Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train - Apes or Drag bars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 PM
HARLEYANARCHY
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Train - Apes or Drag bars?

I have been doing some looking at several different night trains and the bars people choose for them... and I still cant pull the trigger. I have been leaning toward the ape hangers to get that different look, but wonder if there are quality of rides that would sway me back to the club style bar. I currently have the Harley street slammer bars in chrome, which look ok but they pull back too far and the bars are just too low. I'm 6'2" tall and want my hands around shoulder height, maybe a bit lower. I'm about to test fit my buddies stock apes from his street bob as well to see how far forward they will pull my arms, and save me from buying the wrong bar...

Ok, now that you know this, can anyone help me with suggestions or reasons why they went the way they did? I'm not wanting to start a debate, rather just get some insight. I have heard that apes can give a loose feel to the front end at higher speeds, then others say its BS. I think a higher t bar might look a bit odd.

If you can please post a pic. I have tried to look at the night train pictures threads but man it sucks reading and reading and reading to find pics that don't show any more! And if you have links to my question please pass them on! Thanks fellas

Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Try both and go with the most comfortable.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm your size & am very comfortable with the apes on my FB that put my hands just about at shoulder height. I haven't noticed any significant difference in handling. The best thing is I no longer get an ache in my shoulder blade, which I always had with my other Harleys. They all had lower, closer to stock height type bars.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:50 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a mix, let's call em drag apes (mini apes sounds stupid, lol). I'm a bit shorter at 5-9 and with the bars rolled forward my arms are about shoulder height. The bars are 10" Todd's Cycles on 1.5" risers. No real difference in handling that I could tell, and they didn't help the shoulder and back at all. Still get the shoulder pain on long rides, but I think that's mostly just me getting old.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:27 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Went with Harleys chubby mini apes like jreichart because of neck and shoulder pain with the stock drag bars which it has helped to some extent, but like jreichart I'm also getting old, the bars are 10" with 1" risers, since this pic was taken I've pushed them forward which gives a bit more height, I'm 6'.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

I have my Train down for the winter. But, I did just put on some 10 inch mini apes with 3 inch risers. Have not ridden it a foot, but can tell just by sitting on it, that it is going to be a much better fit for me. I am 5'8".

Attached Thumbnails Night Train - Apes or Drag bars?-pa260016.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
sBender
Tourer

I'm 6'1" and this is a very comfortable rise for me. Those are 16" burley narrows on heritage (1.5" I think) risers.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Try both and go with the most comfortable.
Only you can decide. Big difference in comfort and drive ability between the two. I prefer the apes from a comfort standpoint. But, it's a personal preference thing. SJ Ron

Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Everybody and their grandmother has ape hangers, which is why I went with drag bars.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
HARLEYANARCHY
Novice

I agree that the bars are personal preference. I personally think that when a taller drag bar goes on the bike, they don't look right. I like the look of my street slammers, but they aren't where I want my arms when I ride. If I go with a 10" straight rise, then I think my hands would be in the right position, just takes the look away. That's why I am leaning toward the narrower style of mini ape (or drag apes like jreichart likes to call them). I like the Carlini Menace apes and drag bars, but they dont make them in 10" (drags) or 12" (apes)! I guess the other issue is the width. I only want a 32" width... man I'm picky...

Does anyone have some pics of drag bars that are a 10" rise with a bit of bend in the riser?

By the way thanks for posting pics guys, believe it or not it helps me greatly!

Quick Reply: Night Train - Apes or Drag bars?