Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those running straight pipes (no baffles)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default those running straight pipes (no baffles)

I'm trying to figure out if my issue is no baffles or a leak. I installed Bassani 36" true dual power curve Fishtails on my 2001 fatboy. No baffles and used oem gaskets. The exhaust is extremely raspy and pops ALOT. I ordered Big City Thunder baffles to use. But now I'm wondering if it may be a leak at the head pipe or is this just what baffless fishtails sound like? If so, I don't see how yall do it. The tone/note is not flattering.
I'm going to pick up screaming Eagle gaskets and check for leaks tomorrow using the smoke method and install the baffles. Just wanted to check with you guys.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM
mark killacky
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poping

Check to see if your air filter is also tight and gaskets are good , any leaks on intake or those pipes can cause that.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Jameson
Road Captain

That's what I'm thinking. It's so obnoxious it's kind of ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Over the years I've ran many different styles and brands of pipes and performed many exhaust experiments. I'll share what I've learned in bullet points.

-Removing baffles normally increases the sound in volume but, depending on the pipes, can create a Hollow sound.

-Removing baffles decreases back-pressure and can cause a loss in bottom end power and torque. This is more noticeable on short pipes.

-Altering the exhaust without re-tuning the bike can sometimes cause Deceleration Pop. On Carb'ed models Decel Pop can usually be cured by increasing the size of the idle jet. EFI bikes of-course must be re-mapped.

-It's good practice to always replace the exhaust gaskets every time the header pipe is removed.

I'm a fan of Big City Thunder baffles. Give them a try before re-tuning the bike.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I ran LongShots (not BigShots) for a while without baffles. Very loud (too loud according to some in my circle) with a great deal of decel pop. In order to reduce the noise level and pop for not a lot of $$$ I went with DKCustoms Thunder Torque Inserts. They made a world of difference in both sound and performance. Seems to me from my experience and that of others in here that Big Twins like some back pressure to run correctly.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Jameson
Road Captain

Thanks guys. After I install the new gaskets and bct baffles Ill look into rejecting if need be.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a Night Train with straight pipes. My then teenagers loved it. As loud as it was when accelerating, the popping when slowing was even worse. Very similar problems to those you described. I fixed the issue when I got the Heritage.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Jsimp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an acquired taste. The best thing to compare the decel sound is to a jake brake on a tractor/trailer. I love it...raw raunchy sound...cant beat it. I do take it nice and easy through the neighborhood and have learned the rpm and speed range to keep the noise down while going through sensitive areas.