Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp gauge/Dip stick???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
ST Deuce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Temp gauge/Dip stick???

ORIGINAL: WARG

I like the look of the regular HD one as well. Is this the one you put on ST DEUCE?

Are the dipsticks the same length as the OEM dipstick? I only ask b/c I had a guy tell me he bought the LCD gauge and the dipstick was so short, it didn't register any oil on it. Didn't make sense, but just thought I would ask.
yeah, its the same one, and yes the stick is the same length.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Guess I'll put my vote in for the analog HD gauge too.
I got it because like someone else said you don't have to fiddle around with buttons or dead batteries. Besides I ALWAYS check the level manually before I go anywhere so the level function isn't very useful for me.
I have been thinking ofswiping some red nail polish off the wife and putting a thin stripe on the bezel rim at about the 230 or 235 mark. That way I don't even have to bother trying to read those little numbers with my tri-focals while zipping down the road at 75mph. If you do that and put it in so the stripe is to the front it only takes a very quick glance to see if its under and fine, or over and I may have a problem.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 AM
VETTE68327
Novice

My personal favorite is the analog style. The only thingI DON'T like is that it doesn't seem to fit as snug as it should. SinceI switched to to synthetic oil, the problem seems to have got even worse.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:12 AM
shortfatboy
Banned

good tip citrioplus, I have bad eyes too, a mark on the dial...great call!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: shortfatboy
good tip citrioplus, I have bad eyes too, a mark on the dial...great call!
Thanks, at first I tried reading it all the time, but the numbers are small and its not in a really good place for quick and easy reading while riding. So I tried to do what they used to do in airliners with analog gauges where theyrotate them so all the needlesface the same way whenthey are operating properly.
Only having the one gauge on the tank I tried to orient it so at 200 degrees the needle faced straight ahead. Only problem with that is that if your not paying attention or get distracted after checking the oil you don't always put it in dead right. So the first time you 'think' its too hot or cold you get spooked into pulling over to check. Then you get annoyed because there isn't anything really wrong.

With the bike parked its easy to see like this.

But with eye's like mine it takes time to focus on something that's under my leg. So more often than not whenyoumove your leg out of the way to take a peek at it all you see is something like this.

With the paint mark on it doesn't matter if its in the exact right position or not.With the stripe on thereyou do not have to read the actual numbers just the needles relationship to the stripe.
Just a simple case ofusingthemilitary 'KISS' principal for my own ends.

BTW I tried the Red, but it was a little too dark to see easy at night. So I useda bottle of yellow that one of my son's ex goth gf's left behindafter she got replaced.I have been using it to waterproof things with. Yellow seemslike it will bea bit easier to see after dark.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

ORIGINAL: nvsteve

I have the analog stick in my Heritage and it works well.
You can test in in boiling water to check the accuracy.
Mine was pretty close.
I had the digital with the level indicator. The levelwas neveraccurate as it would say high, normal, orjusterrorand the Lcd faded out in less then 3 months. I have the analog temp only and it is very accurate and I think it looks better too.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:54 AM
EJ48
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the LCD one on my 07 Heritage for now it works great. well see.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to concur with the analog folks; I think they look much better.

As far as the dipstick being too short, it is possible this person bought the wrong one. My dad has an 85 Softail Custom, his dipstick is about half the length of the one on my bike.

Citori, may I ask why you marked it at 235? I was under the impression these bikes could run without issue at higher temps than that. I base this on what I was told by my dealer; perhaps I should get my manual out.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, pulled out the manual and I now remember why I asked the dealer. The manual lists the phases of EFI engine heat management system, but says it is for the FLSTSCI only. This makes no sense to me, don't all Softails for a given model year have the same motor? Anyway, Phase 1 of this system initiates at 266 degrees, Phase 4 at 331 degrees.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, analog it is...

thanks fellas,

WARG

Quick Reply: Temp gauge/Dip stick???