eye does.

One yellow and one white from the side. Note how invisible the headlight is. This is the problem I'm trying to fix.

Both yellow bulbs.

Side view with high beam on.

Front view with high beam on.

Notice the high beam is a lot more noticeable during the day. I've wired my passing lights to my Aux circuit so I can and do run the high beam in the day. I did it for a long time on my road king and never a flash from a car, it's still not annoying to them but more visible than the low beam.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you use this one from FuelMoto or a different one? I was thinking serious of switching but now I'm wondering if all LED's are the same anyway.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Did you use this one from FuelMoto or a different one? I was thinking serious of switching but now I'm wondering if all LED's are the same anyway.
6000k is way too blue, that light is going be terrible on the road. I tried 5500k on my car and it was worse than halogen by a mile. There is a reason why the OEM's use 4300k light, it's best.

The Trucklite is a complete bulb replacement, and at $175 or so, it's a fantastic mod for night driving. Here's my before and after thread. I wouldn't ride without one anymore. But...it's lousy for side visibility in the day which you can see so I run halogen passing lights.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-inside.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
First of all, I'd like to thank SRV_Fan for his good price and quick shipping on the 7' light and bracket. He is a great vendor indeed.

I had a 7" LED Trucklite on my Road King and the LED is night and day better than halogen or sealed beam. SRV hooked me up with a 7" "Big Friggin Headlight" and bracket. It was a very complete kit, nothing else needed, and a quality kit. The bracket is a very nice piece and SRV thoughtfully includes all bolts and washers needed.

The install is super easy; I soldered the factory wires to the socket that SRV included in the kit, the wires are color coded and it's very easy to install.

Now to the important stuff - the results:

Here is the factory light:

Here is the new Big Friggin LED Headlight. Tomorrow I will purchase the Harley Frenched headlight ring as the LED sticks out farther than the stock headlight ring. Common mod for all Trucklite installations.

Here is the factory bulb low beam:

Factory bulb high beam:

Trucklite low beam:

Trucklite high beam:

These pictures don't do the difference justice; it is like night and day. The LED is so much better than stock that it is really unbelievable. Took a ride tonight through the everglades and it was fantastic. I learned on my Road King that I can run the high beam on a 4 lane without blinding oncoming traffic, and it lights up the night like you cannot believe and is so directional that other drivers don't flash the brights.

The downside of the directional beam of the LED is that it's hard to see from a side angle. For safety reasons, in the daytime, I always run my passing lights which are very visible from the side...and I don't install LED passing lights as they are also very directional.

It's my 2nd favorite mod (straight pipes are #1 favorite). I highly recommend the mod for those like me that like to drive at night.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe G I see your point about the LED headlight not being visible. I am wondering if that is a TL thing? I have seen plenty of newer bikes (like on the Peterson's Key West ride) with the HD Daymaker during the day and the headlight was amazingly bright.

I have yet to install the Daymaker, as I have to wait until Christmas since it's a present from my kids, LOL.

I would really like to know if the 4-1/2" lights offered by TL and Kuryakyn fit the 4" light bar, as HD describes it.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RadRodriguez
Joe G I see your point about the LED headlight not being visible. I am wondering if that is a TL thing? I have seen plenty of newer bikes (like on the Peterson's Key West ride) with the HD Daymaker during the day and the headlight was amazingly bright.

I have yet to install the Daymaker, as I have to wait until Christmas since it's a present from my kids, LOL.

I would really like to know if the 4-1/2" lights offered by TL and Kuryakyn fit the 4" light bar, as HD describes it.
I think the Daymaker is a lot better from a daytime side view from my observations on the road. There was a good review that a member posted but I couldn't easily find it to post a link. But you and I both know they are better from simple observation on the road.

The TL passing lights do fit the HD passing light bar, for sure, I've seen them on many bikes including a gent at Cafe 27 last Sunday. I noticed how his TL passing lights had the same issue with side view as his headlight...and I felt good about my decision to stick with halogen passing lights.

As a fellow S. Fla rider, you know as well as I do how daytime visibility is crucial in the jungle we ride in.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 PM
bigblock59
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out socalmotogear.com
I just ordered a led 7" and their led aux. lights. I've used them in the past when I got hid. Great customer service.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

$400 is hard to swallow for the HD Daymakers. But dude they are worth every penny. I bit the bullet last week and purchased a set of dual 4 inch daymaker auxiliary lamps. My dealership had a sale on them (21% off). I'm putting them in a fat bob headlight bucket to install on my rocker.

If I were you I'd just go with the daymaker. You already know they are bright as hell and you get HDs warranty with them.