Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail rear shock adjustment??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014 | 01:16 AM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear

Thanks everyone. A lot of helpful information.
Its funny how you pay 20k for a bike, but first thing you have to so is spend another 500-1500 on shock upgrades. I still need to get my
Highway bar, fish tail, and filter upgrades.
Great forum i really enjoying it.

Old 10-15-2014 | 10:52 AM
gchristopher9
Road Captain

I swung by the dealer to have them adjust my shocks this past week. Had to luck breaking the jam nut free without a lift, plus I bought the bike there and my friend is a service writer. They adjusted it two turns, which is soft of the happy medium between me riding solo and me riding with the wife and some gear. I gotta say I'm very happy with the improved solo ride. Can't comment on two up riding just yet though.

Old 10-15-2014 | 11:27 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dannyrider
Thanks everyone. A lot of helpful information.
Its funny how you pay 20k for a bike, but first thing you have to so is spend another 500-1500 on shock upgrades. I still need to get my
Highway bar, fish tail, and filter upgrades.
Great forum i really enjoying it.
Yea I wonder what Harley makes the most money off of; the bike sale or the upgrades after the sale?
Perhaps the need to upgrade is part of their business plan.

It took me a few years to cross other add-ons off my wish list before the list got down to where-as the shocks were higher on the priority.

My Wife and I don't tour on our Heritage and we are in good physical shape so the shock upgrades were more of a luxury than a need.

That being said I like my Progressives RAPs primarily for the ease of adjustment and it does improve the ride.

Shotgun Shocks air suspension is apparently the best suspension upgrade but most of us just can't get past the cost.
I will note though that the vast majority of those who have bought the Shotgun Shocks only regret that they didn't upgrade to them earlier.

Anyway enjoy your ride as it is and don't be in a hurry to upgrade things.
There will always be something out there to spend money on to upgrade your ride.

Old 10-15-2014 | 01:43 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Recently traded my Seventy Two for a 2014 Slim because of the horrid two up experience.
We're about 340lbs combined with our riding gear.
Seems as the third position might work best gor us.
Great thread and thanks for starting it

Old 10-18-2014 | 12:35 PM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear

Well IM attackin this job, loose the jam nut and turning the plate with the spanner wrench, but the whole bolt is tuning with it. I dont think the bolt suppost to be tuning; does it.

Old 10-18-2014 | 12:40 PM
MicahB339
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dannyrider
Well IM attackin this job, loose the jam nut and turning the plate with the spanner wrench, but the whole bolt is tuning with it. I dont think the bolt suppost to be tuning; does it.
You are correct

Either the bolt stays still and the body turns or vise versa

Old 10-18-2014 | 12:41 PM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear

Never mind, I got it.
Well see how this thing handdle.

Old 10-18-2014 | 03:06 PM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear

So after buying the spanner at HD dealer 12$ I did my 2014 softail deluxe with the instructions above; very good inforamtion. It took me about two hours which saved me close to 125$ to 200$
Thanks guys.

SIde note. I put the a color duck tape to see how many turn were out. and one of the shocks was 4 turns out and the other shock was five. fricking assemblers.......
After i turned the plate all the way in, i relocated the duck tape and went out 1 7/8 turns out, to be in the 375lbs range. Definitely way better ride
thanks again..
Danny

Last edited by Dannyrider; 10-18-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2014 | 07:45 AM
swifty
Road Captain
Default preload adjustment

So just so we are on the same page. If the shock is all the way towards the rear of the bike this is the minimum preload?????
I just did my heritage and both shocks were all the way towards the back of the bike. I assume that is the less than 165lbs set point. I then turned both shocks 1 and a half turns. Since I weigh 205. Is this correct. swifty

Old 10-20-2014 | 04:37 AM
Dannyrider
|
6th Gear

Yes that is correct Swifty, if the shock, canister, is all the wy to the back of the bike, that is minimun preload. with one and half turn would put you at about 400lbs.
I set my at 1 7/8 turns out, 375lbs wity my daughter and bike feels lovely
check this chart out:
The general rule of thumb I us
4 turns for load <= 180 lbs.
3 turns for 180lbs < load <= 235lbs
2 turns for 235lbs < load <= 300lbs
1 turn for 300lbs < load <= 375lbs
0 turns for 375 < load

Examples:
235lbs solo rider: 3 full turns
235lbs solo rider + 32lbs pack: 2.5 turns
235lbs rider + 150lbs passenger + 32lbs pack: 0.5 turns

Quick Reply: softail rear shock adjustment??