Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Softail Rear Shocks

Can anyone suggest how long the rear shocks last on a Softail with normal daily riding ie not running over speed bumps at 90mph or crazy stuff like that? My GF has 42k on her Deluxe and I am wondering if time to replace. They arent leaking and appear to be ok. Thoughts?

Old 11-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

As long as they are not bottoming out and the ride is acceptable then they are more than likely fine.

I doubt there's an actual "shelf life" on stock shocks but I would imagine by the time most have 42K on them they've upgraded them already.

I certainly don't want to start another freaking debate on what shock is best to upgrade too, so please just search the forum to gain knowledge of the options.

If she's looking for a more forgiving ride, she should consider Progressive 422s (~$300), Progressve 422 RAPS "Regular not Heavy Duty" (~$500) or Shotgun Shocks (~$1200).

Old 11-10-2014, 02:18 AM
eagle4u
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Can anyone suggest how long the rear shocks last on a Softail with normal daily riding ie not running over speed bumps at 90mph or crazy stuff like that? My GF has 42k on her Deluxe and I am wondering if time to replace. They arent leaking and appear to be ok. Thoughts?

If your GF does not mind the original shocks, I have new "take-offs" from my Fat Boy. Soon as I got my bike, I had it lowered. PM me ! I am willing to let them go at a very reasonable price. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,765 Likes on 2,017 Posts

In my experience, it seems that the damping can degrade quickly once the shocks pass the 50,000 mile mark, give or take a bit. I've noticed this with both OEM shocks and Progressives. It seems to happen fast, too. I usually notice it in unusually rapid tire wear first.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

GAWD, I was sitting here thinking of that. 45K on stock shocks? My kidneys and back would have never lasted that long, bless her heart!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
GAWD, I was sitting here thinking of that. 45K on stock shocks? My kidneys and back would have never lasted that long, bless her heart!
LOL! Well she only weighs 125lbs soaking wet and has never ridden with a passenger. Most of those miles are touring miles. I just dont want to replace them if not really needed.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

I am not sure about the softails, but I know (according to the major aftermarket suspension companies, Progressive and Legends specifically) shocks on touring bikes have a life expectancy of 10k miles. I would suspect the softails are in that same ballpark....IMO, stock suspension is junk and the first mod on a new bike should be the suspension.....I come from a motocross background though.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:21 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
I am not sure about the softails, but I know (according to the major aftermarket suspension companies, Progressive and Legends specifically) shocks on touring bikes have a life expectancy of 10k miles. I would suspect the softails are in that same ballpark....IMO, stock suspension is junk and the first mod on a new bike should be the suspension.....I come from a motocross background though.
I would expect the aftermarket shock vendors to make such statements so they can sell their stuff. I put 45k on my original OEM air shocks on my StreetGlide and replaced them only because I had the bike lowered. The originals were still good. Harley uses SHOWA shocks which happens to be the largest shock manufacture in business in the world. I claim no expertise in shock design or production but I would hardly call them "junk". Others here will certainly argue that point but I have no dog in that fight.
By the way, what exactly do you ride?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
By the way, what exactly do you ride?
These:

Why do you ask?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM
GibT
Tourer