Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail rear shock adjustment??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014 | 12:02 PM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear
Default softail rear shock adjustment??

Hello Everyone, im farily new to the forum and to HD motorcycle as well.
SO i have a 2014 softail and my rear shock seems to be very soft.
When i get on the bike the bikes seats lower, not to mention when a passenger gets on. Is there a way how to stiffen the preload or set the bike higher with the stock suspension with out affecting the handling of it
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-2014 | 12:07 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer

You can increase the preload by loosening the lock nut on each shock and then turning the shock body out toward the locknut with a special wrench that fits in holes in the top of the shock body (you'll need the wrench to get the locknut loose too). It will be necessary or at least very helpful to have the bike on a stand to get extra ground clearance, and it is important to adjust both shocks to the same preload distance. It does make quite a difference, as most of them are pretty soft from the factory.

Old 10-10-2014 | 01:39 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior

Danny didn't you get an owners manual with the bike? If not you might want to pick one up ar the dealer along with a service manual.

Old 10-10-2014 | 01:51 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Welcome to the Harley and Softail world.
A place where you enjoy life everyday you ride.

Start saving now for either Shotgun Shocks air suspension ($1200) or Progressive 422 RAPs ($500). You are going to want to upgrade the stock shocks.

In the meantime below are the instructions for adjustment of the stock shocks.
Not to plagiarize, these are not my instructions, I'm just passing them on.

Softail Shock Adjustment:
1) Jack the bike up so the rear tire is off the ground. The more clearance you have the easier it is. Don't forget to strap the bike down. You don't want it falling on you while you’re wrenching underneath it.

2) Loosen the jam nut all the way out. It’s a 1 1/16" nut. If it doesn't want to loosen easily (which is often the case), soak it in some penetrating lube. The spanner wrench mentioned in step 3 is also a 1 1/16" wrench.

3) With a spanner wrench (HD p/n 94448-82B) turn the adjuster plate counter-clockwise (so the shock housing moves towards the front of the bike) until it’s up against the jam nut.

4) Then take a light colored paint pen, or a piece of duct tape, and mark the 6 o'clock position on the adjuster plate to use as a reference point when doing your adjustment. Don't worry if they're not in exactly the same position on both shocks. That’s normal.

Now you’re ready to adjust the shocks to your weight/load.

5) With the spanner wrench, turn the adjuster plate clockwise no more than 4 complete turns by counting how many times the mark from step 4 crosses the 6 o'clock position. 0 turns is the stiffest setting, and 4 turns is the softest setting.

6) While holding the adjuster plate in place with the spanner wrench, tighten the jam nut up against the adjuster plate by turning the nut clockwise.

7) Now repeat the exact same process on the other shock. The key is to adjust both shocks equally.

The general rule of thumb I use is:
4 turns for load <= 180 lbs.
3 turns for 180lbs < load <= 235lbs
2 turns for 235lbs < load <= 300lbs
1 turn for 300lbs < load <= 375lbs
0 turns for 375 < load

Examples:
235lbs solo rider: 3 full turns
235lbs solo rider + 32lbs pack: 2.5 turns
235lbs rider + 150lbs passenger + 32lbs pack: 0.5 turns

Last edited by Bluraven; 10-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
BenWoody (07-26-2019), SG2019 (03-03-2021)
Old 10-10-2014 | 04:11 PM
MicahB339
Tourer

You can adjust the shocks without the hd tool.
You don't even have to turn the shock body.

loosen the front nuts on the shock studs
Then loosen the lock nut
Then turn the stud itself to adjust preload

Old 10-10-2014 | 07:39 PM
jameslopez
2nd Gear

I picked up a used 2013 Slim a couple months back and felt the rear was too soft as well, especially two up the bumps could be really harsh. I bought the tool and adjusted the shock, found that the previous setting which I assume was stock, was 6 to 6.5 turns out. I set it to 3.5 turns out and it's noticeably stiffer, but not too harsh for me solo at 180lbs and much more comfortable two up.

