Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Riders V Touring Riders, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 AM
MacKenzie001
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just happy to have a bike that starts every time I thumb the button, and has never left me stranded.

The fact it looks awesome, sounds wicked and is half ways comfortable is all a bonus.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

As a rule (there are plenty of exceptions)

The Softail Forum is by far the most relaxed, which doesn't surprise me.
Is one of the exceptions the Shotgunshock threads?

Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Callgood
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THis and the touring section are the only 2 I really frequent. As mentioned by the OP, I believe the biggest difference is age. For the most part the touring riders are older (with possible exception for SG riders). As we get older, we ache more and get cranky, I know I sure have. Many mornings when I leave for work and look at which bike to ride, I pick the Ultra. It is just so dang comfortable.
When you take a high mileage trip, those little quirks on the bike tend to become a bigger issue, so we complain.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

The OP will be 67 in December and I'm not sure the crankiness of the touring riders is all about age. The Rushmore line is probably the best Harley has ever built and many still are never satisfied no matter what.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 PM
gsgtrman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Them touring guys probably get so distracted by all those technical features, gadgets and gimmicks of their bikes they simply forget about the mere joy of riding .

Now go ahead and me...
...and they also forget to pick up their hands and wave when they go by a lowly Softail...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I'm fortunate to have a Softail and a Rushmore Touring bike. I check out both sites frequently. I gotta say there seems to be a huge difference in the two. when I'm on the Softail site, guys are often discussing customizing, mods, and riding and very little whining. Not so on the Rushmore site. Seems many of the riders there nitpik small stuff to death and many of the threads are complaints or whining. Cranky old men? Seems many of the touring guys are more into techno junk and less into the simple joy of riding. I've seem complaints about the brake pedal being off a couple degrees, the shape of the saddlebag latch and they can't make their phone calls while texting, streaming video etc etc. I love the Softail site.
I love the post of the $40,000 CVO FL owner that was tore up that his iPhone 6 wouldn't fit in the CVO's holder. I thought that was just awful You are on point.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

I have lusted over a Rushmore road King but I found out that I love my softy, so we are shopping for the needed items to transform the FB from a 100 mile ride into a 300 mile a day scoot (no iron butt mileage for me). And darn sure it will cost a whole lot less than a full-tourer and look more awesome doing it.

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 10-30-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Them touring guys probably get so distracted by all those technical features, gadgets and gimmicks of their bikes they simply forget about the mere joy of riding .

Now go ahead and me...
I think this kind of sums it up...and I don't think it's an age thing, but more an attitude thing.
I have my rocker set up just the way I like it as far as comfort. It's the same way I hike...minimalist...take just what you need to get and forget all that nice to have stuff.
Besides being comfortable, I have a very nice and efficient leatherworks side bag which expands up for more travel gear. Long distance, 2-4 k miles, etc., I add a nice leather bag on top of my headlight handlebars and if needed a tool bag on the forks...

That's it, keeping it simple makes it more fun and relaxing...my entertainment console is spread out before me on the road, scenery and beauty out in the country side...

Not an age thing thing for me ever...LOL, my wonderful wife who would never ride too scared, continues to ask me after forty years, when I'm going to grow up...Not ever!...LOL.
Ride safe.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 AM
Road-Rash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only complain about missing my old Fat Boy.

If I could afford to have two bikes I would get a softail as my second bike. I wouldn't give up my Glide for one since it extends my riding season and rides so nice.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Im 57 and have NO, ZERO interest in a touring bike. I would also hop on my Softail and take it from coast to coast without hesitation.

Quick Reply: Softail Riders V Touring Riders, what a difference!