Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Apes...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014 | 09:27 AM
Visago
|
Cruiser

Thx guys!

Old 12-19-2014 | 09:30 AM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
some of those had to be done twice because i was too stupid to remember to put the piece of shrink wrap on the wire before i soldered it. haha.
LOL....this is where I my most practice soldering.

Old 12-19-2014 | 09:39 AM
rockabillygrl
Road Master

Hill Country Customs. They build it all for you, plug and play. Waiting on my 14 Burly bars as we speak. Easy peezy, lemon squeezy.

Old 12-19-2014 | 10:06 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

For wire extensions I like the ones from http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/ they are 100% plug and play. No having to disconnect wires and pins. just plug them in. Also it is nice with the newer bikes with canbus that the plugs are now small enough to fit through the holes in the handlebars. It really helps to simplify the wiring portion of a bar swap.

Old 12-19-2014 | 11:38 AM
Visago
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
For wire extensions I like the ones from http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/ they are 100% plug and play. No having to disconnect wires and pins. just plug them in. Also it is nice with the newer bikes with canbus that the plugs are now small enough to fit through the holes in the handlebars. It really helps to simplify the wiring portion of a bar swap.
Cool man thx! I'll look into those.

Old 12-19-2014 | 02:18 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

I went with the (black) Burly brand wire extensions and cable kit for my Night Train. Happy I did. It was simple, relatively inexpensive, and the install was easy. If you don't mind a little soldering and heat shrinking, it's not all that bad. The trick to removing the wires from the plugs is to use a bent-back paperclip, and use this as your 'picking' tool to release the clips in the connectors.

Otherwise, for running the wires internally, I just take a piece of string and put a fishing weight on the end to feed it through the bars. Tie it in a circle, and tape the wires to the line and pull them through one by one. Goes pretty quick. On my Deluxe build though, I am going to experiment with different methods on using braided expandable sleeving on each set of wires to give it the nice clean look. Not sure if it will create more problems trying to feed it (I'm sure it will) but the cleanliness will be worth it.

Old 12-20-2014 | 11:41 AM
Visago
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
I went with the (black) Burly brand wire extensions and cable kit for my Night Train. Happy I did. It was simple, relatively inexpensive, and the install was easy. If you don't mind a little soldering and heat shrinking, it's not all that bad. The trick to removing the wires from the plugs is to use a bent-back paperclip, and use this as your 'picking' tool to release the clips in the connectors.

Otherwise, for running the wires internally, I just take a piece of string and put a fishing weight on the end to feed it through the bars. Tie it in a circle, and tape the wires to the line and pull them through one by one. Goes pretty quick. On my Deluxe build though, I am going to experiment with different methods on using braided expandable sleeving on each set of wires to give it the nice clean look. Not sure if it will create more problems trying to feed it (I'm sure it will) but the cleanliness will be worth it.

Good advice...appreciate it.