Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014 | 04:24 PM
greenbax
|
Banned
Default Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications

Hey guys, about to do some major changes to the look of my softail slim so I am starting this thread to show the progress.

I am going with a custom floating fender courtesy of Kyle Shorey and Shadetree Fabrications in TX. I chose it for the looks, Kyle's reputation, and because I didn't find anyone else that makes a fender for the skinny stock rear tire of the slim (which I love. I am not into the huge rear tires). Also I am a novice mechanic, and I thought it was really cool that they have installation videos on YouTube.

The work just got done and he's provided me pics (attached). This is part of their "fender conversion kit" package and you can find out more at http://shadetreefabrications.com/store/fenders/.

**NOTE: THE PICS ARE OF MY CUSTOMIZED FENDER. A STANDARD FENDER FROM STF WILL NOT LOOK LIKE THIS ONE. THE BRASS WAS ADDED AS PART OF MY SPECIFICATIONS. THEY ALSO DO NOT COME PUT TOGETHER AND PAINTED LIKE THIS, I ASKED FOR THAT AND IT IS AN ADDITIONAL COST**

FYI, he makes these kits for the Crossbones and also he has a new kit for the Breakout also. Those can also be found on his site.

Thats all I have so far, just waiting to get these in the mail. The quality looks great in the pics, but I will have to get it in my hands to know for sure and I will be sure to give you guys a detailed (and objective) review of his work.

So far, I can tell you that my experience with Shadetree Fab and Kyle has been very pleasant. Both he and his wife Deidra are very professional and polite.

Stay tuned for more updates, and of course final pics after the installation is complete. Thanks!!

Last edited by greenbax; 12-04-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2014 | 04:42 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Greenbax, This is fantastic. I was planning on using a Shadetree fender on my Slim, and I still plan this mod in the future. I am looking forward to a few updated photos with this fender fitted. Love the brass trim, wiring, and tail light.
Steve

Old 12-04-2014 | 04:53 PM
greenbax
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Greenbax, This is fantastic. I was planning on using a Shadetree fender on my Slim, and I still plan this mod in the future. I am looking forward to a few updated photos with this fender fitted. Love the brass trim, wiring, and tail light.
Steve
Thanks man, will do!

Last edited by greenbax; 12-04-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2014 | 06:22 PM
Redsauce
Cruiser

Dood! We need to get together, man. I have watched his video a couple times and have considered doing that to my Slim. My problem is that I love the stock seat after I had it recovered to match my swing arm bag. I just came to the realization (after speaking to a couple custom shops in the area) that if I want that look, I need to sacrifice the seat.
Looks good greenbax! I am excited to see the progress!

Old 12-05-2014 | 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I am signing on to this thread. I want to see the finished product.

Old 12-06-2014 | 11:57 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

nice, I'm interested in seeing on the bike

Old 12-08-2014 | 12:37 PM
greenbax
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Redsauce
Dood! We need to get together, man. I have watched his video a couple times and have considered doing that to my Slim. My problem is that I love the stock seat after I had it recovered to match my swing arm bag. I just came to the realization (after speaking to a couple custom shops in the area) that if I want that look, I need to sacrifice the seat.
Looks good greenbax! I am excited to see the progress!
For sure man. My Bike will be out of commission for a bit till I finish this work, but afterwards for sure.

To everyone watching this, I may reach out to you guys for the electrical. Thats the only part Im not very confident about...

Old 12-08-2014 | 12:47 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

Nice looking design. I'm developing a custom rear fender for my Street 750 chopper project and starting with just a basic steel fender from J&P Cycles. Don't even know exactly where I'm going with it yet but got the basic fender as a starting point. Some changes I know I'm going to make is adding an inner fender because I want the rear tail lights to be LED sandwiched between an inner and outer fender with the wiring running down the inside spine of the fender. I may section the fender to make it either wider or narrower when I get that far along. I still have to complete the prototyping of rigid frame before actually starting on the fender so we'll see where that takes me.

Old 12-09-2014 | 01:36 PM
greenbax
|
Banned

**UPDATE***

I forgot to add that I also purchased their spring seat kit with the large saddle seat, see pic below.

I should receive everything wednesday and I will post pics of all the custom parts I receive out of the box. Thanks!

Shadetree Fabrication seat kit (seat, springs, post, battery cover)

Last edited by greenbax; 12-09-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2014 | 06:32 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

I wanna call you a *****; but that's only cause I'm jealous

Quick Reply: Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications