Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Brobrian
Progressive 422's did not provide the dream ride some on this forum have boasted about.
I'm not sure what threads you have read but I don't recall reading any that claim that Progressive 422s provide a "dream ride".

I think the Progressive 422s do provide an enhanced ride over the stock shocks that I had, but at the end of the day my Heritage is still a softail and rides as one should.

Also, the shocks are only 1 part of the ride comfort.
I think my gel seats provide an equal level of enhanced riding as my 422s.

I have no regrets on spending the $500 on my 422 RAPs.

Last edited by Bluraven; 11-30-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Brobrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final 422 Input

So, having traveled my usual routes with the new Progressive 422's adjusted for the least preload. I concluded that they were far too stiff (previous post ). Today I adjusted the ride height. I raised the height about 16 flats on the nut. This increased the ride height about 1 1/2 inches, adding to the travel of the shock and swingarm. The effect was significant. While the ride is still a scosh stiff, which I like, bumps were absorbed much better. Progressive says in their instructions that the ride height is lowered by 1" when you get the shocks. This apparently translated to my springer being slammed. On the freeway this AM the ride was the roughest I'd ever experienced from my bike in nearly 20 years. I thought, "Oh crap, I've bought the wrong shock for my bike."
After today's adjustments and an evening test ride, I'm pretty much satisfied with the results. If anything changes, I'll post.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Brobrian
So, having traveled my usual routes with the new Progressive 422's adjusted for the least preload. I concluded that they were far too stiff (previous post ). Today I adjusted the ride height. I raised the height about 16 flats on the nut. This increased the ride height about 1 1/2 inches, adding to the travel of the shock and swingarm. The effect was significant. While the ride is still a scosh stiff, which I like, bumps were absorbed much better. Progressive says in their instructions that the ride height is lowered by 1" when you get the shocks. This apparently translated to my springer being slammed. On the freeway this AM the ride was the roughest I'd ever experienced from my bike in nearly 20 years. I thought, "Oh crap, I've bought the wrong shock for my bike."
After today's adjustments and an evening test ride, I'm pretty much satisfied with the results. If anything changes, I'll post.
Apparently my '12 Deluxe comes lowered 1" out of the box. I may see if it could be adjusted up also, tho I dont find it uncomfortable so far...

Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have over 63K miles on my stock shocks with no intention of switching them out anytime soon. In the six years that I've owned my bike I haven't had a single issue with them. They still perform the same as ever (I am sure there is some degradation given the age and wear but I sure as hell don't feel it) and I have no issues with odd tire wear or other such things.

The idea that stock shocks are junk and give out after less than one season of riding is ludicrous at best! And as far as back pain or what have you because of stock shocks? Really...?

If your wife can't tell that her bike performs any different or has gotten more uncomfortable in regards to suspension then maybe consider changing them. Otherwise I don't think you need to be trying to hunt down shelf life data or taking the word of aftermarket manufacturers looking to dip into your wallet.