Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014 | 07:58 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

They both come with the same 103, heritage has 16" wheels, soft leather bags. Tire size & weight load. I hate riding my heritage with a passenger.

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:02 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

Traded my 2012 FLHX for a 2014 Heritage, never could get comfortable on the Streetglide. Softails are lighter, have a lower center of gravity, and the counter balanced motor is smooth as silk. Touring bikes are high centered, heavier, and they shake like paint mixers in town. All highway go Roadking, mixed use go with the Softail, it is much more comfy, IMO.

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:29 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer

Have a heritage and a Ultra. Totally different bikes. For short run arounds and if I'm headed out 1 up---the heritage is Fun Fun Fun. That being said and knowing my Ultra has tons more crap on it then a RK--but same frame same suspension basically. Long haul, they are in the touring class for a reason. Long Rides the Touring bike, the RK hands down---Fun short blasts--I smile at the softail

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:37 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Traded my 2012 FLHX for a 2014 Heritage, never could get comfortable on the Streetglide.
cool--see I look at a street glide and think--wow that looks comfortable! The MOCO's best sellin bike ever. They do look cool. Most I know freakin love em--refreashing to see a differing opinion. I do agree the softail is a much easier ride. Also agree about the center of gravity being lower.

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:40 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
This question has been discussed in great length and a new thread is started on this subject almost constantly. The conclusion is get the road king before the trolls show up talking about lean angle and such. If you are comparing a softail to anything else you shouldn't buy a softail. The Softail is a unique ride for unique rider and yes I have owned a 09 RKC and a 11 limited. Tourers don't compare at all to the softails.
Troll here.

The majority of the responses refer to how far/long you ride; short, around town jaunts vs. longer rides. I'll offer a different perspective:

Do you like to "ride"? I mean, do you like to push it, even a tiny little bit?

The Heritage/Deluxe have the least lean angle of any Harley-Davidson currently in production. The Road King has among the best.

Now, keep in mind, your ability to ride your bike, with the correct body posture, affects lean angle more than the design of the bike.

But, if you like to "ride", it's a Road King.

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:57 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

. . . and the RK shakes and the Heritage does not. Seriously, there is a lot of difference between the A and the B motor. Put some miles on each before you make a decision.

Old 11-13-2014 | 09:55 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I told you the trolls would show up. They have to. It's like clock work. For some reason they are compelled to put down softails on the softail forum and any other forums on HDForum. Welcome to the STF where most softail owners are extremely happy with their purchase and that is why it is rare to see any complaints or regret threads. Softails are the best motorcycles period and trying to convince us otherwise is futile but please continue to try it's very entertaining. Me and my buddies always get a laugh at the latest road king vs heritage thread. It convinces them even more that their next bike should be a Softail .

Last edited by Tailsfrommycrib; 11-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2014 | 10:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I rode a RK,,, St-Glide-- and a Heritage....

The Heritage is in the garage,, Im 6'2'' 280 and the wife 5'4'' 125 and she has been on the back 80% of the 52k miles we have on this one we bought new in 07..

Old 11-13-2014 | 11:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by erbssr
For those who have owned both, which is better for distance riding??
I know you asked an honest question, and most of us are doing our best to share our thoughts with you. Unfortunately, this guy doesn't want you to hear any opinions other than his own:

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I told you the trolls would show up. They have to. It's like clock work. For some reason they are compelled to put down softails on the softail forum and any other forums on HDForum. Welcome to the STF where most softail owners are extremely happy with their purchase and that is why it is rare to see any complaints or regret threads. Softails are the best motorcycles period and trying to convince us otherwise is futile but please continue to try it's very entertaining. Me and my buddies always get a laugh at the latest road king vs heritage thread. It convinces them even more that their next bike should be a Softail .

Old 11-13-2014 | 11:28 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Here's how I came to my decision.

50% local - 50% highway-- toss up
49% local - 51% highway-- Road King
51% local - 49% highway-- Heritage

I went with the Heritage and don't regret it.
In a couple of years I'm planning on adding perhaps a Street Glide but I can't imagine getting rid of my Heritage.
I like this reply. I put several thousand miles a year on my Heritage. All of it solo and all of it commuting or trips under 200 miles. Beyond that I take the touring bike.

Quick Reply: Road King or Heritage