Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which wire to power the passing lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014 | 11:32 PM
katanaplanet
|
Banned
Default Which wire to power the passing lights

2008 Heritage. I am removing the aux light switch( the one on the fork cover), and also getting rid of the front fender tip light. Can I power the black/grey wire coming out of the two passing lamps with yellow wire from the headlight? Any other idea?

Old 11-04-2014 | 08:36 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by katanaplanet
2008 Heritage. I am removing the aux light switch( the one on the fork cover), and also getting rid of the front fender tip light. Can I power the black/grey wire coming out of the two passing lamps with yellow wire from the headlight? Any other idea?
Are you trying to set it up so your passing lamps will be on all the time? If so and you are eliminating the fender lamp then just power the passing lamps with fender lamp feed.

Also, not sure how the wiring is on a bike that already comes with passing lamps and fender light but; when I added those things to my 08 Crossbones, I discovered that there were already plugs for both of those things under the left side of the tank. The wire for the passing lamps was just a short yellow wire coming from the headlight wires with a male spade connector cover with a black plastic boot. I tested it and it was hot whenever the bike was on so I assumed this was for bikes with passing lamps. Not sure if you have this spare connector and if you do, if you'r bike is already using it and is set up to be powered by your switch.

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (10-25-2016)
Old 11-05-2014 | 07:34 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

I already answered this in your other thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ts-switch.html

Old 11-05-2014 | 09:42 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

The passing lamps that I bought for my Springer were barn-fresh and the wires had been cut. The only wires coming from the lamps were one load wire for each light. The lamps are self grounded with the ground wire connecting to the inside of each lamp housing. I looked at the instructions for a passing lamp kit from Harley to see what their wiring harness looked like. I made my own by simply buying a relay and making all the necessary connections with the exception of eliminating the switch.

That was before I took off the tank for the first time to re-do my bars and found the fender lamp plug as well as a spare hot wire coming from the headlight harness, both on the left side of the bike. I assumed that Harley just uses the same wiring harness for all the Softails and in the case of those models like my Bones with no extra lamps, these plugs are just extras. Harley doesn't bother to "terminate" them from the harness. I was glad for it because I added both a set of passing lamps and a fender light on my last conversion and the plugs were already there.

If I were you and just want the passing lamps on all the time then I would just use the fender lamp wire as a load for the passing lamps. It couldn't be simpler.

Old 11-05-2014 | 11:32 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine

If I were you and just want the passing lamps on all the time then I would just use the fender lamp wire as a load for the passing lamps. It couldn't be simpler.
This may not be a great idea. From the factory the passing lamps are tied into the low beam headlight wiring. I'm not sure the tip light circuit can handle the load of the passing lamps.

Old 11-05-2014 | 01:51 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

From a 2005 Model. Check your service manual for any differences.

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (10-25-2016)
Old 11-05-2014 | 06:05 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Yup, that above is the same for my 2012 manual right here. Hasn't changed in a long time I'm sure.

Old 11-06-2014 | 07:02 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley makes a "kit" to do what u want for around $30.

Old 11-06-2014 | 07:07 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cocky
Harley makes a "kit" to do what u want for around $30.
Isn't the Harley kit to keep the passing lights on with the high beam? This guy just wants to remove the switch. All he needs is to connect 3 wires together. Literally one solder or butt connector.