Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout cam recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 AM
monarchy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakout cam recommendations

I just recently got rid of my sportster and picked up a '13 Ember Red Breakout . I couldn't be more excited. Anyway, I bought V&H big radius 2 into 1 exhaust, SE Heavy Breather, and a Power Commander V. While I'm taking off the exhaust and installing it I might as well just throw in a cam as well. Which brings me to deciding which cam I want to go with.

Can anyone recommend a cam for my goals? I would like a cam with low to mid range power and a very aggressive idle ( I love the lope of a cammed out V8 and it would be nice if I can get something like that on the BO). Ideally the 100hp/100tq would be nice as well if I could achieve that with a cam install. The SE255 and Andrews 57H have been catching my attention but I'm not sure if there are better options out there.

Another question I have is do I need to change out the pushrods when I install a new cam or can I use the stock ones?

Thanks!!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

If an aggressive idle is important to you the SE204's have that and are a good all around cam. But I have heard it is a tricky cam to tune for. I was thinking about the SE255's until I started reading about the high cranking pressure in a 103. If if were my bike I would go with the Andrews 48. You can use the stock pushrods as long as the cam you choose has the same base circle as stock. I would also change the lifters to be on the safe side.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:15 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Andrews 48 for a more low end cam, 57 for a low/mid to high end. The 57 will have a lumpier idle, but won't get you completely to EVO idle status.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM
monarchy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by martin10
If an aggressive idle is important to you the SE204's have that and are a good all around cam. But I have heard it is a tricky cam to tune for. I was thinking about the SE255's until I started reading about the high cranking pressure in a 103. If if were my bike I would go with the Andrews 48. You can use the stock pushrods as long as the cam you choose has the same base circle as stock. I would also change the lifters to be on the safe side.
How do I tell if a cam has the same base circle as stock? After looking over the cams mentioned in here I went ahead and went with the SE255's.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think this'll be much of a threadjacking since we're looking for about the same thing. I'm shopping for a cam for my new Slim and have literally been reading until I'm blue in the face. I read lot's and lot's about not so much the canned "which cam is best" answers, but I actually read a lot of the feedbacks on different cams. There were many suggestions, but then I started to notice a trend. Everyone says there's better cams out there, but I repeatedly and repeatedly found solid, positive feedback on the SE204's!! I managed to find tiny little snippets of bad info here and there for just about every popular cam you'd consider, but the 204 was rarely, if ever, bagged on. Great idle, good across the rpm range (not excellent in one or the other like most, but good everywhere), no starting problems, good on compression, and on and on! The specs on it are excellent and it shouldn't beat up your valvetrain with the .508 lift...food for thought...every article I found indicates stock heads don't flow significantly better over .500 lift anyways; hight lift probably gains you little to nothing with no head work. I only found one post with a tuning issue and that guy had changed to thin headgaskets or something to that effect, which obviously altered compression.

But this is a good thread to start over here as is seems most of the "which cam is best" threads I found in the mechanical section favor the baggers. Your 255 cam is popular there due to the tons of low end grunt to get a heavier bike moving and/or haul two up all the time on a heavier bike. I'm thinking you and I don't need that. But...hopefully we'll get even more feedback, but for everything I've found, the 204 seems to fit the bill for me. There's just too bloody much info out there!

I'll have about the same set-up as you also except I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the SESPT with a custom tune.

Last edited by galaxyfe; 12-15-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:43 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

The SE Pro Super Tuner has a flash for SE-204's and Stage II in 2012-15 1690 Dynas/Softails (358SCV002).

Last edited by PA1195; 12-15-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 PM
monarchy
Intermediate

After I posted my last reply I started looking more into the SE204 and I almost want to cancel my order and get the 204.

Like you said, the 255 is for heavier bikes and I didn't even take into consideration that I'll be riding solo majority of the time.

Just when I had my mind set on something..... Lol

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
I don't think this'll be much of a threadjacking since we're looking for about the same thing. I'm shopping for a cam for my new Slim and have literally been reading until I'm blue in the face. I read lot's and lot's about not so much the canned "which cam is best" answers, but I actually read a lot of the feedbacks on different cams. There were many suggestions, but then I started to notice a trend. Everyone says there's better cams out there, but I repeatedly and repeatedly found solid, positive feedback on the SE204's!! I managed to find tiny little snippets of bad info here and there for just about every popular cam you'd consider, but the 204 was rarely, if ever, bagged on. Great idle, good across the rpm range (not excellent in one or the other like most, but good everywhere), no starting problems, good on compression, and on and on! The specs on it are excellent and it shouldn't beat up your valvetrain with the .508 lift...food for thought...every article I found indicates stock heads don't flow significantly better over .500 lift anyways; hight lift probably gains you little to nothing with no head work. I only found one post with a tuning issue and that guy had changed to thin headgaskets or something to that effect, which obviously altered compression.

But this is a good thread to start over here as is seems most of the "which cam is best" threads I found in the mechanical section favor the baggers. Your 255 cam is popular there due to the tons of low end grunt to get a heavier bike moving and/or haul two up all the time on a heavier bike. I'm thinking you and I don't need that. But...hopefully we'll get even more feedback, but for everything I've found, the 204 seems to fit the bill for me. There's just too bloody much info out there!

I'll have about the same set-up as you also except I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the SESPT with a custom tune.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Good info there! Helps me decide over the same issue of which cam for my breakout.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by monarchy
How do I tell if a cam has the same base circle as stock? After looking over the cams mentioned in here I went ahead and went with the SE255's.
If you go with an SE cam it will have the same base circle as the stock cam. So you can use the stock pushrods.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM
usmcbuck
Tourer

Like others have said, I've done so much reading about cams, I'm just about sick of even thinking and talking about it. BUT! I have made up my mind that when I do change out from the stock cam, I'm gonna go with the SE204. I just think that cam will fit me and the Breakout just right. I also want to go with the perfect-fit pushrods.

Quick Reply: Breakout cam recommendations