Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Night Train- Side mount plate & brake light wiring- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:39 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 Night Train- Side mount plate & brake light wiring- HELP!

I need some help. This is the first twin cam bike I have ever owned and it really seems that everything is a bit more complicated than my shovelheads......

I made a side mount plate and tail light bracket that will mount to the axle. When I pulled the fender off to get rid of that ridiculous factory plate/tail light bracket there is a circuit board for the brake light and turn signals. I want to take it out, but I do not know what wire is what, and both turn signals are the same color!

I was going to do it how I have done it on all my old bikes, and hard wire everything in, with disconnects in case I need to pull something apart, but I cant figure out the wiring and the service manual is worthless. It is all plug in and unplug, etc...... Any help?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

When I was running the stock FX fender, I left the light bracket and there, trimmed it and just moved the plate mount behind the foot peg clevice. I then ran the wires up and tapped the blue for power and the black for ground in the harness that goes to the tail light assembly.

Drivers turn signals are BRN/BLK, Passenger turn signal wires are V/BLK.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Finmad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

See if this helps.

2008 Night Train. I put the 1928 Ford style brake light and license plate mount.

Three wires from the light. Red goes to the bracket on the bike. I ran the green and black wires up to the wire harness at the oil tank. Disconnect the rear fender harness at the junction block behind the oil tank. Open the two tabs at the top of the junction block that is still connected to the wire harness and pull out the red wire with yellow stripe, and the orange wire with white stripe. The red wire with yellow stripe goes to the green wire from the light. The orange wire with white stripe goes to the black wire from the light.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 AM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finmad
See if this helps.

2008 Night Train. I put the 1928 Ford style brake light and license plate mount.

Three wires from the light. Red goes to the bracket on the bike. I ran the green and black wires up to the wire harness at the oil tank. Disconnect the rear fender harness at the junction block behind the oil tank. Open the two tabs at the top of the junction block that is still connected to the wire harness and pull out the red wire with yellow stripe, and the orange wire with white stripe. The red wire with yellow stripe goes to the green wire from the light. The orange wire with white stripe goes to the black wire from the light.

It definately helps, and I am using the same type of light on mine but I made the plate and light mount myself. We shall see if it flies off the first time I hit 80......

Last night I had already cut the wires going to the factory brake light after the junction panel (is that the correct name?) that is behind the factory lens and got the light working. What I want to know is, how do I completely eliminate that stupid junction panel? How did you deal with yours?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Finmad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saz
It definately helps, and I am using the same type of light on mine but I made the plate and light mount myself. We shall see if it flies off the first time I hit 80......

Last night I had already cut the wires going to the factory brake light after the junction panel (is that the correct name?) that is behind the factory lens and got the light working. What I want to know is, how do I completely eliminate that stupid junction panel? How did you deal with yours?
I disconnected it at the fuse box under the seat.