Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess I'm just too Old. CARBS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014 | 09:15 PM
TSheff
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Guess I'm just too Old. CARBS

Just read about 150 post about new FP3 tuner using smart phones to map WOW. I have an 09 Ultra that has a FuelPak manually programmed (no dyno) that will run anyone. The rest of my bikes have CARBS and will run with or outrun most.
I do enjoy this site and have been helped so much by some of the experience here. I see where these guys are coming from a little. I love performance, but I also like to just cruise and enjoy the road, the wind, and the sound of my pipes through the twistys.
I am actually a tech (day job) that operates and repairs flow computers, transmitters, control devices, monitoring components, and analytical equipment providing energy to cities, refineries, chemical plants, and power plants.
The last thing I want to do is plot performance curves, fuel consumption, on a display screen hard wired or bluetooth in front of me.
Who would have ever thought HARLEY DAVIDSON and Bluetooth would be in the same sentence?

Old 12-10-2014 | 10:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I am only 65 and I love not having to mess with the carbs anymore and I like the new Electronics on cars and bikes. just me..

We all be diff and that is good... IMO I just go with what I like and leave everything else along for other to pick from...

Old 12-10-2014 | 10:38 PM
TSheff
|
Seasoned HDF Member

EFI is great for trips with elevation change and the easy starts etc. and I wouldn't give up the comfort of my Ultra for long hauls. Please don't mistake my comment as a knock against the tuner guys, but I'm almost your age and I guess I'm just too lazy to learn all the new stuff and all the diagnostic equipment that goes with it. Keep the shiny side up.

Old 12-10-2014 | 10:53 PM
Pete3323
Road Master

Carbs good....EFI good. It's ALL good.

Old 12-10-2014 | 11:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I know what you mean...it took me years to not detest EFI. Now it's been a few years since I've had a carbed bike.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit, I like the BCM, but only because it gets rid of a lot of the wires on the newer bikes. Hopefully it will be as reliable as the ECM has been.

That said, either in 2015 or 2016 I am planning on getting a carbed donor bike for an upcoming project. Took me a couple of years to stop reaching for the petcock and choke...now we'll see how long it takes me to remember them again. lol

Old 12-11-2014 | 07:55 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master

TShef....Love that photo!

I'm with you. I had an '02 Fat Boy. I put on new pipes, air intake, and re-jetted the carb, and it ran perfectly. Nothing else was needed.

I have an '11 Crossbones. I put on new pipes, air intake, and added a FuelPak (same as re-jetting in the EFI world), and it runs perfectly. Nothing else is needed.

I keep things very simple. If I want more air in, and more air out, to make the engine run better, I add more fuel to the mix to balance it out. It's my choice to keep it simple like this.

Last edited by Jaburg1; 12-11-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2014 | 09:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The only thing I miss about carburetors is the "potato, potato, potato" sound. EFI just sounds like it's going to die or it's missing. But I don't miss messing with it.

Old 12-11-2014 | 10:35 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

I have a '14 Slim and its got EFI...runs good, have flashed the ECM and all that. That said, I want to get a carbed bike...as I am doing all my own mechanical work on my Harley, I may as well learn carbs as well. Nothing like the tried and true method (I'm old school anyhow) of doing things. Besides, it looks more fun to work on (I know, looks can be deceiving...)

Old 12-11-2014 | 12:03 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

I got your point. I'm 'only' 43 and I'm totally with you. Although I ride an EFI bike I wouldn't want to be fooling around with my engine settings via my smartphone either.

Old 12-11-2014 | 02:00 PM
TSheff
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
The only thing I miss about carburetors is the "potato, potato, potato" sound. EFI just sounds like it's going to die or it's missing. But I don't miss messing with it.
As my oldest granddaughter would say, when she was little, Rumba-ba-bumba-ba-bumba.

Quick Reply: Guess I'm just too Old. CARBS