Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Apes...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014 | 01:25 PM
Visago
|
Cruiser
Default Installing Apes...few questions

So gonna bite the bullet and order up some 16" gangsta apes. Have a fatboy lo so obviously gonna have to swap out all the cables. Few questions from people that have done this...just gonna go with the stock cable look, no braided...suggestions for decent cables? Also for anyone that put these size bars on...what length will I need for the brake/clutch/throttle cables or should I just ask the company where I order them from? Do you guys recommend getting an extended wiring harness or just lengthening the stock internal wires? And then lastly can I use my stock risers and will I need firmer riser bushings? Anything else constructive to add would be greatly appreciated. Good at wrenching but have never done this job before.

Old 12-18-2014 | 02:44 PM
scheng32
Cruiser

Last year I put on the Harley 16" apes. I choose to put on braided everything, but I used the Harley chart for which cables to buy. That chart will let you know what normal cables and lines.I would get the extension, makes it really easy. You can use the stock riders if the match the diameter of the new bars. If you have the bars off its good to switch to poly bushings. I would also suggest speed bleeders, makes it really easy.

Old 12-18-2014 | 03:05 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Research on here as there are TONS of answers to your questions...

That said, Magnum Shielding...all you need on their site, or call them.

Old 12-18-2014 | 04:06 PM
Visago
|
Cruiser

Nice...thx guys, appreciate the info.

Old 12-18-2014 | 04:29 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Visago
So gonna bite the bullet and order up some 16" gangsta apes. Have a fatboy lo so obviously gonna have to swap out all the cables. Few questions from people that have done this...just gonna go with the stock cable look, no braided...suggestions for decent cables? Also for anyone that put these size bars on...what length will I need for the brake/clutch/throttle cables or should I just ask the company where I order them from? Do you guys recommend getting an extended wiring harness or just lengthening the stock internal wires? And then lastly can I use my stock risers and will I need firmer riser bushings? Anything else constructive to add would be greatly appreciated. Good at wrenching but have never done this job before.
We did 16's on my brother's Rocker.

I would definitely upgrade to polyurethane bushings. It's the last thing we considered doing after the install and it made a world of difference to how secure the bars felt.

Get a wire extension if it's in your budget. The time it saves is way worth it and having the ability to revert to stock length is a great plus.

You should be able to use your stock risers so long as you get bars that either match the diameter of your stock bars or reduce at the center if they are a larger pipe diameter than your stock bars.

I recently did a bar change and contacted several makers who deal only with cables such as Magnum and they DO NOT provide recommendations as to what length you should use. I had to get that info from the handle bar manufacturer and then I used that information to know what to order from a particular company such as Magnum shielding or Burly. Magnum does give some guidelines on how you could take some measurements yourself so you can determine what lengths you'll need but they won't provide an answer for you.

Old 12-18-2014 | 05:44 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

depending on bar design, you cant just go off of bar height to get cables that look just right. wait till you have the full specs of the bar you decide to go with before buying them so you know how wide they are as well. I am also a fan of magnum cables. the reduced effort clutch cable is worth every extra cent

Old 12-18-2014 | 08:13 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

i put 14's on mine, but the cables cable with the bars.. the wiring i soldered in extensions myself. it was a pain in the butt. I went +12", which left me a bit of slack to play around with.. but for what they're worth, it'll be so much easier to just buy the extension harness. it was something like 24 solders i had to do.. some of those had to be done twice because i was too stupid to remember to put the piece of shrink wrap on the wire before i soldered it. haha.

Old 12-19-2014 | 08:25 AM
Visago
|
Cruiser

All good information...thank you guys. I was pretty much thinking after reading your guys comments going with the Burly 14" braided wiring kit which comes with the wiring extensions & all cables, poly riser bushings, & speed bleeders. Think that ought to do it. Have to snag a jack and think it would be a good idea to get the manual for my bike. Gonna swap out grips & levers while I have it all apart. Also gonna check out magnum before I order anything to see if I should go that route instead of Burly. Anyone have the Burly cables? Are they decent?

Old 12-19-2014 | 08:46 AM
Suffergauge
Advanced

http://www.burlybrand.com/ They have cable kits with everything you need including wires, do like the instructions say and take apart the plug. Just pick out the kit for your bar size. Poly bushings for sure. Have had zero issues with my cables.

Old 12-19-2014 | 08:54 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

You do not only need a jack but a wheel chock stand with tie offs...make sure its solid BEFORE you get started. You do not want to have to pick your bike up due to it falling over.

Here is my thread on my install from October...while not the same size apes or the same model bike that you have, you might find something useful in there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...it-begins.html

Quick Reply: Installing Apes...few questions