Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion

My ride: 2014 HD Heritage Classic

I already have a BAL light as my rear tail/brake light, but I also wanted to do a conversion that others on the forum have done: That is, convert stock amber signals to red running, braking, signaling lights. Harley Davidson to the rescue!

Harley sell the kit:
Auxiliary Brake Light/Running Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit-69461-06D
Part Number 69461-06D
$69.95

I have installed this kit, and let me tell you--for $69 it's a safety investment you may want to seriously consider. With now three red lights on my rear, I am more visible. And, with my BAL (Bright *** Strobe light), cagers stay respectfully to a safer distance. Of course, nothing can be done about careless drivers who text, drink, and/or phone while driving. But, I feel more lights enhance visibility, especially to my six. Also, lights are brighter than before.

The install is easier than anticipated and Harley helps out quite a bit by labeling wires and harnesses. Simply located the rear light harness, disconnect it, and install the conversion kit--it's that simple, folks. Now my tail lights (rear signals) are red, always on when the motorcycle is running, and flash as a brake light when I apply the pedal or lever.

I highly recommend this safety upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion-the-kit.jpg   Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion-oem-harness.jpg   Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion-connect-and-finish.jpg   Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion-stock-signals.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default synced?

are the signal lights synced to the BAL when the brakes are applied or are they just on solid? TIA.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did the all on red conversion 3 years ago. Now if I'm stopped to make a left turn or stopped at a light there is no reason for anyone run into the back of me unless they are texting or on the phone. They are super bright!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I been looking at these,, now I'm sold. Thx

Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been converting to all red since the plug-in became available. They should come this way,much safer.

Last edited by rideflhr; 10-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM
kcsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the first mod I did on my bike. Super Easy.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do this mod first thing every time I get a new bike. Also do the Bright *** Light. Love this mod and money well spent......

Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by threadstopper
are the signal lights synced to the BAL when the brakes are applied or are they just on solid? TIA.
on solid...just the BAL flashes....

Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Since everyone is concerned with "more light" on the rear of the bike, yes, I agree. Converting the turn signals to run/brake/turn signals does help.

Just an FYI:

You can take it one step further by converting your incandescent turn signals to LED turn signals. It does cost more ($179 for HD) but you get more light. The cost offset is that the HD LED turn signals, when wired per instructions, function as run/brake/turn signals. Therefore, there is no need for the $70 conversion kit.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the dealer to included this mod in the deal when I bought the bike. I have also had it on my other bikes and yes it is a good safety feature. Now add an LED bulb and they will for sure see ya. Last night coming home the wife was following me about a 1/2 mile or better behind. She said she could see me clearly and there was no doubt that there was vehicle ahead.

Quick Reply: Brake/Turn/Running lights conversion