Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird turn sig issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014 | 12:41 PM
rchop
Advanced

Did you wire in the running lights on the turn sig? If not that could and will give you a short. My best recommendation is to remove the turn signal wires from the bars and give that a shot. be sure to dead end any live wires you're not using.

Old 12-12-2014 | 05:06 PM
Daddy454
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rchop
Did you wire in the running lights on the turn sig? If not that could and will give you a short. My best recommendation is to remove the turn signal wires from the bars and give that a shot. be sure to dead end any live wires you're not using.
Not sure what you mean by the running lights? I just cut the 2 wires from the lights,and then the 2 on the other end,and shortened them to the new location. Was only the 2 wires as best I could tell.

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:40 AM
nutoy
Intermediate

My friend has a street glide that started doing that with no changes to the bike, and we were looking at it one day and removed the main battery maxi fuse for a few min when looking at wiring .we did not find anything wrong and put the fuse back in and the problem was gone. So we think the TSM reset when we removed the battery power.

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:51 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by rchop
Did you wire in the running lights on the turn sig? If not that could and will give you a short..
Can you clarify this, it makes no sense.

A short is when the current has a path to ground before it reaches the component.

A short will blow the fuse.

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:58 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

If you switched the wires, the running has a different resistance than the turn, it could fool the tsm into thinking a bulb was out.

Old 12-14-2014 | 08:00 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The TSM or TSSM (alarm) circuit is relatively smart. Mine does the same thing if it reads too low a resistance, burnt bulb, bad connection, led bulbs...etc. Since yours starts normal, it must be OK and then problem heats (sounds like a ground somewhere..not enough to take out a fuse but enough to trip sensor in TSM) and it goes into signal mode to tell you what it thinks which is a bad bulb.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-14-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2014 | 08:35 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, check your ground with a jump wire from frame to light base. Look at your bulb and see that one filemint is on one is blinking.
You have changed the resistance somewhere just need to find out where. Go back to what you changed and start there.
Bulbs what orange bulbs did you use?

Old 12-14-2014 | 10:16 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The TSM or TSSM (alarm) circuit is relatively smart. Mine does the same thing if it reads too low a resistance, burnt bulb, bad connection, led bulbs...etc. Since yours starts normal, it must be OK and then problem heats (sounds like a ground somewhere..not enough to take out a fuse but enough to trip sensor in TSM) and it goes into signal mode to tell you what it thinks which is a bad bulb.
When I first ran my LED's without the load equaliser,it did just that, starts flashing at normal rate for a couple of seconds and then at the high speed flash.

I suspect that the bulbs used with the modification are not in the same wattage range as the originals and that's causing the TSM/TSSM to flash at a high rate - best to try the original bulbs to confirm this theory.

Old 12-15-2014 | 12:10 AM
Daddy454
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nutoy
My friend has a street glide that started doing that with no changes to the bike, and we were looking at it one day and removed the main battery maxi fuse for a few min when looking at wiring .we did not find anything wrong and put the fuse back in and the problem was gone. So we think the TSM reset when we removed the battery power.
Now THAT is interesting.I did disconnect the battery,and I pulled the fuse at one point,when I removed the tank,to de-pressurize the fuel system.Maybe I'll try to pull it again and see if it makes a difference.Thanks man.

Old 12-15-2014 | 12:13 AM
Daddy454
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
If you switched the wires, the running has a different resistance than the turn, it could fool the tsm into thinking a bulb was out.
No wire switching...just extended them a bit.Just don't understand why it flashes normal for about 4-5 blinks,then goes fast.

Quick Reply: Weird turn sig issue