Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp gauge/Dip stick???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Temp gauge/Dip stick???

not to break the trend but decided to be different and a little Off Topic but went with a 44 MAG Oil Cap (to match the 44 Mag Derby Cover) [sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the analog type. You can see the general direction the needle is pointing a lot quicker than you can read the numbers on a digital one.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an analogue one on my Heritiage until the lens developed a mess of water droplets inside. Annoyed the heck out of me so I took it off and put the stock one back on. I was in traffic one day and kept watching the temp gauge go up. I think it got to about 230 and the bike was shuddering a bit at idle. I was getting freaked out as this is my first HD and it was new at the time. I spoke to the dealer and he said that was normal. Ever since I removed the temp oil guage i have not had the problem, maybe because now i can't obsess over looking at the guage.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

My after market analog guage is full of water most of the time as well. Living here on the coast, things tend to be "wet" most of the time just from all the foggy air. So my temp guage is unusable most of the time. I'm going to pull it and put the stock cap back on and NOT worry about it anymore.
I figure that if the oil temp is supposed to be under a certain temperature, HD would have installed a "Kill" switch if the oil temp got too warm or added an oil cooler with a temp switch to regulate the heat of the oil to save on warranty repair work.

hmmm, there I go again with "Wishful Thinking".

Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up the HD analog oil stick today at the st^^^dealer (29.00) vs like 120.00 or so for the digital .... now to find my really old bottles of testor paint... or find a hottie chickero with yellow painted toes or fingernails to borrow for a minute

As far as reading the oil level on the rather small piece of metal .......it is rather difficult

Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The dip stick is a little hard to read, but I would hesitate to paint or strip it with paint for fear that the hot oils would eventually disolve or melt it off and get into the system. Better to just check it in a good light.
If I didn't already have the yellow nail polish I would have gone out to get a bottle. The stuff is handy for other things, like putting a small dab on nuts and bolts that can come loose. One little tiny dab in the junction between any twoparts and its easy to see if something has moved orloosened up on you.
I'll grant you its a wierd color for fingers and toes, but it can behandyto have around for other 'things'. I even used some on a fishing lure once to brighten it up a little. Worked good to till my son snagged it on something underwater and broke the line. He said afish took it, but I think he was trying to pull up an old boot or tire.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Demkay
Road Master

I got the HD analog oil stick and the oil pressure setup thingy.

Can't read the oil temp on the fatboy because of the seat, never even tried whilst riding. Hell, whilst riding it's damn near impossible unless your head is like touching the handlebars. lol

Threw the stupid oil pressure thing away after i spend approx. one week reasealing all the connectors time and time again. What a joke. Oil just pissed out the bike, well, not literally, but it was always dripping. Kept the gauge on the bike as couldn't be bothered to take it off again.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:21 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that's OK I don't have the stock 07 fatboy seat anymore... besides that one rubbed my back fenders(under the flaps)

oil pressure gauge would be cool... wonder why yours leaked...

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Demkay
Road Master

^^^ Well, maybe I'm just a **** wrench. lol Strange though, as I had a friend who's good with bikes go over it several times.

Maybe i just had a bad one, no idea. But I couldn't stop it leaking, and I used everything.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 AM
2003chromefatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to comment on this. In Dec. of 2002 when I bought the 03 fatboy I purchased the LCD dipstick. It worked until April of 06. Wouldn't light, and I figured it needed a new battery. Changed the battery, but it didn't work. Tried again, no luck. I call Chicago HD and talk to a tech., he tells me that this is a common issue. Now all I have is an expensive dip stick. Put the stock dip stick back, and it looks great.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge/Dip stick???