Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable Handle Bars for Shoulder and Neck Pain

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 PM
SafetyGirl
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable Handle Bars for Shoulder and Neck Pain

I have a herniated disk in my neck and it causes my shoulder and arm to ache after long miles. I'm hoping by changing the bars I can alleviate some of the discomfort. I have an 09 Deluxe. I'm wondering if I should go with a taller bar like the Heritage bars or a mini-ape, or stay with a traditional bar but with a pull back riser? I'm 5'5". Any one else change their bars and relieve neck or shoulder pain? Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:39 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyGirl
I have a herniated disk in my neck and it causes my shoulder and arm to ache after long miles. I'm hoping by changing the bars I can alleviate some of the discomfort. I have an 09 Deluxe. I'm wondering if I should go with a taller bar like the Heritage bars or a mini-ape, or stay with a traditional bar but with a pull back riser? I'm 5'5". Any one else change their bars and relieve neck or shoulder pain? Any advise would be appreciated.
I also have herniated disks in my neck (C3 and C4). I put a 4" riser on my stock Fatboy bars which moved it 2 1/2" up and 1 1/2" back. Made a world of difference and didnt have to change cables.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you sit on your bike and think about what body position you're in, I'd guess you are leaning forward/down to reach the bars. If that's the case, finding a more upright/natural position will probably help.

It sounds like you are already looking at two ways that can be used (one, the other, or both) in order to fix this. It's really a matter or which you'd prefer.

If you like the lower bars, pullback risers would bring them closer, allowing you to sit up but still steer lower. If you like the higher bars, you can use them to get your arms up, which a lot of us find more comfortable on the back, neck, and shoulders. You can roll any bars forward or backward in order to change your grip position, but the higher the bar, the more forward or backward lean you can generate, too.

My wife has 12" apes on her Lo, and I have 16" apes on my Slim. We're both really happy with the riding posture they afford us. One of my female friends rides a Heritage with stock bars, but pullback risers, which brings them closer to her and allows her to sit more upright while still maintaining the bars below her shoulders, where she likes them.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:34 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see a windshield on the bike? Like them or not, they really do take pressure off your arms and shoulders...just a thought

Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I also have herniated disks in my neck (C3 and C4). I put a 4" riser on my stock Fatboy bars which moved it 2 1/2" up and 1 1/2" back. Made a world of difference and didnt have to change cables.
I agree with HDMIKIE, I had mini apes on my Street Bob and my shoulders and back constantly hurt. I put a set of drag bars on with an nice rise and pullback that fit where I wanted to sit and the height my arms felt comfortable. On my Fat Boy Lo, I just want to lift them a bit with a slight pullback to be a little bit more comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
1999 flstf (10-12-2019)
Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 PM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's her bike. Windshield & drivers backrest.

I had a buddy we ride with stop by a couple weeks ago with his Heritage. I put a stock set of Deluxe risers on it for him as he wanted the bars a little taller. The stock Deluxe risers gave him an added 1-1/2" rise and 2-1/2" pull back with a more vertical bar position. Just what he wanted.

SafetyGirl sat on this bike and found it to be fairly comfortable. I'm leaning towards a set of 1" stock Heritage risers with about a 10" mini ape/Heritage style bar BUT 1-1/4" bars so she can internally wire them. YES, she does her own wrenching.
Biggest thing is she wants to hear from "others" with neck/shoulder issues.

Just notices that was your first post Girl. Congrats

Last edited by raggmann; 11-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 PM
J.Rott
6th Gear
Default apes or pullbacks.

I like "baby apes" myself (12") but if you look at my current ride (pics in softail section) im currently using a 6" riser on what ive been told are pullbacks but ive always known them to be called tiller bars. I dont have any disk issues to speak of but i do know when my bars were low the bike rode like crap(i dont like leaning forward or on my wrists to ride) that is kinda a crotchy ride and not my cup of tea(can of beer) As for a the wind sheild; they do reduce fatigue. And a quick release provides the best of both worlds. Wind resistance on the open rd and pop it off for good looks when city rippin.
I had a memphas shades bat wing on a dyna i liked a lot. But i dont have issue with the wind(its kinda why i ride).. big bulky helmets can create a helluve lot of drag. And the streamlined ones look like ****. If you use a skull cap or jockey style try a ride without the visor(if it has one) they pull back your lid pretty hard and sure could irritate a neck condition.. but... Its down to how you like to ride. Id jst pop on a set of risers and tip the bars back a tad and see if that helps. if it makes a diff. Look at your options. Or take a skoot on a friends bike with high bars. Thats free. hope it helped ya decide man. Safe ridin.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM
SafetyGirl
Stage II

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I have some time over the winter to do some research and try sitting on some different bikes to see what feels right. I just know I need to do something to make that trip to Sturgis next year, pain free or at least pain tolerable.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

After re-reading some of the posts, I forgot about the windshield. It makes a huge difference on your neck and back when you are not pushing wind. When I first got the Lo this year, my detach windshield was on back order. I was sure sore after an hour or two of pushing wind. It was such a relief on my back and neck after I installed the windshield. Keeps bugs and other debris from hitting you as well. I highly recommend it to give you a great deal of relief!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default bars and necks

Well I made a mistake and put Harleys Slammer bars on my Fatboy Lo because they felt pretty good and I like a bit of forward lean to protect my lower back. Made a 3k trip to Sturgis and was in agony the last half of the trip. Left hand thumb and forefinger were numb and my neck was killing me because my head was tilted back all the time. Thank heavens for ibuprofen. Got a stack of bars in the shed now but finally found 14" apes on 2" risers worked for me. No neck pain or numb hands. My suggestion is to do sit on the bike and choose a height 1" below shoulder level and a grip 4" to 6"'s wider than your shoulders(depending on your personal front end) that leaves your wrists in a natural position. On the bar width just feel what is happening between your shoulder blades and find that neutral spot of no strain. I still like a bit of forward lean because when the bike bottoms out on bad potholes my spine has somewhere to go rather than getting pile driven. Just have a buddy help that's good with a yardstick.

The following users liked this post:
B.K. (11-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Comfortable Handle Bars for Shoulder and Neck Pain