Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014 | 10:27 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Yes. Now sell me your exhaust so I don't have to fork out $800 to get my own!!!

I actually paid $700 for mine off FleaBay.

I love the look and it's uniqueness. ...but man, you will cook your leg if you're not careful. Lots of Dcel pop too...but I like that.

Old 12-12-2014 | 10:36 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
I actually paid $700 for mine off FleaBay.

I love the look and it's uniqueness. ...but man, you will cook your leg if you're not careful. Lots of Dcel pop too...but I like that.
There's actually two listings on FleaBay for a new set of all chrome for less than $600. I thought about getting one and I can just coat the headers but the truth is I am still not 100% set on the new look of my exhaust. I love these but there are a few other looks that may be more appropriate for the new look of my scoot.

Old 12-12-2014 | 10:47 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

There's actually two listings on FleaBay for a new set of all chrome for less than $600. I thought about getting one and I can just coat the headers but the truth is I am still not 100% set on the new look of my exhaust. I love these but there are a few other looks that may be more appropriate for the new look of my scoot.
$600 is a very good price. Whatever you do...be sure to post up pics when you decide. Did you ever go with the Shadetree fender?

Old 12-12-2014 | 10:53 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain

Washer / Torx:
Skeez is correct: Use washers. Then make sure you can see 2 threads of the bolt extending beyond the nut, (when torqued) or get a thinner washer or longer bolt.

Torx hex key: I have found it is easy to use the wrong torx hex key SIZE on a bolt. The head of the bolt will "accept" a tool or (hex key), 1 size under! To avoid stripping the bolt head, I always find the largest tool that will fit, by going one size too large, then using the next size smaller, ensuring the tool is the correct size for the bolt.

Harley uses thread lock so initially it can be difficult to remove torx bolts and easy to strip if the wrong size tool is used.

Hope you got the stripped bolt out using the EZ out.

Good luck, I am excited to see your rear fender fitted!

Steve

Last edited by Jetfever; 12-12-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2014 | 12:40 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
$600 is a very good price. Whatever you do...be sure to post up pics when you decide. Did you ever go with the Shadetree fender?
At the risk of hijacking this thread; Yes.

I got a used fender from another member and chopped it a bit and am making my own struts and tag bracket. I am also making my own seat and coil relocation. This along with a number of other changes. I always wanted to go this route when I first got my Bones over six years ago but because of the two-up riding I was doing with my ex and daughter I went to the opposite end of the spectrum for a while (see my sig pic). Now that I am single again, my daughter is all grown up and living in CA and my sons are way too young to ride with me any time soon, the time for making this change was just right. It was all triggered by a necessary repair that I did and happening upon a tank that really inspired me despite the fact that I never thought I would go for anything like it. Another source of inspiration was my brother who I recently got into a Rocker C and we modded it up with 16 apes and a number of other changes. Tooling around with him and riding about town really made me long to have my scoot made over, stripped down and loud. No more "business up front, party in the back"! More like "all business of partying!"

Was trying to keep it all under wraps until the bike was done but you've twisted my arm to give a bit of a sneak peek...just a bit.

So here are a couple of pics...one of where the bike is at for the moment with the Shadetree fender mocked up (no struts in that photo) and another with a glimpse of the tank.

I may start my own thread in order to toss some ideas around with folks...

Attached Thumbnails Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications-img_5029.jpg   Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications-img_5036.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014 | 01:55 PM
greenbax
|
Banned

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.

Burrito and skeeze, not cool at all guys. Just PM each other, don't hijack other peoples threads. Just bad etiquette...

Old 12-12-2014 | 02:38 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by greenbax
Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it.

Burrito and skeeze, not cool at all guys. Just PM each other, don't hijack other peoples threads. Just bad etiquette...
So "thanks for the help but **** off"?

Nice...

Good luck with that attitude here on the Forums. You've all of 84 posts and you want to talk about Forum etiquette? We comment on all manner of threads because that's the freakin' point! Sharing of ideas and spurring conversations. Almost NO ONE cries about folks stealing their thunder in a thread unless maybe it's the classifieds where one can compete for a sale if you crash a thread.

Anyway, good luck with your project. Hopefully you're good at figuring stuff out on your own because with your attitude you won't be making too many friends around here...

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 12-12-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2014 | 03:02 PM
greenbax
|
Banned

Lol. You're telling me to **** off and I have the attitude problem?

You want to discuss his exhaust, that's off topic. PM him, simple and smarter. A seasoned forum vet like you should know that.

This is a forum, not rocket science. Just use common sense next time.

Last edited by greenbax; 12-12-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2014 | 01:30 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

At the risk of hijacking this thread; Yes.

I got a used fender from another member and chopped it a bit and am making my own struts and tag bracket. I am also making my own seat and coil relocation. This along with a number of other changes. I always wanted to go this route when I first got my Bones over six years ago but because of the two-up riding I was doing with my ex and daughter I went to the opposite end of the spectrum for a while (see my sig pic). Now that I am single again, my daughter is all grown up and living in CA and my sons are way too young to ride with me any time soon, the time for making this change was just right. It was all triggered by a necessary repair that I did and happening upon a tank that really inspired me despite the fact that I never thought I would go for anything like it. Another source of inspiration was my brother who I recently got into a Rocker C and we modded it up with 16 apes and a number of other changes. Tooling around with him and riding about town really made me long to have my scoot made over, stripped down and loud. No more "business up front, party in the back"! More like "all business of partying!"

Was trying to keep it all under wraps until the bike was done but you've twisted my arm to give a bit of a sneak peek...just a bit.

So here are a couple of pics...one of where the bike is at for the moment with the Shadetree fender mocked up (no struts in that photo) and another with a glimpse of the tank.

I may start my own thread in order to toss some ideas around with folks...
Very cool!!! DIggin the tank. I'm glad I asked about it. Looks like some more "work" going on too...I see some other "removed" parts.

I've been considering just pulling the rear fender all together and going rogue.

You better post up a thread when you're at a good point to share. I'll be sure to come in there and hijack it.

Old 12-13-2014 | 02:56 AM
greenbax
|
Banned

Lol post and hijack all you want buddy. Me, I have more respect for the hd forum and the community members. I know they aren't all like you two. Peace

Quick Reply: Work in progress: Custom rear fender from shadetree fabrications