Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating factory spoke rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating factory spoke rims

On my 2008 night train, I want to either replace the front rim with one from a breakout, or, consider having my rim powder coated.
I have wondered how sucessful that would be, and can a tire be mounted up without messing it up?
Has anyone tried this, if so, is there someone good at doing rims?
Or, should I just let it go and go with a breakout rim?
Thoughts?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Did them to my Sidecar project. Helps to have a tire guy that knows how to go easy.

Joe at Powder Pros has put a few pics of powder coated wheels https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...9-jrk5892.html

Last edited by hspring03; 11-19-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM
greenbax
Banned

***STOP***
There is a better option than powder coating.
Use plastidip. It comes in different colors, it protects your wheel, it's much cheaper than powder coating and most importantly, if you don't like it you can just peel it off!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

How funny!
I am sure plastidip has it's merits. I am sure I want a black wheel, though.
What's funny is my center console is at Powder Pro right now getting the ignition switch and instrument ring done in black.
I will check into it with him.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct way to powder coat a spoke wheel is take it completely apart. Otherwise, when you go to adjust the spokes during the truing process, the powder coat can crack and flake and then looks like ****. You can do it without disassembling the wheel, but you take that risk.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

use plasti dip hahaha man i have seen dip ruin chrome, eat away at alloy wheels, you name it, plasti dip is for 16 year olds with honda civics not a harley. Gator please let me know if you have any other questions from the email buddy happy to help you out.

chrome wheels plasti dipped, we got into the shop here is the stains that the dip left... i have also seen plasti dip lift clear coat clean off the paint it was laid on... it is not as harmless as people think we just deal with it much more considering we do powder so they bring us parts to fix after they dipped them

Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 AM
rancid13
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gatorfrey
On my 2008 night train, I want to either replace the front rim with one from a breakout, or, consider having my rim powder coated.
I have wondered how sucessful that would be, and can a tire be mounted up without messing it up?
Has anyone tried this, if so, is there someone good at doing rims?
Or, should I just let it go and go with a breakout rim?
Thoughts?
I did it to mine. Get a really good powder guy (I'm sure Joe is more than capable) if you're not going to disassemble them. My guy locally did an amazing job. True, I'll have issues if I have to get the spokes trued, but ask around how many people have had to do that very often.

Pics here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ed-wheels.html

Last edited by rancid13; 11-20-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: content
Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 PM
MattG1329
Advanced

I powdered both my front and rear stock spoke rims on my FXST. I had the bearings removed from the wheels and took them to the coater. They turned out great and continue to look good after two years. A few people told me that things wouldnt work well with powdercoating the spokes as well, but they were wrong.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:08 PM
JRK5892
Banned

man... wrote a huge response with about 15 pics and all got erased...

ok so lets try this again...

we can coat wheels both ways we can break them down, coat them in parts, re lace, true and mount and balance tires. We have also developed a technique we call cross linking where we link 2 coats of powder to ensure full coverage is achieved on a assembled wheel. Think about it, how often have you EVER seen a wheel go out of true, do a search on her for it, very very very rare... sure if you coat a wheel assembled you can not remove just one spoke without damage to the powder however if you have a bent or broke spoke there is typically a bent rim to go along with that spoke so the powder worry on the wheel is out the window cause you will have to redo the rim anyway. you can still break a coated spoke loose though with the correct tooling for spokes, i just did it last week actually. Think of a sealed wheel as we see alot of the company's turning out nw for spokes, you can not true those wheels, they are sealed with silicone on the inner rim. i have 2 of my own bikes where i broke down the wheel, we coated it in parts, and then assembled it... then i have 2 bikes where we shot them assembled as well. We also balance with dyna beads as well to make any small compensations that may be needed. Powder is not cement, you can remove it if needed you can break bolts loose that have been coated same as you would spokes, it is just not super easy is all hahaha

coated wheels we have done where we broke them down

Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM
JRK5892
Banned

wheels we have coated assembled

Quick Reply: Powdercoating factory spoke rims