I was considering the progressive 422 raps but finding it harder to justify now after this adjustment.

Old 10-10-2014 | 07:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

To clarify: The further forward the cans are, the stiffer/higher the bike is.

Old 10-10-2014 | 08:15 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven

Softail Shock Adjustment:
1) Jack the bike up so the rear tire is off the ground. The more clearance you have the easier it is. Don't forget to strap the bike down. You don't want it falling on you while you’re wrenching underneath it.

2) Loosen the jam nut all the way out. It’s a 1 1/16" nut. If it doesn't want to loosen easily (which is often the case), soak it in some penetrating lube. The spanner wrench mentioned in step 3 is also a 1 1/16" wrench.

3) With a spanner wrench (HD p/n 94448-82B) turn the adjuster plate counter-clockwise (so the shock housing moves towards the front of the bike) until it’s up against the jam nut.

4) Then take a light colored paint pen, or a piece of duct tape, and mark the 6 o'clock position on the adjuster plate to use as a reference point when doing your adjustment. Don't worry if they're not in exactly the same position on both shocks. That’s normal.

Now you’re ready to adjust the shocks to your weight/load.

5) With the spanner wrench, turn the adjuster plate clockwise no more than 4 complete turns by counting how many times the mark from step 4 crosses the 6 o'clock position. 0 turns is the stiffest setting, and 4 turns is the softest setting.

6) While holding the adjuster plate in place with the spanner wrench, tighten the jam nut up against the adjuster plate by turning the nut clockwise.

7) Now repeat the exact same process on the other shock. The key is to adjust both shocks equally.

The general rule of thumb I use is:
4 turns for load <= 180 lbs.
3 turns for 180lbs < load <= 235lbs
2 turns for 235lbs < load <= 300lbs
1 turn for 300lbs < load <= 375lbs
0 turns for 375 < load

Examples:
235lbs solo rider: 3 full turns
235lbs solo rider + 32lbs pack: 2.5 turns
235lbs rider + 150lbs passenger + 32lbs pack: 0.5 turns

I think that's one of the best set of instructions I've come across, except that there is no need put the bike on a jack. Might be able to do it on the kickstand on some models. If there's not enough clearance to swing the wrench on the kickstand, drop the front wheel over a curb for increased clearance, and work in the gutter.

Another option is to lay the bike down on the grass on the left side. Done it all four ways, and I'd say that the quickest and easiest way is to lay the bike down on the grass.

Old 10-10-2014 | 08:21 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jameslopez
I was considering the progressive 422 raps but finding it harder to justify now after this adjustment.
Well I'm with you.
I felt the Heritage ride was acceptable but it wasn't until the wife started complaining did I upgrade to the Progressive 422 RAPs.

The 422s are a noticeable improvement but for $500?????
However for me the fact that the wife now finds the ride acceptable was worth the $500.

I hope I haven't started another suspension argument.

Old 10-10-2014 | 09:21 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I think that's one of the best set of instructions I've come across, except that there is no need put the bike on a jack. Might be able to do it on the kickstand on some models. If there's not enough clearance to swing the wrench on the kickstand, drop the front wheel over a curb for increased clearance, and work in the gutter.

Another option is to lay the bike down on the grass on the left side. Done it all four ways, and I'd say that the quickest and easiest way is to lay the bike down on the grass.
I always adjust the shocks when the bike is on the jiffy stand. My 2005 SE Fat Boy is an inch lower in the rear then a regular Fat Boy. I cut the handle on my open end wrench down to allow me to turn it. The cheapest HD spanner wrench, around $5.00, from the dealer has a short enough handle for the clearance.

The first time the lock nuts are loosened it can be very difficult since HD puts Loctite on them. After I adjust the shocks I just snug the lock nuts and don't put any Locktite on them.

The following users liked this post:
drummin1 (01-29-2021)

Quick Reply: softail rear shock adjustment??